PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe Advice

Daniel Heine
04-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Hello,

I am shopping for a new lathe. My son has a Shop Fox mini lathe, and wants to start turning some bowls and vases. My budget is very limited, and I was looking for your opinion on the Sears 12" lathe with the outboard turning spindle. This lathe has a round tube instead of a flat iron bed. What are the disadvantages of this kind of design? I have about $300.00 to spend, and I am looking for advice on the best tools in that price range. I have also been looking at the Rikon lathe, but the Sears seems to offer a lot more for he money.

Thanks,
Daniel Heine

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Daniel can't help you with that lathe. I have the Sears Pro 15" which is a pretty nice machine but more than $300. One unit you might look at is the Rikon Mini lathe. It is a 12" model and will turn probably a 11" to 11 1/2" bowl which would be the same as the Sears 12". Woodcraft has it for $249. We have a couple of people on here that have that lathe and really like it.

Jim Becker
04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Most folks are less favorable about round-tube lathes (which tend to be light duty, too) and they are much more difficult to fit jigs, such as steadies to. My suggestion is to stick with the mini lathe for now...you can turn very nice bowls and vessels on it...and save for a more substantial machine purchase as a later date.

Don Baer
04-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Danial,
I can't speak for the saers but I have the Rikon and can say for the money it's rock solid. Heck with $300 you can get him the lathe and a bowl gouge...:D

John Shuk
04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Daniel,
I'd stick with a mini for now as well. The Craftsman lineup usually has more bells and whistles but is also usually less substantial IMHO.

Jason Boushard
04-12-2006, 4:32 PM
I have a rikon as well and I love mine. I had a craftsman that I gave to a buddy it was a pain for him to set up and now looking at both machines I think I did the right thing buying my rikon. if you want a longer bed you can always get an extension.

Chris Barton
04-12-2006, 6:15 PM
If I were you and this is to be just hobby turning I would up my budget by about 1 c-note more and consider one of these...

I withdraw my suggestion upon Ernie's experience with a similar machine...

Bob Noles
04-12-2006, 7:15 PM
If I were you and this is to be just hobby turning I would up my budget by about 1 c-note more and consider one of these...

Chris,

I could have lived the rest of this week without you doing that :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Ernie Nyvall
04-12-2006, 7:53 PM

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg500/G/G0462.jpg

I respectfully disagree. I have a Grizzly and although it has a 2hp motor and a 16" swing, 600 rpms is too fast to start the rough out on say a 14" bowl or even a much smaller one. Also, the tool rest assembly is not big enough to do a big bowl. Without the extension on the tool rest, it only slides about 4.5" from center. The extension they have there... well I broke 4 of them before I got tired of reordering. They snapped into like tooth picks, and that was without a catch which is dangerous. I'm sure the lathe would be fine if all you wanted to do were spindles. I have several Grizzly tools that I really like... this is not one of them.

One other thing. If you're not near a Grizzly, you'd need to add another hundred for the shipping bringing it to almost 500. Of course you'll have to add shipping to any other that you are not close enough to drive to.

Ernie

Chris Barton
04-12-2006, 8:35 PM
I have withdrawn my suggestion based upon Ernie's experience...

Jim Davenport
04-12-2006, 8:39 PM
Ad my vote for the Rikon. I love mine. The slowest speed is 320, which is good for a 12" bowl.
I looked at the Harbor Freight, which if you catch it on sale can be had for less than $200. But again the slow speed is 600, and the quality is not near as good as the Rikon.
Years ago I had a "Tube way lathe" it had way too much flex for good work.
Did I say I love my Rikon?:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-13-2006, 12:36 AM
By now All know MY FEELINGS ABOUT RIKON. Best of both worlds. Bigger than most Mini's Priced as a Mini. I won't detail its features here, but have several times elsewhere on this site.

Bruce

Chris Barton
04-13-2006, 7:43 AM
Chris,

I could have lived the rest of this week without you doing that :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Bob,

You are so right. My fingers had a mind of their own on that post:confused:

Daniel Heine
04-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided on a Palmgren 15" variable speed lathe. 15" bowls inboard, and 20" outbard. 38" bed, and a 1hp motor that develops 2hp. I can't wait to get it!!!!

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Davenport
04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe that the "Palmgren" is the same machine as Bernie's 15" Sears Pro. I looked at one at Sears a while back. It looks like a good machine. I think Craftsman hase inproved their quality lately. I think you'll be happy with it. I thought about the Craftsman, but I'm spatailly challenged in the Magic garage. The Rikon fits on my workbench.;)

Don Baer
04-13-2006, 5:49 PM
I think that Palmgren is private labeling several tools for Sears. I know my C man Band saw looks a lot like the ones that Palmgren makes and it's one of the ones that Sears doesn't say is an import.

Bill Grumbine
04-13-2006, 6:03 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided on a Palmgren 15" variable speed lathe. 15" bowls inboard, and 20" outbard. 38" bed, and a 1hp motor that develops 2hp. I can't wait to get it!!!!

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan

I don't know if you have spent your money yet, but a mini lathe is fine for small bowls and a whole bunch of hollow forms. If you are wondering what kinds of hollow forms you can turn, goggle Mark Kauder and see some of his work. A lot of it was done on a Jet mini.

Bill