PDA

View Full Version : Delta X5 15" Planer Experience?

Bob Winkler
04-10-2006, 4:14 PM
I'm very seriously considering the Delta 15" X5 planer and was wondering if anyone on SMC has this planer, or has some experience with it.

Although I originally wanted the Grizzly or the Yorkcraft, due to the demand of those units, the leadtime to get one is quite long, and I'm just not up to the hassle and wait of freight delivery, etc. With the Delta, I can go to my local tool supplier and get one in stock.

The price of the Delta is not an issue, especially since there is a $100 rebate and free mobile base offered. I do have some concern for the "motor over bed" design, which some say is dated and difficult to change knives with.

I'm looking for all input, positive or negative.

Thanks,
Bob

Steve Ash
04-10-2006, 4:23 PM
Bob, I got mine almost a year ago and I am very happy with it. No snipe, planer marks or any problems. I can't compare it to any others since this was my first planer, but I'm confident it will be my last.... as I'm sure it will last me as long as I need it. Good luck!

Robert Waddell
04-10-2006, 4:43 PM
Bob,
I've had mine about a year. I'm satisfied with it. Yes, the overhead motor makes knife changes more interesting but you never have to adjust the infeed or the outfeed with this design.
Rob

Matt Meiser
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I've also had mine about a year with no troubles. Haven't changed the knives yet so I can't comment on that. Much nicer than a lunchbox.