PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished!

Shelley Bolster
04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
This, without a doubt, has been the longest job I have ever worked on. Now, in all fairness, half of the 6 months that these kitchen cabinets have been in my shop had me on the disabled list......the first injury was when I ran my fingers through the router when I stopped work on the cabinets to build the doors (for the same person - my niece) pictured below.

I am eternally grateful to Tod for explaining how to make a solid core door. Short form - I used 2 pieces of 3/4" birch ply laminated together then wrapped with 1 inch Douglas Fir lumber for the rails and stiles. The floating panel is a glue up of 2x6 fir. The windows are shop made and one of the muntins in them is the one that I was working on when my hand got caught in the bit. :rolleyes: It survived unscathed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3358sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3357sm.jpg

After the fingers were healed up good enough to start back up on the cabinets I was able to get a little over a month in, then fell ....long story, but ended up being off again! So......I estimate the cabinets would have only taken me 6 to 8 weeks at full speed. (...course I don't have a guided rail system or a slider.......just a alunimin guide which I use to make rough cuts and then clean up on the General - works for me :cool: ) I am kinda thankful that I was in the middle of this job when my accident happened - it forced me to get back in the saddle......I am not sure just how eager I would have been otherwise to continue WWing.

So - yesterday I completed by installing the crown - took a few quick pics - it was beginning to rain and my CMS was in the back of the truck. As you will see in the pics, the place is still under construction.....in fact the base cabinets which I installed a few weeks ago so they could put the tile and back-splash (which has yet to be stained) on, has drywall dust all over it......so please take that in consideration when looking at the pics. I was thinking about waiting to post until I could "stage" it better - after they are moved in but I have a list of jobs ahead of me so I might not find the time. :rolleyes:

Details.....carcass is 3/4 inch Birch plywood.....even the backs of the uppers......dealing with log construction adds to the mix a bit. Everything else is Douglas Fir lumber I got off a fellow here in town that has a sawmill.......all VG. This was my first time working with it and I am sold - I will definitely use it again. I used Medium Walnut Danish Oil and sprayed 6 coats on Satin Varathane. First time using Eruo hinges....again - Sold!! Drawers are solid pine- dovetailed......fulll extension slides. Knobs and pulls are cast iron - I really like the feel of the substance of them. The doors are flat panelled (glued up 1x4 without the use of the jointer) with M&T 2" x 1 3/8"frames. (the sash bit used for the glass doors calls for the frame to be 1 3/8" so the rest had to follow suit) The square pegs are 3/8" pointed oak that I ebonized ---thanks Mike Stafford for telling me the technique.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3356sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3352sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3353sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3351.jpg

Behind the wine rack was wasted space so I made this pull out shelf for hard liquor. Oh yeah - to the right of the rack is a hanging thing for wine glasses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3355sm.jpg

Lars Thomas
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Shelly, that's some beautiful work. It sure compliments the 'cabin' feel. Lars

Shelley Bolster
04-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Here are a few more that I took in the shop before installation.
Below is a pull out spice cabinet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3294.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3297.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3295.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3296.jpg

and a pic of the log home these are in........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3359sm.jpg

I want to thank Tod for all his help, advice and encouragement throughout the building of both the doors and the cabinets......man - you are the greatest!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Great work Shelley!

Steve Cox
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Absolutely beautiful! They really fit in the style of the cabin.

Ken Salisbury
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Fantastic work!

I believe you just made some of the "guys" jealous :D :) .

Keith Starosta
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
That is some very, very nice looking work, Shelley! You should be very proud of this job!

That's a great house, too!!! :eek:

- Keith

Rob Blaustein
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Beautiful work Shelley--lots of nice touches there. Glad to see you've recovered. Quick question--am I seeing it right--do some of those cabinets not have a back panel (pic #7--with the top drawer out)?
-Rob

Shelley Bolster
04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Nope Rob...not sure what you are seeing but they in fact all do have back panels......the base are just 1/4 as I used a web frame construction so didn't need the strength - the uppers have 3/4" because of the issue about mounting on the logs - they are still going to settle so that had to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Ian Barley
04-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Shelley

Beautiful work - quite simply beautiful.

Jerry Strojny
04-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Shelly. I love black accents on the doors and drawers. When are the tours? Great job. And glad to hear all the digits are back working in the shop.

tod evans
04-10-2006, 12:53 PM
nice work shelley! i didn`t do anything but give you a kick in the pants! you did all the work and deserve all the praise....02 tod

Lincoln Myers
04-10-2006, 1:30 PM
Very nice Work Shelley. I am inspired.

-Linc

Mike Zozakiewicz
04-10-2006, 1:48 PM
Great looking cabinets. They fit perfectly into that house.

Mike

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-10-2006, 2:07 PM
VERY nice Shelley, that is one heck of a job you have done, I imagine you are busting with pride!

:D

nic obie
04-10-2006, 2:09 PM
Good job Shelley!

Dave Richards
04-10-2006, 2:15 PM
Nice, nice and :cool:

Jan Williamson
04-10-2006, 2:26 PM
Now I am impressed! Nothing better than enjoying the fruits of your labor, and in the kitchen at that!! Beautiful!!

Helen Gee
04-10-2006, 2:35 PM
Wow Shelley! Those cabinets are absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

Bruce Page
04-10-2006, 2:37 PM
I'm feeling left out, all I get are the dreaded red x's. :(

Jim Becker
04-10-2006, 2:47 PM
BEAUTIFUL work, Shelley!!! Congrats on a job well done.

Frank Chaffee
04-10-2006, 3:18 PM
Shelley,
If I could do a fraction of that caliber of woodworking while *not* on the mend from accidents, I would be proud of myself!

Excellent design, as all the pieces combine to make a very efficient and durable modern kitchen in a traditionally built home, without looking pasted on. The added heft of the cabinet fronts is scaled well to the massive log walls, posts and beams. The pull out liquor shelf from behind the wine rack is an innovative and pleasant surprise. The slide out spice rack right next to the stove suggests to me that the designer is probably pretty durn handy in the kitchen herself, and is one of a relatively small and elite group of human beings whose mastery of life is not bound by preconceived gender training.

Most kitchen cabinet styles and constructions need to be updated every 10 to 50 years or so, but this kitchen appears to me to be as enduring as the log shelter it serves.

I see very well why your niece bawled tears of joy and gratitude when she first saw it installed in her home.

Wonderful, wonderful work Shelley, on all fronts!

Frank

Shelley Bolster
04-10-2006, 3:47 PM
Thank you everyone for such kind responses. I am happy with how they turned out - even happier that I finally have them out of my shop! Now I can start on some furniture for my new (and first) grandchild, 6 week old Rachel. This is going to be grandma's time to play - and I really feel I need that right now. I came really close with this job (and all the set-backs due to injuries) of closing up shop for good. :(

Frank - you are such a dear friend. :D Katie, my niece, wanted pine cabinets at first but I talked her into something more contrasting.....I figured the pine would just disappear into the logs. You are right Frank.....one reason for this style is to complement the massiveness of the logs. I thought they needed to look fairly substantial to create a balance. And, ya Frank - you are right again.......I do cook - lots. :rolleyes: Eating is a pass-time at my place - what everything seems to evolve around so having done so much of it over the years I guess does lend itself in aiding me in the design of kitchens that are functional.

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that I hate cabinet jobs......and I swear to myself that it is always the last until...........the next time. I have the utmost respect for you guys/gals that do this on a regular basis. I personally consider cabinets to be more or less furniture for the kitchen but with a couple of differences. A kitchen is probably the most abused area of the home and thus cabinetry has to build strong enough to withstand it. Unlike free standing furniture, cabinets have to be build around other structures and to precise measurements. They also, in most homes, will be there so long that the overall appearance must "livable". I really enjoyed working with Katie on the design of the kitchen and cabinets - she had some great ideas and valued my opinion when it came to functionality ect. But......that is not always the case so cabinetmakers often find themselves dealing with people that are basically, clueless.:rolleyes:

My hat is off to all of you cabinetmakers!:)

Michael Stafford
04-10-2006, 4:34 PM
Shelley, although I have been privy to in progress pics as you went through the construction process the finished product is absolutely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The design is just wonderful and the finish is terrific. What a beautiful job and how fortunate your niece is to have a craftsperson of your skill. Will you be my Aunt? :p I need to remodel my kitchen.....

lou sansone
04-10-2006, 4:51 PM
nice work and glad you have made a recovery.

I do have one big question though... why is the faucet running

lou

Dan Oliphant
04-10-2006, 5:24 PM
Top notch work there Shelley, the phrase "built by a seasoned craftsman" would apply here, well done!!!!

Allen Grimes
04-10-2006, 5:34 PM
Hey Shelley,

Sorry I didnt comment earlier, but I was installing a new antivirus.

Anyway, its about time you got those **** cabinets up:p. Seriously though, I have been waiting to see them in place and I am not disappointed at all with the outcome. To this day you are the single most inspiring woodworker to me. I have learned a lot from other woodworkers, but it is the inspiration that I get from you that keeps me going and wanting to learn more.:D

Your work never ceases to amaze me, especially when I remember that you are a little old lady:p. But seriously, I hope to be as good a craftsman as you someday, actually I want to be better, but even if I was only half as good as you, I would be a happy man:)

Great job Shelley. Now stop slacking off and get started on something new:mad:

Shelley Bolster
04-10-2006, 5:37 PM
Haha - I was wondering if anyone would catch the tap running. When I said I quickly snapped a couple of shots - I meant it........my husband was taking my tools out to the truck and Katie was washing some of the days coffee cups, while I grabbed the camera and snapped a couple. Also, the only light in the kitchen at the moment is a halogen work light on a stand so that is the reason for the distinct shadows. In reply to a PM I got wanting to know more about what I meant with regard to the construction of the doors.......this pic might clarify it some.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/shelleybolster/103_3154.jpg

Jerry Olexa
04-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Shelley, OUTSTANDING Work AND I also like the cabin setting, etc Nice job!!

Chris Barton
04-10-2006, 6:30 PM
Exceptional work Shelley! I have seen none posted here at SMC that could "best" this set of cabinets! Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 6:39 PM
Shelley, those are great cabinets and they really fit in well with the log house. In my books, six months is not long for a project, and it seems, in fact that your timing is perfect.

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 6:46 PM
Now I can start on some furniture for my new (and first) grandchild, 6 week old Rachel. This is going to be grandma's time to play - and I really feel I need that right now. I

Congraturlations on becomming a grandmother Shelley! Being a grandparenet is great, isn't it. And, my favourite projects and the toys and furniture that I make for children. I hope that you feel the same.

Erin Raasch
04-10-2006, 9:27 PM
Beautiful work, Shelley . . . not much I can add to what others have already said. I love all the little details, from the square peg accents to the clever use of otherwise wasted space behind the wine rack. You've incorporated some features that are part of my dream kitchen . . . some day, maybe! I'm glad you found the gumption to keep at it till the job was done, in spite of your injuries - must be really satisfying now just to step back and take a good long look.

Once the drywall dust is cleaned up and everything tidied up, you'll definitely have to go back and get some studio-quality pics for your portfolio.

Way to go!!

Erin

Mark Stutz
04-10-2006, 9:51 PM
Shelley,
These are just fantastic. Although it's been said, the design and choice of material is what makes them perfect in this setting. Of course without such execution, desing is nothing.
If you ever think of selling off the shop, just take a look at these again. You have way too much talent to hang up the tool belt.

Mark

norman mitchel
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Absolutely beautiful, great job. Now I am inspired to redo my cabinets at the cottage. Glad the fingers are alright.

Michael Cody
04-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Shelly -- quick question. How did you/they handle the non-flat walls behind the cabinents on the log wall section? IE there would be spaces there unless you inlet the cabinents or scribed the backs in place. Just curious? BTW -- I think my tag line fits this thread -- only hope you get to be famous too..

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
WOW Shelley!!!!!!!!!!!! The doors and the cabinets turned out GREAT!!!!! Very beautiful work!!!! I'm envious of your accomplishments. Congrats!!!!!!!!:D

Von Bickley
04-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Great job Shelley...

Bruce Page
04-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Outstanding craftsmanship Shelley! The style and tone fit the home perfectly (nice home too!) I think you should come and spend a few weeks in New Mexico this year. LOML want’s a kitchen redo, unfortunately, I’m lacking in ambition, time & skill!

P.s., I'm glad that you're healed up now - that was a nasty injury.

P.s.s., the pic’s worked fine on my home ‘puter.

Jamie Coffman
04-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Why is there always a woman assocaited with my feeling inadequate? Just kidding Shell, gorgeous job. I'm certain you didn't charge enough!

Shelley Bolster
04-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks again guys (and Erin ) for embarrassing the heck out of me :o ....really, you are all far too kind. :eek:

I'm certain you didn't charge enough!

Jamie - do we know each other?? One word - family :rolleyes: Actually, even if it wasn't a family thing, I still always under-estimate. :(

I think you should come and spend a few weeks in New Mexico this year.

Sure Bruce. ;) :p Glad you can see the pics now.

Shelly -- quick question. How did you/they handle the non-flat walls behind the cabinents on the log wall section? IE there would be spaces there unless you inlet the cabinents or scribed the backs in place. Just curious? BTW -- I think my tag line fits this thread -- only hope you get to be famous too..

That is a tough one Michael. I think the correct way to install in a new log structure to compensate for movement when the logs shrink, is to chisel a vertical dado of sorts - generally using a chainsaw, that a 2x4 will fit into - then the cabinets are fastened to that by the conventional hanging strip. They didn't want to do anything to the logs so I opted for the 3/4" back dado into sides - shelves dado into both sides and backs. This way, we could hang them to one log - the one that protrudes the most screwing anywhere in the back. Yes - they are not touching on all surfaces. After the building is finished settling, we might do some additional anchoring but right now we are just going to keep a close eye on them and watch for any changes/damage. Thanks for the tag line comment - wow!

Congraturlations on becomming a grandmother Shelley! Being a grandparenet is great, isn't it. And, my favourite projects and the toys and furniture that I make for children. I hope that you feel the same.

You know Frank, until Rachel was born on March 1, I was sorta bucking the idea of becoming a "grandmother". :eek: To me that was the same as saying "old". BUT - the moment she was born I found out what all grandparents kept telling me - it IS wonderful! Funny you should mention the furniture and toys for children. A while ago it finally dawned on me that that is what I would really love to do - specialize in making higher end kids furniture and toys. Other than building our house - the real reason I started woodworking in the first place was to make stuff for my own kids so that really is my passion. I can't wait to get started on Rachel's wardrobe and dresser.......not the conventional woodworking at all! :D Not saying anymore - but I promise to post a pic or two. :rolleyes:

To everyone who took time to reply - thank you so much. There are no finer words of praise or encouragement than those that come from your peers. :)

Brad Kimbrell
04-11-2006, 1:02 AM
Shelley,

I can tell that the person that designed these will also be the user. Such great attention to details! I love the peged frames, they remind me of the Greene and Greene style of Arts & Crafts furniture.

I have to ask...what is that pull-out above the refrigerater / on the wine rack?

Again, very nice work. Sorry to hear about the router injury. That sounds like it could have been very nasty! If it's not too traumatic could you tell us how it happened so we don't do the same thing some day? ;)

Pete Harbin
04-11-2006, 1:16 AM
Way to go Shelley! The cabinets look fantastic. That's quite an impressive home too. You really added to it.

Pete

Shelley Bolster
04-11-2006, 1:19 AM
I have to ask...what is that pull-out above the refrigerater / on the wine rack?

Again, very nice work. Sorry to hear about the router injury. That sounds like it could have been very nasty! If it's not too traumatic could you tell us how it happened so we don't do the same thing some day?

Actually - that was a surprise for my niece - it is sorta meant to be hidden although I did end up putting a knob on it. Because the wine rack only needed to be 1' deep, there was wasted space behind it so, keeping the with "spirits" theme, I decided to make a pull out shelf/drawer that is designed to hold hard liquor. I actually installed the 28" full extension drawer slides first, before assembling the rest of the cabinet because it is pretty near impossible to screw anything in such a tight space. So.....all was working fine and dandy - it was gliding like a charm until I went to remove the drawer to stain it and all of a sudden a bunch of ball bearings went running all over the floor. I have no idea how that happened or why but I was stuck having to remove the glides and improvise.......they didn't have any in Clinton so I had to make wooden runners. But - several hours later - it was working.

The router injury is documented here Brad. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26789

I don't know if my hand will ever be the same - kinda doubt it but, I am really lucky to have kept my fingers at all so I don't complain.

Oh yeah - the pegs did take a little time to make, ebonize (ummmm - wear gloves folk - we must have tannin in our skin cause you can watch yourself turn black if you get any on you :o ) mortise the holes and hammer the pegs in, but I really am happy with the results and would do it again on furniture given the chance.

David Rose
04-11-2006, 2:56 AM
Ken is good at understatements... when the need arises. :p

David

Fantastic work!

I believe you just made some of the "guys" jealous :D :) .

Vaughn McMillan
04-11-2006, 4:30 AM
Gorgeous cabinets Shelly, and you should be rightfully proud, but to heck with them...I want the house! :D Looks like a beautiful place in a beautiful setting.

Don't know what I can add that's not been said about the cabinets and doors, but everything is spot on. The style, scale, details, workmanship, the little surprises...everything. Very well done.

- Vaughn

Frank Pellow
04-11-2006, 9:37 AM
You know Frank, until Rachel was born on March 1, I was sorta bucking the idea of becoming a "grandmother". :eek: To me that was the same as saying "old". BUT - the moment she was born I found out what all grandparents kept telling me - it IS wonderful! Funny you should mention the furniture and toys for children. A while ago it finally dawned on me that that is what I would really love to do - specialize in making higher end kids furniture and toys. Other than building our house - the real reason I started woodworking in the first place was to make stuff for my own kids so that really is my passion. I can't wait to get started on Rachel's wardrobe and dresser.......not the conventional woodworking at all! :D Not saying anymore - but I promise to post a pic or two. :rolleyes:

Shelley, I am looking forward to seeing the unconventional wardrobe and dresser. Unconventional design is great in my books and, comming from you, I expect that it will be great unconventional design.

I you ever want to make some somewhat conventional children's toys and furniture, I can recommend the Reader's Digest book entilted "The Family Handyman Toys, Games, and Furniture" (ISBN: 0-89577-790-8). I have made amny many items from this book and they have all worked out to my satisfaction and been well recieved.

The most popular item has been the lego table. See the thred: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34659.

John Bailey
04-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Doors, cabinets and a house to die for. Great work - thanks for sharing.

John

Shelley Bolster
04-11-2006, 9:55 PM
Hey Frank........those are coooool! Now that is what I call some "playtime" woodworking. I hope you don't mind if I copy the pics out.

John, thanks and......congrats on making post 1,000! :)

Frank Pellow
04-12-2006, 7:25 AM
Hey Frank........those are coooool! Now that is what I call some "playtime" woodworking. I hope you don't mind if I copy the pics out.

Thanks Shelley. Of course, I don't mind. Please let me know if you end up making any of them.

Shelley, it just occured to me that some people who might be interested in the lego table might not see it here within your thread. I am going to make a new thread and move most of the material there.

later: I did this and the thread is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34659

Jason Tuinstra
04-12-2006, 9:59 AM
Shelley, I just got back from vacation. I'm glad I got back in time to see your post. You did a great job on this! The work is simply outstanding! Great job all the way around. You can be very proud.

Wes Bischel
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Shelley,
I can't add anything to what others have said except my humble respect. With your cabinetry work, you've created a truly unique and beautiful space for an obviously discerning customer (relative). Plus the doors are fabulous - I hope they are really, really appreciated every time that threshold is crossed!

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures - it's always a pleasure to see your work. Oh, and good luck with the grand-baby projects!

Wes

Tyler Howell
04-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Picture police super seal of approval:cool: .
I like the doors the best.
Well done.

Jerry Ingraham
04-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Wow, Shelley those are great! I like the inventive use of dead space. Great job.