PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer Question

Randy Meijer
04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I have been wondering about the design of the water pumps in pressure washers. Are they basically just piston pumps like one finds in air compressors or are they a totally different type of mechanical devise?? Are the pumps in the cheap little HF units of the same basic design as the pumps in the top-of-the line units or do the good units use a different mechanism. Thanks.

Larry Cooke
04-12-2006, 1:22 AM
I have been wondering about the design of the water pumps in pressure washers. Are they basically just piston pumps like one finds in air compressors or are they a totally different type of mechanical devise?? Are the pumps in the cheap little HF units of the same basic design as the pumps in the top-of-the line units or do the good units use a different mechanism. Thanks.Randy,

There are two two basic types, piston and plunger pumps. As to the HF pumps I don't know for sure. I'd assume the HF's are piston pumps, and the basic design may be the same but I suspect it goes much further than that. Kind of like an engine with an overhead cam versus one with an internal cam.

Try this site for some additional info:

http://www.idswater.com/water/us/CAT_Pumps/Pressure_Pumps/27_0/g_supplier.html

It's like most anything, the better units have more to them so you'll get better results and more user comforts. Somehow I suspect you're up to buying an HF unit and modifying it for some dastardly deed! :)

Larry

Randy Meijer
04-12-2006, 4:42 AM
.....Somehow I suspect you're up to buying an HF unit and modifying it for some dastardly deed.....

Thanks for the information, Larry and sorry to disappoint you. I have nothing in mind, whatsoever, just my curiosity working overtime. I like to know how things work and I had never seen any information on the washers nor had one in hand to take apart.

BTW, do you know how grocery stores deal with mfgs coupons?? They take in so many every day......I can't imagine they have people sitting in the back room sorting all of those individual coupons. Do they just create some sort of a record from the information scanned at the checkout stand? Do they actually return the coupons to the manufacturer or is there some sort of a clearing house like there is for processing checks?? No, I'm not planning some dastardly project involving coupons either......just curious??:D