PDA

View Full Version : Kohler vs. Briggs and Stratton

Michael Gabbay
04-10-2006, 8:39 AM
I am buying an Ariens zero clearance mower (stealth gloat :) ) and have the option of either a 15hp Kohler or Briggs and Stratton engine. I've never had a Kohler engine and was wondering if one was better than the other. There is a $200 additional charge for the Kohler.

The mower is only going to be used for cutting my grass and not in a commercial setting.

Thanks!

Mike

tod evans
04-10-2006, 8:53 AM
michael, when i bought the shop mower i had a choice of a 17hp kohler or a 22hp briggs for the same money.......i went kohler...02 tod

Steve Ash
04-10-2006, 8:55 AM
I've had both in the past but at present I am very happy with the 17 h.p. Kohler in my mower.

JayStPeter
04-10-2006, 9:21 AM
I vote Kohler ... unless there's a Kawasaki option.

Jay

Michael Gabbay
04-10-2006, 9:40 AM
Hey guys thanks for the response.

Any particular reason for the Kohler? I've not seem much on the web in terms of realiability issues for either one. Is this more of a Ford vs. Chevy debate?

John Shuk
04-10-2006, 9:43 AM
The Kohler is a better built motor But the Briggs Intek is pretty good too and probably fine for your mower. Just change the oil and you will go a long way. Jmho

Brett Baldwin
04-10-2006, 9:51 AM
Kohler is generally an industrial level engine. You'll see it on many job sites that have gas powered equipment like mixers, compressors, etc. They are very solid, simple and easy to repair. I've rebuilt ones that had been oil-starved and run without an air filter for months on dirt sites. You wouldn't believe what the piston and head looked like when I tore it down but the only real problem was that it was a pain to start. Once it was running it did its job even with all the damage. My choice of engines is Honda for smaller HP jobs (<10) and Kohler for bigger (>10).

Jerry Olexa
04-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm no expert but IMHO, Kohler is by far, a better engine and usually more $...

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
IMHO, Briggs ain't what they used to be. Kohler is a better motor.

Michael Gabbay
04-10-2006, 11:59 AM
I took everyone's advice and ordered the Kohler engine. Since I won't be in town later this week they are delivering it on Monday or Tuesday!

Here's what I got.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
You will be much happier with the Kohler. AFAIK Kohlers have a cast iron block and the Briggs is aluminum with maybe a cast sleeve. Kohlers are just a better engine.

Steve Clardy
04-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Kohler here also. Good engines.