View Full Version : Small dish

Lee DeRaud
04-11-2006, 9:59 PM
Apparently the laser followed me into the Abyss after all.:cool:
More of a saucer than a bowl...maybe a "mini-platter".:p
Walnut and maple, 5" x 1/2".

Corey Hallagan
04-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Lee, that is incredible stuff. Dang, look at you turning out work like this! I mean I already knew you were a good wood worker but you have taken very well to turning!!
Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Lee............Who's setting a horrid pace.......WHO?:confused: :eek: :D

BTW..........beautiful work!

Barry Stratton
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Really, really nice Lee. Do all these glue ups mean you are using your flatland stock for turning?

Lee DeRaud
04-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Really, really nice Lee. Do all these glue ups mean you are using your flatland stock for turning?Yeah, but it's not even putting a dent in it so far.:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Now THAT'S CUTE, Lee!

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
04-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I recall bitching at you once about art and lasers and such during the initial feeding frenzy over that $2000 powercarver thing. What I failed to see then, and what I do indeed see now, is that the combination of a lathe and laser (laserather-?) has the potential for producing work that will be truly incredible. I am completely jealous of the potential at your fingertips.

Well done, Lee.

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Andy.

I've been trying hard since the day I bought that thing not to let the tool overwhelm the end result...hope I've made that clear.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Hey Lee that is one nice looking mini-platter. I like it. Nice contrast in the woods and nice finish. Great job.

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2006, 1:39 AM
I agree with every one's post. The only improvement I could suggest is let us see more of it, maybe a profile of the piece.

Barry Stratton
04-12-2006, 3:10 AM
Yeah, but it's not even putting a dent in it so far.:eek:

I'm sure there are a few folks around here that would be willing to "help" you work thru it!!! Hey, again - great work!

Barry Stratton
04-12-2006, 3:10 AM
Yeah, but it's not even putting a dent in it so far.:eek:

I'm sure there are a few folks around here that would be willing to "help" you work thru it!!! Hey, again - great work!

P.S. When we gonna see something out of redheart or paela????

Michael Stafford
04-12-2006, 6:14 AM
Lee, you are taking the layered bowl concept to new heights. I think if you continue on this path you will be onto something very innovative, original and rewarding. There are many opportunities here. For instance one could have a set of 4 small candy/nut dishes each with a design for each of the card suits for bridge players; you know clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades. Very creative, Lee. Nice work!!!:D

David Fried
04-12-2006, 6:20 AM
Very nice Lee. Now that my neighbors are getting to ready to moth ball their woodstoves for the summer I might get to try glueing up some of those little pieces!

I see from the postings I'm not the only one who has wondering about the laser/lathe potential. I was thinking about some of the interesting egde treatments we've seen done using burning tools and chatter tools and wondered what you might do. Guess I'll have to wait just a little longer!

John Hart
04-12-2006, 7:54 AM
I with Andy on this one....I'm really jealous of what you can acheive with this concept Lee. The potential has my mind going a million miles a minute. You're going to make some incredible stuff.

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 11:09 AM
I see from the postings I'm not the only one who has wondering about the laser/lathe potential. I was thinking about some of the interesting egde treatments we've seen done using burning tools and chatter tools and wondered what you might do. Guess I'll have to wait just a little longer!Actually using the laser to cut/engrave the sides of a turned piece is problematic: it really wants a flat surface to work with, as it cannot refocus the beam dynamically. About the best it can do is work on a cylindrical surface, using a rotary fixture to turn it (an $800 widget I don't own).

So it comes down to how much imagination I can bring to bear, doing stuff with flat pieces before they go on the lathe, and figuring out ways to keep the turning process from destroying what the laser did. We shall see.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
P.S. When we gonna see something out of redheart or paela????Soon, Barry, soon. I'm just trying to get to the point where I can do justice to those gorgeous chunks of wood. With the stuff I've done so far, if I bugger something up, all it does is make a tiny divot in my scrap box. I pull them out of the bin every day or so, look at them, visualize mass quantities of hamster bedding, put them back.:eek:

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Lee - In my head I see a combination of flatwork that get lasered and then glued up for turning. Since I have a big head, I see big convoluted three dimensional pieces. But since I don't have much going on inside that big head, the pre-lasering organizational layout skills would likely just send me to the liquor cabinet.

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I agree with every one's post. The only improvement I could suggest is let us see more of it, maybe a profile of the piece.Ok...not that interesting edge-on (it's only 1/2" thick), but you can see how the inset squares flow up the side:

Lee DeRaud
04-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Lee - In my head I see a combination of flatwork that get lasered and then glued up for turning. Since I have a big head, I see big convoluted three dimensional pieces.That's pretty much where I am now.:eek:

But since I don't have much going on inside that big head, the pre-lasering organizational layout skills would likely just send me to the liquor cabinet.Luckily, that's the part I actually know how to do.:cool: I just need to make sure the resulting glue-up doesn't overwhelm my rudimentary turning chops: "No, no, no...leave a big hole in the top...".