PDA

View Full Version : Reversing direction

Ed Breen
04-10-2006, 4:03 PM
I have a drill press (don't know the maker) but the rotation of the motor keeps turning the nut atop the set of drivers for the quill loosening or turning off. I tried reversing the two power leads but no dice. There are also directions for going to 220 written on the cover but no other instructions.. Any ideas?
Ed:confused:

Kent Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 4:22 PM
Is the chuck turning in the correct direction to drill holes?

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-10-2006, 4:45 PM
The direction of rotation causes the nut holding the spindle driven pully off?? Whaaattt? Really?

Please Find a manufacturer's name on the thing somewhere this should be posted.

In desperation you might try these options:

1.) Install a Jam Nut to lock tightly against the nut holding the pully's on. First apply some epoxy to the threads after cleaning them with Naptha.

2.) Tighten it good and tight - & - drill right through the nut and threaded part of the quill stem and jam a cotter pin in the hole.

3.) take the nut off. Drill some small holes (1/32 or 1/64 dia) at an angle from one flat to an adjascent flat through the corner without entering the threaded ID.
Drill at least one tiny hole thrugh the spindle just above the top of the nut. Use Steel wire to wrap the nut to the spindle wuith tension in the direction that tightens it.

4.) Install a castle nut inplace of the nut that's there. Drill a hole through the spindle inside one of the sets of the lock nubs on the castle nut & shove a cotter pin through that.

I'd try the Jam nut first - it'll be the most easy.

Ed Breen
04-10-2006, 6:27 PM
Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try.
Ed

Randy Meijer
04-11-2006, 1:01 AM
Think I would start off with some Loctite.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Think I would start off with some Loctite.

Locktite is epoxy: a one part anerobic curing epoxy.

Randy Meijer
04-11-2006, 11:15 PM

How interesting!! Never heard of a one part epoxy.

Norman Hitt
04-12-2006, 4:53 AM

Yeah, but DON"T use the Red Loctite, "(if you ever want to remove that nut again)". Use the Locktite that will hold, BUT CAN be removed when desired by applying adequate force with a wrench.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 6:06 AM
Red loctite comes off easy, with the application of heat, we use it on motorcycle stuff all the time.

That being said, the blue stuff is usually better for most things.

Cheers!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-12-2006, 6:54 AM
Yeah, but DON"T use the Red Loctite, "(if you ever want to remove that nut again)". Use the Locktite that will hold, BUT CAN be removed when desired by applying adequate force with a wrench.

Just about all epoxies go all to pieces at somewhere between 250 and 350 Deg F. Heat is always going to soften them. The question ends up being how much heat.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 7:51 AM
Yes, and sometimes you cannot easily put heat on the item, due to plastic melting around it :eek:.

One place I always use it is on the bolts holding on my brake discs, I slop a little extra on, so when it comes time to remove the disc, as I heat the part up, you can see the slopped on loctite melt. (and you just thought I was sloppy!) I no longer use it on my brake calipers, as the come off more often, I drilled all the bolts, and they are now safety wired.

Cheers!