PDA

View Full Version : Bowls

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Well here are a couple of bowls I finished yesterday. One is black walnut that is 5" across and 2 3/4" deep. I am finishing it with Behlens Salad Bowl finish. The other is mahogany. It is 4 1/2" across and 1 3/4" deep. I am trying Formby Tung Oil finish on it. I also turned 2 boxes and they are drying after the DNA and have a cedar bowl from the neighbors tree in the DNA now. Anyway I don't think they are my best but pretty happy with how they came out.

Pete Jordan
04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Bernie

You did a great job on these bowls. How do you like the salad bowl finish? I am going to try some tomorrow.

Pete

Corey Hallagan
04-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Nice job Bernie Those bowls look great. I like the details you turned on them. More of that great walnut with the sapwood, very cool and the mahogany makes a nice classy looking bowl!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Nice work Bernie. I had no idea that Behlens would make them so bright. Looks good.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Pete I just tried it so far on 3 bowls which when cured will be put into service to see how they hold up. I am in the process of making a 8 salad bowl set with a 14" main salad bowl. I want to see what will work before I have to finish them. I have also ordered Mahoneys Fine Finishes to see how they will work.

Barry Stratton
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Bernie, those look fantastic! That walnut with the sapwood swirl is amazing....

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
You certainly have come a long ways Bernie! Nice bowls!

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Good job on the bowls Bernie!!!!! You GO Bud!!!!!:D

Ed Scolforo
04-11-2006, 6:28 AM
Bernie, nice work on those bowls! Let me know what you think of the Formby high gloss.
Ed

John Hart
04-11-2006, 7:16 AM
Nicely done Bernie. What did you think of turning the mahogany? We were just talking about this. I really like the way it turns and sands and finishes.

David Fried
04-11-2006, 7:36 AM
Bernie,

Oh great, another finish to try out! Hmmm...I've got some Tung Oil left over from another project :D

The bowls turned out great. I've got some Black Walnut in the backyard just waiting - hope it liiks as nice as yours. The light wood swirl is great and I do love Mahogany!!

Glenn Hodges
04-11-2006, 8:57 AM
Bernie thanks for the pictures. I like the walnut best of all, 'cause mahogany is just not one of my favorites. Now don't get me wrong I have turned mahogany I just like the dark and light contrast you captured with the walnut.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Nicely done Bernie. What did you think of turning the mahogany? We were just talking about this. I really like the way it turns and sands and finishes.

John I really like mahogany to. It turns so nice plus it sands and finishes well. I think when finishing though I am wondering if a sanding sealer would close the wood up a little. It takes several coats of lacquer to get a good shine but I sure do like turning it. That is a good wood to turn for a beginner.

Thanks for all the comments. Having fun.