PDA

View Full Version : G0490 Jointer...Updated status

Marty Baucom
04-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone that might be thinking of ordering the Grizzly G0490 jointer read the e-mail I received form Grizzly customer service. I placed my order April 5th, 2006. I guess filling backorders in 4 to 6 weeks does not apply to all machinery.

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your email dated April 11, 2006.
After reviewing your order, I am showing that the G0490 is currently on backorder until approximately the middle of June. Once the item is received, we do fill backorders first. You will not be charged for your item until it has been shipped.If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely,
Customer Service
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

Ok guys.......Maybe someone from Grizzly read my post because here is the e-mail I received later in the day. This date is much better. I can understand the heavy demand of this jointer but over 10 weeks backorder time was a little much. This will be my first Grizzly tool so I am anxious to see if it holds up to what everyone here has touted it to be. I am holding off my order for the G0453 planer until my experience with the jointer. I welcome any opinions on this planer over my Dewalt DW735. Thanks everyone.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated April 11, 2006.

In reviewing my emails I have determined that I have provided the incorrect
arrival date for the G0490 8" Jointer. The correct expected arrival date is
approximately the middle of May. Once the item is received, and released
from our quality control department we will fill backorders first. You will
not be charged for your item until it has been shipped. I do apologize for
any inconvenience this may have caused.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Customer Service
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.
EN#888

Scott Coffelt
04-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't trust those emails. I was told mine would be like 60-90 days and it shipped within two weeks. Personally I think it is a cushion for them, but I also think it can sway people not to buy. Not sure what is better.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Maybe they are giving you the worst case estimate. Rather have a customer prepared for the worst and receive something better than....giving the best case and end up getting the worst case. To me....I'd rather know worst case.....then I can still change my mind about changing my order.

Mark Pruitt
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Whenever Griz has b/o'ed stuff I ordered in the past, it has always gotten delivered earlier than they projected. It's a CMA thing for Griz I suppose, but like Scott said, it does have the potential to backfire and cause someone to take their business elsewhere.

Over the last couple years, Griz has added new jointers to their line. I'll be interested to see comments about these newer machines as time passes. They had an 8"x65" that went out of production last year after being on the market for many years. It had earned a solid reputation; I got my hands on one at closeout price and have been delighted with its quality. I hope the same will be said of the newer ones! Good luck and hope the wait is short!
Mark

Rob Nolan
04-12-2006, 1:43 PM
I was told by Grizzly my G0490 was backordered and I would have to wait 4-6 weeks ... It came 2 days later! Go figure!

Bill Eshelman
04-12-2006, 2:10 PM
I wish my 1023 SLW TS would show up already,
I ordered it 2 months ago. Lucky for me my step dad
has a craftsman Contractor I could borrow.
I feel for you bro

Marty Baucom
04-12-2006, 9:42 PM
Bill I hate to hear you have been waiting so long for your table saw. Have you received any hope that it will be coming in soon? Maybe with the exposure we get here on SMC (Big guys at Grizzly hanging out) they will check into the status. Good luck

fRED mCnEILL
04-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Not sure what your problem is. When I order my 24 inch planer back in March they said they were backordered until end of April. MY choice then was to wait or get a planer somewhere else. I decided to wait. But ir was MY decision.

It would have been nice if they had it in stock but the planer is popular so they ran out.

Fred Mc.

Marty Baucom
04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Fred I WAS prepared for a wait. I was perfectly fine with a 4 to 6 week but I received an e-mail saying it would be closer to a 8 to 10 week wait. I did have a problem with that. If a company is going to advertise an item for sale I think it is their responsibilty to produce the item within a reasonable amount of time. Maybe you didn't read my complete e-mail before you responded.

Scott Vigder
04-22-2006, 12:38 PM
As the proud owner of the G0490, I can testify that the wait is unbearable, and I only had to wait five days from order to delivery. At this price, there is no alternative. You'll just have to trust me (and other owners) that it is worth the wait. Your fleet of tools will be proud to have this aricraft carrier in its group.
I own the DeWalt 735 planer, and have had it for slightly over one year. I can't imagine another 13" planer out there can do a better job. It is impeccably smooth. The chip ejection system works fabulously well. And if that is not enough, it is the easiest-to-service power tool on the face of the planet.
I have planed oak and cherry exclusively, and did not have to flip the knives over until at least 1000 board feet had been planed. All the controls and adjustments are up-front and clearly marked.
I did spring for the add-on extension tables, and have had zero snipe since. The attachment of the tables to the main unit is another excersize in excellent engineering; Simple, Strong, Snug Fitting.
I paid $449 at Hartville Tool which included a free mobile stand (it's solid as a rock, too) then went back and had to pony up an additional $49 for the extension tables.
I can honestly state between my new Grizz and this planer, my sanding time is reduced to 180/220+ grit finishing. Just in time for spring to take all that time I used for sanding and now I use it for mowing, mulching and other yard chores. It never ends. But at least I can finish before dark and have a brew!