PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Nips of Fountain Pens

Edward E Wilson Jr
04-11-2006, 9:10 AM
Has anyone find a way to clean the nips on the fountain pens. I have given a couple of fountain pens away and shortly after getting them the folks tell me that the ink is not flowing through them.

Ed

Steve Hayes
04-11-2006, 9:41 AM
Try soaking in warm water then shake it out and give it a try. If it's real stubborn try adding a bit of alcohol.

Mac McAtee
04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Usually you can hold the nib under a stream of cold water, just the metal part, for about 15-20 seconds and it will dissolve the dried ink. Don't use hot water.
If someone put India Ink in the pen then you have to take it completely apart, nib, feed, feed holder and clean it compeletly. If the pen has sat unused for a long time, put the feed section assembly in a coffee cup full of water with a teaspoon of ammonia and a few drops of dish washing liquid in it and let it sit over night.

Go to drug store and get one of those rubber bulbs that are used to clean out babies noses. Cut the spout back a little at a time until you get a hole that fits tightly over the threaded end of the feed section. Fill the bulb with the ammonia/dish soap solution and squirt it through the feed section and nib, that will flush it out in jig time. Flush again with clean water, then with no water to get the water out of the feed.

David Fried
04-12-2006, 7:53 AM
... get one of those rubber bulbs that are used to clean out babies noses.

My youngest is 10 and I just threw away the rubber bulb figuring I'll never find a use for it! Too funny. Thanks for the info.

Mike Vickery
04-12-2006, 3:46 PM
Disassemble the nib and feed from the housing. Rinse all three in cool water (do not use warm in can warp the plastic feed). If the ink is being stubborn I sometimes let it soak in a cup of cool water for a while then dry.
What ink is being used? I have used several fountain pens and have not had this problem though I do clean in after every cartridge.

Someone mentioned india ink that is a big no no it has to high a concenration of solids for a fountain pen and can not be cleaned from the feed by anything that will not harm the plastic feed.

Personally I use Private reserve ink, it is economical and is a great quality ink.

http://www.nibs.com/PenMaintenance.htm this is a link for fountain pen maintanace advice.