PDA

View Full Version : Weedwhacker Update

Vaughn McMillan
04-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Since I asked the gang's advice (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33876) a week or so ago, I figured I should show the results. I found Stihl and Shindawa dealers in my area, and all of them are open only only during hours that are difficult for me to fit into my work schedule. (Being closed on weekends is not a good way to attract my business.) The orange or blue BORGs have hours that I can work with, so I ended up with a 2-cycle Troy-Bilt straight shaft. It has .105" string and a ninja-star brush trimmer as well. Consumer Reports gave the Troy-Bilt stuff a good review. Considering I only use a trimmer once a year (although I do I use it hard) it should do the job.

For the picture police, I failed to take any shots of the new tool itself, so this isn't an official gloat, but here are before and after shots of the hillside. It's about 10,000 sf, on a steeper hill than my back and legs would like. The brush cutter came in handy, since several areas were thick with a woody weed that doesn't yield to string real easily. Definitely don't want to be wearing sandals when you run that thing.

Before:

36266 36271

After:

36268 36269

Wish I'd noticed the pant leg was above my boot sooner. I'm still digging vegetation out of the boot.

My life must be pretty boring when the most interesting thing I can post about is weedwhacking my back yard. :p

- Vaughn

tod evans
04-11-2006, 7:40 AM
vaughn,now that you`re in practice pack up the wacker and come visiy me in the sticks...we`ve got 3.5 acres that need beaten into submission at the house.......02 tod

Andy Hoyt
04-11-2006, 9:14 AM
Vaughn - I find it interesting that you chose to spell the name of your new MVAD-H (Manned Vegetative Assault Device - Handheld) in the style suggesstive of a Sicilian heritage. Weedwhacker.

Whereas judging by what I've seen and read about you, and given your published Celtic lineage I'd have thought you'd have opted for the spelling reminiscent of a certain daft duck. Weedwacker.

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 3:49 AM
Vaughn - I find it interesting that you chose to spell the name of your new MVAD-H (Manned Vegetative Assault Device - Handheld) in the style suggesstive of a Sicilian heritage. Weedwhacker.
I figured that based on the name, it's linked with Troy, which can be connected to Rome, which, last I checked is in Italy, so whack seemed more appropriate. ;)

Whereas judging by what I've seen and read about you, and given your published Celtic lineage... What? Me? Celtic? :p

Personally, I'm not into this costume stuff. This was from a photo shoot I did to help the FBIL, the viking re-enactor and Ren Faire fanatic. As a tall long-haired blonde, I was the most "viking" looking of the group, so they allegedly dressed me as the chieftan. Meh...I have no idea. We got some good stares from other people in the park that day, though. ;)

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 3:58 AM
vaughn,now that you`re in practice pack up the wacker and come visiy me in the sticks...we`ve got 3.5 acres that need beaten into submission at the house.......02 tod Thanks for the invite, Tod, but I think I'm busy for the next few weekends. :) When you have that much real estate, bigger machines are definitely in order...right up your alley. I have a sneaking suspicion you've got something a bit more appropriate than the MVAD-H to handle the weed beatin' at your place. I hope (for your sake) that your land is a bit flatter than mine. You'd need a crawler tractor to do our hill. I'm happy to have the space (rare in LA), but I sure wouldn't want the slope much bigger. ;)

- Vaughn

tod evans
04-12-2006, 7:08 AM
vaughn, i really don`t need big machines for weedeating yet, we still have teenagers...02 tod

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 7:45 AM
I'm beginning to think that both of you guys could benefit from one of these.

This is a Mark I, Mod 0 IOVAD / SA - Independently Operated Vegetative Assault Device / Stands Alone.

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 4:38 PM
Mom? Is that you? Didn't I ask you not to follow me when I'm hanging out with my friends anymore, Mom? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 5:31 PM
Mom? Is that you? Didn't I ask you not to follow me when I'm hanging out with my friends anymore, Mom? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Vaughn - Ya better check under the hood. I think that's Dad!

Vaughn McMillan
04-12-2006, 6:07 PM
Vaughn - Ya better check under the hood. I think that's Dad!
Sorry, I was trying not to stare at the hangy-down parts.

Dad? What are you doing wearing Mom's makeup again?

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
04-13-2006, 4:31 PM
Dad? What are you doing wearing Mom's makeup again?

Dad to Vaughn - Had our monthly meeting the other night; didn't want to miss the demo on Ritualistic Pagan Sacrifices; and you never returned my rig from that other Ref Faire thing you went to. See proof below.

tod evans
04-13-2006, 4:38 PM
Dad to Vaughn - Had our monthly meeting the other night; didn't want to miss the demo on Ritualistic Pagan Sacrifices; and you never returned my rig from that other Ref Faire thing you went to. See proof below.

so now there`s akitas running rampant?

Vaughn McMillan
04-13-2006, 9:41 PM
Mmmmmmm...goat leggings. Nothing like 'em to take the chill off on those cool fall evenings during the sacrifice shindigs. :D Plus, chicks like them. :p

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2006, 9:49 PM
This is Ken in Idaho ......just shaking his head!:D