PDA

View Full Version : re-bore dado set

David Mueller
04-12-2006, 1:14 AM
I am thinking of sending my 5/8" dado set (dadonator) to forrest and have it rebored to 1" to match my arbor on my 5959z. I do have a 5/8 arbor that I can put on but do not want to mess things up by changing back/forth. Has anyone ever re-bored a blade. Am I making to much out of nothing.

Dev Emch
04-12-2006, 3:02 AM
I am thinking of sending my 5/8" dado set (dadonator) to forrest and have it rebored to 1" to match my arbor on my 5959z. I do have a 5/8 arbor that I can put on but do not want to mess things up by changing back/forth. Has anyone ever re-bored a blade. Am I making to much out of nothing.
This is a simple but complex problem. Like many machine jobs, its 9 parts setup and 1 part cut. The boring is easy but you need to dial in the items to be bored and make sure you indicate for concentricity. There are few shops I would trust other than myself or Tony at Forrest.

I had my current dado king bored to 1.25 in for use on my martin T-17 but I will most likely rebore this set to 1.5 inches to match the more standard dado arbors used on larger saws. For example, most oliver table saws use a 1.5 inch dado blade bore.

Most oliver heads (zealots) use forrest blades and forrest has bored more than its share of oliver cutlery. I just wonder if they will bore out the blades from other makers however?

Good Luck...

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-12-2006, 6:51 AM
Absolutely. Any decent sharpener will apply the bore pattern from you machine maker's specs.
Chances are they already have it.
They can knock extra holes in the blades for those saw makers who use a three hole pattern for their hysteriesys brake motors.

Charles McCracken
04-12-2006, 7:16 AM
As mentioned already, reboring blades is no big deal with the right equipment and an experienced machinist. I recommend that you contact Infinity to be sure your warranty will still be intact. They may have a factory approved option.

David Mueller
04-12-2006, 9:29 AM
As mentioned already, reboring blades is no big deal with the right equipment and an experienced machinist. I recommend that you contact Infinity to be sure your warranty will still be intact. They may have a factory approved option.

That's a good idea, I just automatically thought of Forrest since they have done great work for me in the past with sharpening.