PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
What a WONDERFUL weekend I had this weekend.

I picked up Mark Cothren on Friday morning for a trip to Mississippi to attend a BBQ at the Travis Stinson Home. 431 Miles later, we arrived at the home and shop of Mr. Stinson. I have over 140 pictures that I took while at Travis' place to capture a LOT of things we did.

Friday night was shop time, visit time with all those that made it to the bbq. Those that attended were:
Travis & Susan Stinson
Jim & Krista Ketron
Dick and Mickey Parr
Mark Cothren
Dennis Peacock
Rob Bourgeois
Keith Burns
and Bob (don't remember his last name) who attended and took some of his own style of pics. Thanks Bob for attending and sharing part of your life with us.

The pics are getting posted slowly but they are <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34495">here.</A>

A LOT of woodturning was done, discussions about technique, tool grinds, wood, segmented turning and such were all discussed.

I'd like to personally thank Keith Burns for giving us a wonderful demo on how to do an Open Segmented Form. Absolutely amazing!!!! Also, Keith got his first taste of turning "wet" wood. The expression on Keith's face while helping with his Natural Edge Cherry bowl was priceless IMHO!!!!! I think Keith is hooked!!!!!

Watching Jim Ketron and Travis on turning various things, forms, bowls and such was just amazing. It was great to stand there and watch the masters at work.

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend with a wonderful bunch of woodworkers that love do to things on "that spinny thang".

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I worked on the "Honey Do" list on Saturday.......Drooled over Travis thread about the Southern Turning Spectacular......

Sunday....worked in the yard....turned my second bowl.....Drooled over the multiple replies to the Southern Turning Spectacular.....

Still wiping drool!:D

Jim Becker
04-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Saturday was a very rainy day here. We met with the architect on Saturday morning to go over some adjustments to the sketches for our proposed addition and will hopefully have some more formal drawings next weekend. I have to say that some of the renderings I've done in SketchUp! have really helped move the process along, both from the "here's what we're thinking about" stage in the beginning to the "here's what we discussed might look like" stage we are at now. Next we get into details...and then find out how much we really need to regret not winning the PowerBall lottery... The remainder of Saturday was pretty low-key as I picked up a head cold in Denver this week and it was fighting me hard.

Sunday, after a slow start due to said head cold, I prepped the mower deck, put it back on the Kubota and did the first cut of the season...earlier than past years, but with the warm winter, it was worth it. I also relocated some fence components where a new driveway will enter the roadway and used them to fix some broken sections along another area. We also spent about two hours at a local park/playground, enjoying the sun, etc.

I did THINK about woodworking, however...and will hopefully get to do a little this week as the girls are on spring break from school and I took the week off. Maybe...some dust and chips will fly...

Tom A Walker
04-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I managed to get a couple of coats of poly on the mirror I'm working on. Another couple of coats and its done. More importantly, I managed to get the deck railing and gate up. It took about ten hours over two days (The little one seems to have a way of breaking up work days) but it came out pretty good. At least now we don't have to keep the dogs in by leaning baby gates up againts the planters!

http://www.tomandjaime.com/images/P1000304.jpg

http://www.tomandjaime.com/images/P1000302.jpg

John Miliunas
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Worked Job #2 Friday evening but, still got a pretty early start Sat. morning. Got the older lawn tractor out, as my buddy was coming over to borrow it and my huge concrete lawn roller. Had to take the mower deck off the tractor to get it on the trailer. Got him on his way and went back to cleaning the shop. Major, major undertaking, as there were 3 or 4 projects out of there in between cleanings and I'm sure it was before I went to the hospital at Christmas time since it was cleaned!!! :eek:

Buddy brought tractor/roller back Sat. afternoon, so I commenced getting part of our own lawn rolled. Ran low on gas and daylight, so back to the shop for more cleaning. Sunday, got more gas, rolled more lawn and started in on vacuuming the joint. Karl Laustrup stopped over, as well as another friend dropped in for a short visit. Karl & I then went over to check out some "cheap" Walnut a guy was trying to sell. $3.00 brd/ft. woulda' been a good price for decent Walnut. The stuff we saw was probably worth closer to $0.50 brd/ft.!!! :eek: Back at the shop, finished cleaning and then sat back and admired the way it looks. (Afeared now to start a project, lest it get messed up again! :rolleyes: ) Spent a bit of TV time with LOML and daughter.

Kept on eye on the Southern Turners Spectacular, wishing I was there instead of cleaning!:o

Hope everyone has a great week! :) :cool:

Don Baer
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
worked on the honey Do list, watched Nascar off and on while I was doing that, cut out the pieces for a Longworth chuck I am making, glued up some maple and walnut and roughturned a blank for a confetti lamp I want to make. More Honey-do's.

Tyler Howell
04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
A lot chasing with family and friends:( . I gotta get back to work so I can get some rest.:o

Scott Coffelt
04-10-2006, 1:54 PM
Watched a movie Friday night "Lord of War", it was OK.

Saturday, wound up going to the KC Royals baseball game, descent pitchers dual until the later ennings and KC won. On past years, that was not a common outcome. Later that day, I removed one of the vanities in our master bath and then installed the cherry vanity I recently made. I used the existing counter for the time being. Now I need to decide on handles and also start the second vanity. I'll order new tops and sicks once I have the secong vanity installed.

Sunday was spent watching the master's and the races. Also, took my wife to buy new LG washer and dryers. Started to design a medicine cabinet.

I'll post pics of the bathroom remodel when I get farther along, not much to report at this point.

Fred Voorhees
04-10-2006, 5:37 PM
Well, Ma Nature didn't cooperate with the weather for the dirt track races, sticking me with figuring out what to do with my Saturday. Spent hours in the shop, milling up 48 stiles and 48 rails for the current window shutter project for the bar room.

Sunday was spent with the "boys" watching the NASCAR event and making plans for some shad fishing on the Delaware River this coming Saturday morning and then switching gears after a handful of hours on the briney and heading down, hopefully, to New Egypt for the rescheduled opener.

David Duke
04-10-2006, 6:22 PM
Saturday was spent building shelving in a couple of upstairs closets as per instructions of SHMBO. Sunday morning mowed/trimmed the yard and spent the remainder of the day catching up on some quality time with LOML and my oldest son who had come over for the weekend.

Vaughn McMillan
04-10-2006, 6:33 PM
Saturday was primarily spent doing yard work, including about 3 hours weed-whacking the steep hillside in our back yard. Got it done with no major injuries...only fell once.

Shop-wise, got a couple of jig-type projects wrapped up (or nearly so), and worked a bit more on a pair of ring boxes I'm making. Got a chance to use my vertical TS sled, which I originally built to fit my Ridgid TS fence, and recently adapted to fit my new Incra setup. Also made good use of the new M12V, the Router Raizer, and Incra TS/RT fence.

- Vaughn

John Kain
04-10-2006, 6:44 PM
Tom, it looks like you and I have something in common this spring. We both have to clean and seal our decks.

Dog fence is nice though!

How long can I put that off????????????

Matt Meiser
04-10-2006, 10:03 PM
No shop time for me, other than installing a flat panel monitor on the shop computer. Saturday slept in until 10. Probably first time I've done that since my daughter was born (4 years ago next week) Ran to get salt for the softner and a few other things and came home and unloaded all 800lbs. Saturday night we took my daughter to my MIL's to spend the night and ran some more errands. Sunday was mostly dedicated to trenching in about 200 ft of drain tile in the bottom of a ditch I dug when we moved in 2 years ago. Turns out wet sand flows, so the ditch was constantly refilling itself. On top of that, the folks next door built a new house over the winter which pushes additional water my way. The drain tile goes from a catch basin to the ditch out front so that should solve the problem. Because it was so wet, I had to hand dig the trench in the bottom of the ditch the entire way. Finished up 60' more piping tonight and started backfilling the ditch. That will probably take a few more evenings now, plus a some time once the soggy area dries out and I can level it off. Did I mention I'm pretty sore? Hopefully by next weekend I can get back in the shop. Sounds like it will be a quiet Easter weekend as no one is coming in from out of town.

Joe Mioux
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
How I envy you guys.... with your Saturday's and Sunday's off.....

I spent the better part of 10-11 pm Friday cutting away the remaining bits of poly from the damaged greenhouse. Winds picked up Friday night a caused more damage. The greenhouse is really a mess now.

Saturday, worked from 7:30 until 5:00, could have worked more but I wanted to catch NYW, et al PBS stuff.

Sunday funeral work, picked up flower shipment at STL Lambert.... Detoured to Rockler and Woodcraft. I picked up some goodies at WC, namely the Pfeil chisel set. They looked pretty utilitarian and practical for their intended purpose. Got home around 5 and got out the waterstone and other sharpening accruitements. Spent the rest of the evening fine tuning:)

John Miliunas
04-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I picked up some goodies at WC, namely the Pfeil chisel set. They looked pretty utilitarian and practical for their intended purpose. Got home around 5 and got out the waterstone and other sharpening accruitements. Spent the rest of the evening fine tuning:)

Hey Joe, how about a little write-up on those chisels? :) Been looking at them myself but, wondering if they're a step up over the Hirsch chisels I already have. Thanks! :) :cool:

Bruce Page
04-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Decorated the shop a little bit, made a cherry picture frame for some work photos. The local Hobby Lobby provided the mat & glass.

Joe Mioux
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey Joe, how about a little write-up on those chisels? :) Been looking at them myself but, wondering if they're a step up over the Hirsch chisels I already have. Thanks! :) :cool:

I will try to get some pics and do a bit of writing on them. To clarify, I tuned -- sharpened half of them last night. Just fooling around with them, they shave (pare) across woodgrain really sweet.

As far as holding an edge, I will put them through the paces and follow up.

Joe

Pete Harbin
04-11-2006, 1:11 AM
On Saturday I attended the monthly Albuquerque Woodworkers Association meeting. We saw a presentation on wood bending techniques by Michael Mocho (professional woodworker who now teaches at Santa Fe Community College.) It was a great intro and demo on bent lamination, steam bending and hot pipe bending. Now I have something else to add to the list to try...:rolleyes:

I won a $20 Woodcraft gift certificate at this month's raffle, so I had to run over to Woodcraft before it burned a hole in my pocket. :D

I decided to pick up the slow speed grinder that is on sale right now. Now I have a new shop project to add to the list too...sharpening station. :)

Lots of Hockey over the weekend. The Badgers and Eagles made valiant efforts in a great NCAA Championship game. Wisconsin 2, Boston College 1.

I also started working on a rolling clamp cart, and hope to finish it up next weekend.

Pete

Bill Lewis
04-11-2006, 6:21 AM
I sorked some more on the Basement Bathroom project project. I attached the vanity to the wall, and caulked the counter, installed the shower valve trim, and tied in the water lines to make everything functional.

Consequently, I got to take the new toilet for a "test drive", I even had some reading material to make it official (FWW). ;)

John Miliunas
04-11-2006, 8:01 AM
Decorated the shop a little bit, made a cherry picture frame for some work photos. The local Hobby Lobby provided the mat & glass.

Bruce, neat pics and love that frame!!! :) If you don't mind, I need to "file" that idea for future use! :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2006, 8:27 AM
...but now it's over. :( Built a shelf unit to house tools, cut the grass, and began using my new chainsaw. Time ran out and I left the shop in a mess:mad:, oh well, it still looks better than it did a year ago.
Mark

Byron Trantham
04-11-2006, 8:29 AM
Spent the whole weekend working on a Bar for a client. I managed to get all the parts cut out from the sheet goods (11 sheets and that doesn't count the MDF yet to be bought!). This one is going to be long in the making!:o