PDA

View Full Version : NE bottoms

Rich Stewart
04-11-2006, 9:41 AM
I ahve been interested in turning a NE bowl. I have done a couple small ones now and the problem I am having is, how do you finish up the bottom? Is a vacuum chuck the only way. Cole jaws won't grab the uneven top. Any cool ideas short of vacuum chucks?

Ernie Nyvall
04-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Rich, this is what I do: With my chuck on the lathe, I put a 3" pcv coupling on it for an extension. To protect the inside of the bowl, I put some rubber padding... some use a mouse pad, but I have some rubber drawer bottom covers from walmart. So anyway, the chuck, then the pvc, then the padding, then the inside of the bowl over that, then bring the tailstock up to the center of the bottom of the tenon. As I tighten the tailstock, I sort of wiggle the bowl back and forth and around to help center the chuck on the inside. Get it kinda snug and turn the lathe on. Touch the bottom with the tool of choice and if it slips, tighten tailstock more. If not, cut away. This will of course leave a small nub to be sanded or chiseled away from where the live center was.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Rich, this is what I do: With my chuck on the lathe, I put a 3" pcv coupling on it for an extension. To protect the inside of the bowl, I put some rubber padding... some use a mouse pad, but I have some rubber drawer bottom covers from walmart. So anyway, the chuck, then the pvc, then the padding, then the inside of the bowl over that, then bring the tailstock up to the center of the bottom of the tenon. As I tighten the tailstock, I sort of wiggle the bowl back and forth and around to help center the chuck on the inside. Get it kinda snug and turn the lathe on. Touch the bottom with the tool of choice and if it slips, tighten tailstock more. If not, cut away. This will of course leave a small nub to be sanded or chiseled away from where the live center was.

Ernie

I do essentially the same thing only instead of the pvc I just use a face plate that will fit inside the bowl. Put something soft like neoprene, mousepad, carpet pad, foam rubber, against the face plate and then hold the bowl against it while you bring the tailstock up. Put a little pressure on it, not enought to risk cracking it, and gently turn the bottom. The lop off the nub with a small chisel.

Rich Stewart
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks fellas. I will give that a try.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2006, 1:09 PM
I do the same as Ernie does. I got a PVC coupler that is 2" to 3" and glued a chamois leather over the end. Works great and unless you spin it very hard does not leave any marks or any marks I couldn't get out with lightly using 400 grit.