PDA

View Full Version : 13 of 32 done!

Tim Beauregard
04-11-2006, 8:41 PM
Finished the light king and queen today. Only a rook and 2 knights to do for the light side...and ALL the darks!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5832/747/1600/Chessmen05.jpg

Regards,
Tim B.

Corey Hallagan
04-11-2006, 9:45 PM
Wow! Nice work Tim, these are just fantastic and I can't wait to see the chocolate ones! What wood are you going to use for the darks?

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2006, 9:50 PM
Tim.....You are doing a fantastic job! Keep the photos coming!

Tim Beauregard
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm going to use cherry for the darks. It's special because it comes from my tree. I need to do some planing and glue ups before I can get going, and on Monday I need to go on a week long business trip. Can't wait to get back!!

By the last couple of pawns there I was getting fairly good duplication, but every piece is unique. Even still, it's clear that they are all a set.

Regards,
Tim B.

Corey Hallagan
04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
The Cherry will look fantastic!

Corey

Barry Stratton
04-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Looking REAL good. You are a better man than I taking on a 32 piece set.... Great job and from your own tree's, cool.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
You're really doin' a GREAT job eith those, TIM.

Can't wait to see the Knight.

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
04-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Well done Tim. They all look great, but the closeness in duplication is excellent. The subtle differences (noticeable only on close review) prove they were handmade and that increaes their value.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Tim they are looking mighty fine. I love the attention to detail. Great work. Can't wait to see the rest.

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2006, 1:35 AM
Looking good!

David Fried
04-12-2006, 6:38 AM
Whew! That is quite an undertaking!!
They look great!
Half way there - you're in the home stretch now!!

John Hart
04-12-2006, 7:45 AM
They look great Tim! So tell me...do you find yourself getting better as you go and then become disappointed with earlier pieces? It doesn't look like it. That's my problem...and the main reason I don't seem to get my set done.:o

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 8:10 AM
Hey Tim, you are SMOKING them pieces out!!

Way to go!!

Tim Beauregard
04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
They look great Tim! So tell me...do you find yourself getting better as you go and then become disappointed with earlier pieces? It doesn't look like it. That's my problem...and the main reason I don't seem to get my set done.:o

Howdy John. I don't find it a problem because I do not have high expectations of my lathe work. I started on this project KNOWING I am weak with lathe skills and am just glad that these are turning out to resemble each other. Andy said it great above, each one being a little different adds to the value. Unique little sculptures.

To Stu: Yessir! I think you should do a chess set out of red and blue keiyaki.

Regards,
Tim B.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Howdy John. I don't find it a problem because I do not have high expectations of my lathe work. I started on this project KNOWING I am weak with lathe skills and am just glad that these are turning out to resemble each other. Andy said it great above, each one being a little different adds to the value. Unique little sculptures.

To Stu: Yessir! I think you should do a chess set out of red and blue keiyaki.

Regards,
Tim B.

Chess, I hardly know how to play checkers :rolleyes: ;) :D

Mike Vickery
04-12-2006, 3:37 PM
Those look great, turning a chess set is one of the main reasons I got my lathe but I still have not started yet ( I have had my lathe for almost 3 years). I want to see the knights!