PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Router Table Fence

Vaughn McMillan
04-10-2006, 3:43 AM
Here's a router table fence I built entirely out of the scrap bucket. It's mostly BB ply, some of it 1/2", some of it two 1/2" pieces laminated together, and a couple pieces of 3/4" construction grade ply underneath where they're not seen. The 1' thick main fence has a semicircle hole in it for dust collection, and is attached only with bolts, so it's easily replaceable. The back side is cobbled together out of smaller squares I had laying around, making a square dust port behind the semicircle hole. Although it's a bodge job, it's dead on square when attached to the Incra fence. (The stripe you see on the back of the fence is a plywood "plug" I glued in after cutting the dado for the t-track on the wrong side. It was too high anyway.)

Both halves of the 1/2" black UHMW "zero clearance" fence are adjustable side to side, and if I need to, I can shim the outfeed fence pretty easily. I would have liked the plastic ZC fence to be a bit longer, but that's the length I had on hand. It'll work fine for my typically small projects, and I can easily replace it with any suitable material if I need something longer.

So far I've only got a coat of BLO on the whole thing, but next time I'm finishing something, I'll probably put a clear coat of whatever I happen to be using on it. Either that, or I'll use up some of the water-based poly that I don't want on my "real" projects.

It's not fine woodworking, but it's accurate, does the job, and was essentially free. Maybe it'll give someone a few ideas for their own fence. Comments or questions are welcome.

- Vaughn