View Full Version : OK, now you are all in deep do do......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-11-2006, 6:18 AM
....my shipment from Amazon arrived, and taking the recommondations from various folks here, I have "Woodturning, a Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley and "Tauton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning" by Richard Raffan :D

add to that my Grizzly chuck is on the way (Big thank you sir to one Barry Stratton) and I'm about to put in an order at Lee Valley for a few hunderd bucks worth of goodies :D

Oh yeah, the Dungeon is going to be knee deep in shavings like REAL soon, heck, I might even finish something before it blows up on me ;)

Cheers!

John Hart
04-11-2006, 7:23 AM
I was in deep do-do BEFORE you got your stuff Stu!!!:D I borrowed a Raffan book from the library. I find him to be refreshing with the way he presents fundamentals. Great pictures too!

David Fried
04-11-2006, 7:32 AM
Stu,

Those are the two books I have. I find they work well for me. For example, I've never gotten the hang of end grain hollowing with a spindle gouge like Rowley shows but doing it with my bowl gouge like Raffan shows works well for me!

Between those books and SMC you should have most the knowledge you'll ever need!

Enjoy! I still haven't made half the things they show you how to make - those books will keep you busy for a while!

Steve Ash
04-11-2006, 7:54 AM
Stu in do do.....sounds fitting.:D Reminds me of another thread somewhere.

04-11-2006, 8:01 AM
Stu in do do.....sounds fitting.:D Reminds me of another thread somewhere.

Hey hey.......... :rolleyes:

Don't you have a Chevelle to polish/paint...? or was that a lathe..... :D

Steve Ash
04-11-2006, 8:08 AM

well it's both do do,...err I mean Stu,:D
I take the Chevelle out of storage tomorrow and it needs to be washed, waxed and polished. Then I pick up the lathe on the 20th and it needs to be painted.
Thinking of painting it the original green with white (mayo) racing stripes....maybe find a place to stick a hood scoop and some racing stickers.

Bart Leetch
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
well it's both do do,...err I mean Stu,:D
I take the Chevelle out of storage tomorrow and it needs to be washed, waxed and polished. Then I pick up the lathe on the 20th and it needs to be painted.
Thinking of painting it the original green with white (mayo) racing stripes....maybe find a place to stick a hood scoop and some racing stickers.

Hey Steve is that lathe going to be powered by a 396 , 427 or maybe a 350 modified to a 383 ?:eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey hey.......... :rolleyes:

ROFL!!!!! Way to go....Stu-In-Do-Do!!!!!! :p :D

Barry Stratton
04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
All right Stu!!! I've got both those books - the pictures are great (still working on actually reading them.....)

Corey Hallagan
04-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Some how I have a feeling we may see our first lathe with a bowtie emblem or an SS or 396 badge on it!

Corey

04-12-2006, 2:15 AM
Geez, do I have to read the subject line to you guys slowly......

I'm not in deep do-do YOU guys are, as I'm going to be flooding the Creek with turnings in no time (well maybe next week some time... ;))

The books look great, I've only thumbed through them, no time to do much else yet, I'm sure they will be "go to" books, and I'll read them many times over.

Cheers!

Steve Ash
04-12-2006, 8:00 AM
Stu's do do and flooded creek banks....must be getting deep.

Corey,Bart, cool idea I'll have to do something like that.

You know Stu, you are gonna have to make some storage space in the dungeon for your newly aquired reading material.

04-12-2006, 8:06 AM
Naw, my reading takes place in the library, you know, the one with the nice cool white porcelain chair ;)

John Hart
04-12-2006, 8:29 AM
Naw, my reading takes place in the library, you know, the one with the nice cool white porcelain chair

That's odd Stu....I sorta took you as an "Up on the Roof" kinda guy.

Barry Stratton
04-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Naw, my reading takes place in the library, you know, the one with the nice cool white porcelain chair ;)

Really? And I thought I had figured out the reason all those tree's you've cut up had died...............................

04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Really? And I thought I had figured out the reason all those tree's you've cut up had died...............................

They did not die, they was murdered!! :D