View Full Version : new to milling

Jacob Snow
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Ok i got some rough wood (not much maybe 15-20 bdft). What i am curious about is it better to just cut what i need (plus a bit extra) or have it all milled at the same time.

I don't have any of the milling equipment at home, so i have to go somewhere to have it done.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Jacob.....the way my projects run, I'd mill a little extra..........just in case.

lou sansone
04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Jacob.....the way my projects run, I'd mill a little extra..........just in case.

Good advise from ken
lou

Jesse Cloud
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
If it were a larger amount of wood and you had the equipment inhouse, I would definitely suggest milling just for this project (plus some waste - I use 10 - 50% waste depending on the job). But its amazing how fast 20 bd ft of lumber goes.

That milling equipment is a great purchase to consider. It will give you a lot more flexibility as to what kind of wood you can use and will improve the quality of the work you do by letting you start with truly flat and square wood. Plus, milling is a lot of fun - you see big differences in a hurry!

I'll bet there's a creeker near you who would be glad to let you use his equipment for a small project like this;)

Josh Goldsmith
04-12-2006, 11:32 AM
In you live in southern california you can use some of my tools! It is fun milling your own wood. I get alot of gratification after it is all done.

Guy Germaine
04-13-2006, 8:20 AM
Let us know where you live Jacob. Someone here, I'm sure, would be more than happy to help you mill it up. If you're in the St. Louis area, let me know. I also enjoy milling my own materials.

Jacob Snow
04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Kitsap/Bremerton area in washington.