PDA

View Full Version : What kind of chuck

Jim Fleetwood
04-11-2006, 9:49 AM
I recently bought a "rarely" used Jet 1236 for $200. It came with a big old primitive looking 6" three jaw scroll chuck. I have also purchased a slow speed 8" grinder and the Wolverine sharpening system plus some various tools. It's a good think I got a deal on the lathe because the accessories are killing the woodworking budget. I'm thinking my next improvement will be a new chuck. I would appreciate some suggestions on brands, styles, sizes and anything else I should give some thought to before I make this purchase. After everything is said and done it looks like my first sucessfully completed project will be a an $800.00 candy dish.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2006, 9:54 AM
Darn.....and only $800?:D Jim......I'm a newbie turner. I received a SuperNova2 chuck with my lathe. It works well for me. I'm sure other more experienced turners will chime in!

John Shuk
04-11-2006, 10:02 AM
A chuck is a reasonably big ticket item but well worth having. There are a bunch of opinions out there. I have a Supernova and it works well for me at a reasonable pricepoint.

Rich Stewart
04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
If you talk to some of the old timers to turning they will tell you anything you can do with a chuck, they can do without a chuck. People turned for thousands of years without a chuck so you don't absolutely HAVE to have a chuck. They sure do make life easier though. I have three of the cheap ones that use the tommy bars that nobody seem to like. I love 'em. 50 bucks each vs. 150 to a couple hundred for the other high-end chucks. I think Grizzly sells them for about 50 bucks. Get at least one. You won't be sorry.

John Miliunas
04-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Jim, the SuperNova II, which Ken refers to is a great chuck!!! :) However, if you're trying to watch your budget a bit, the new G3 from Nova looks to be an excellent buy on a real nice chuck! It's a bit smaller than the SN II and a bit larger than their original "Compact" chuck, with the advantage of being a keyed unit, rather than one with those awful "tommy bars". :) :cool: