PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tool Question?

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-20-2003, 8:40 PM
SWMBO wants to get me (or HER) a few Turning Tools.................and seein's how I ALWAYS obey SWMBO, who am I to argue? :) She has been "Perusing" the Net trying to learn about the different types of tools for turning. She asked me if there is a difference between the Gouges that come with the various sets of turning tools, and Bowl Gouges. Well, I had to tell her that I wasn't sure............but I knew how to find out! :D When a set of tools lists "Gouges", in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", is one to assume that these are Bowl Gouges, or is a Bowl Gouge a totally different animal? She looked at one set, not sure which one, and she mentioned that it was a couple hundred dollars.........and then remarked "That's not too bad, I though they cost more than that." 'Bout choked to death, I did! Anyway, if someone could enlighten her, (and me) on the different gouges and their uses, it would help her, (and ME), learn a little about various turning tools. (She has the itch to turn, I can just tell!) Thanks in advance for the info. She has even been surfin' the Sawmill Creek............I caught her looking at the pictures of Turned items..............Ken, it's your fault for posting that beautiful segmented bowl! (She HAS to have one......of course!) :D

(I can picture it now, me and SWMBO fightin' like kids over the Lathe!)

Jim Becker
08-20-2003, 9:36 PM
It's generally a very bad investment to buy a "set" of turning tools. Many of them are substandard in quality, carbon steel rather than HSS and have things in them you will never need. All of the pro- and top non-pro turners I know recommend you make individual tool purchases.

What I generally recommend is the following for someone just starting out:

diamond parting tool
3/8" bowl gouge
3/8" spindle gouge
3/4" roughing gouge (for spindle work)
1/2" round nose scraper

Anything else you can buy as you need them. My good friend Phil Brennion also suggests a 1/2" skew, although IMHO, that is not a tool I personally use. If anything, once you get comfortable with the basics, a 5/8" side grind gouge, like the Ellsworth gouge, with some instruction is the next major step in my view...but your needs may very well be different.

As far as brands, the Artisan tools from Craft Supplies, Packard Woodwork's house brand and Sorby avialable just about anywhere are good choices. These are all great quality tools at value prices.

Don't forget you need to deal with sharpening and safety. A full face mask is not an option! Get one and use it, especially when your blanks are still rough and ready.

And your lovely should officially join SMC, too... :D

Tom Sweeney
08-20-2003, 9:58 PM
That's just not playing fair!

Could you have LOYL give a training session to LOML :D
I love her dearly & would give up WW'ing in a minute if she really needed me to - but she just doesn't understand this whole tool thing. :rolleyes:

SWMBO wants to get me (or HER) a few Turning Tools.................and seein's how I ALWAYS obey SWMBO, who am I to argue? :) She has been "Perusing" the Net trying to learn about the different types of tools for turning. ... She looked at one set, not sure which one, and she mentioned that it was a couple hundred dollars.........and then remarked "That's not too bad, I though they cost more than that." .... (I can picture it now, me and SWMBO fightin' like kids over the Lathe!)

Gary Hern
08-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi Kevin,

You could always make a trip over to the west side of the river for a few hours for some quick lessons.

I'm with the group that doesn't like "sets". With the exception of the Harbor Freight HSS set. I bought it when I first started turning, and although almost none of them are ground any where near the way they were when I got them, I still use them. Most handles have been replaced and profiles have changed. If for nothing else than HSS stock for specialty tools, they are a good value. Bowl gouges,,,as long as there HSS, they are good. The best value IMHO, is Rockler's Crown Pro PM pricing. If they still have it, they had the best pricing on it that I found. It's been awhile though. Get or make a fingernail grind jig. Very useful for beginners and experienced alike. As far as other tools, it depends on what it is that you want to turn. Visit other turners, and use their tools or have them demo'ed for you. You'll save some money that way.

By the way, most of that tree I got from you had shake very badly. Most of it was not usable. I cut a few pieces that were usable, but haven't been able to turn any of it. I should be able to try some this weekend if all goes well. If you want a piece if it is still good, let me know!

Gary

Terry Quiram
08-21-2003, 7:29 AM
Kevin

Don't buy any spindle gouges. You will be getting a pretty good assortment with the lathe. You will also get a couple sizes of scrapers and skews. A roughing gouge is a must. As far as bowl gouges, take Gary's advise and visit him and try out sizes and grind variations. When you identify a grind style you feel comfortable with then buy a couple sizes. After you get some experience you can experiment. Don't rush out and buy a lot of tools.

Terry

Kent Cori
08-21-2003, 9:43 AM
I too followed Gary's approach and bought the Harbor Freight HSS set for $30. You receive 8 different turning tools focused on spindle turning. At less than $4 apiece, this is a great way to check out which types of tools you like/need and also learn how to sharpen them. No matter how bad a job you doing sharpening a turning tool, you can usually fix it with a better sharpening job. However, even if you couldn't, $4 is not much to lose. That said, I still have all the tools in more or less their original grind profile. I use several of them frequently and have used all at one time or another. Just make sure you get the HSS set and not one of their carbon steel sets. It is Item 47066-0VGA for $29.99.

I've also added a Hamlet 3/8" spindle gouge, Sorby 3/4" oval skew, 1/2" Crown Ellsworth Signature bowl gouge (DON'T USE A SPINDLE GOUGE ON A BOWL INTERIOR!), and 1" Taylor bowl scraper. All are excellent quality tools but I like the Taylor the best and the Sorby the least simply because of the handle configuration. However, your preference will likely be different. Hamlet was the least expensive in general followed by Crown yet the quality is every bit as good as the most expensive Sorby IMHO.

I strongly second the thought regarding a face mask. Mine has saved me from some pain and cuts more than once. Safety should be your foremost concern. In addition, I recommend a dust mask like the Dust-B-Gone model that several of the woodturning equipment suppliers sell. There are others as well. You just want to avoid inhaling as much of the fine sawdust that results from sanding on a lathe as possible.

One other thought, get some videos and take a course or two at your local Woodcraft or equal if at all possible. It will accelerate your learning pace, make the experience much more enjoyable, and likely help you avoid a couple of minor injuries.

Good luck and enjoy turning!

Tom Sweeney
08-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Kent,
where do you buy the Hamlet tools? I did a google search & found some UK & Canadian suppliers - which is OK I guess shipping wouldn't be to bad for a bowl gouge - but was wondering if they are sold at any of the normal outlets?

also the prices I found seemed a bit higher than the Crown's at woodcraft -when converted from CD$ to US$ does that sound right or are they less expensive. they sound & look like nice tools from the web site - I'd like to check them out.Thanks

Richard Allen
08-21-2003, 1:24 PM
Hi Tom

Hamlet tools aren't difficult to find. They are well made and comparable to Henry Taylor, Crown or Sorby. Hamlet tools are generally available in 3 different steels M2 HSS, ASP-2030 HSS and ASP-2060 HSS. The price is higher for the ASP-2030 steel and still higher for the ASP-2060 steel. Here are some links:

Craft supplies caries the Hamlet line. (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/)
Packard caries the Hamlet tools as their house brand. (http://miva3.synergydns.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-pkrd)
Jacques Coulombe in Canada cares Hamlet tools. (http://www.jacquescoulombe.com/hamlet.htm)

Thanks

Carl Eyman
08-21-2003, 1:36 PM
When I couldn't find USA outlets with the carving tools I needed in stock, I turned to a Canadian supplier (Feather Animation). Not only did he have them in stock and the same price as Woodcraft (or was it Woodworker Supply?) but surprise! Surprise! when the credit card bill came in they were discounted about 35% due to the exchange rate. Couldn't believe it. Being Swiss made there were a couple of exchange rates involved, but I still don't understand it.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-21-2003, 8:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for their great advice and suggestions. LOML looked at the responses and was impressed. I appreciate the information, and I will heed the advice. Sorry to hear about the Magnolia Wood Gary...........I was really hoping it was OK..........I sure hope you can get some good out of it, after we "humped" those big dudes into your truck! ;) I may take you up on a few turning lessons. The items you brought along when you picked up the wood were inspiring and beautifully done. We have decided to hold off on Tool purchases until I know what I am doing, and am comfortable with the various techniques. We did however order a Sharpening Station, and I think I will be taking a close look at the Wolverine Jig System in the near future. We also checked out a few books and have a Video on the way, so that should help answer some questions as well. Face Shield and respirator are definites..........I do realize that safety is #1 when learning any new technique on unfamiliar equipment. I still have all 10, and I intend to stay that way! :D Thanks Guys!

Jim Becker
08-21-2003, 9:44 PM
...I think I will be taking a close look at the Wolverine Jig System in the near future.

Highly recommended. It lets normal people get an great and consistant edge on the tools...

Bob Janka
08-26-2003, 1:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for their great advice and suggestions.

Kevin,

One more suggestion: Attend a local chapter meeting of American Association of Woodturners. Their web-site is here:

http://www.woodturner.org/

I checked for Southern Illinois, and the closest I found was St Louis. No web-site is listed, but there is a contact person.

Even if you can't attend a meeting, check out some of the videos, books, and other resources at the AAW web-site.

Cheers,
Bob

Ray Dockrey
08-26-2003, 4:11 PM
I just got my lathe a little over a week ago and I have been very pleased on how things are going. I bought the Harbor Freight set of tools and they have worked very well. They also have a set of three of hss that are smaller that I have been using for pens and small things. I bought the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and that thing is sweet. No vibration and the white wheels are very nice. I also bought the Keith Rowley book "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" and it has been of great help. I built the grinding jig that he suggests in the book. It just gives you a bigger space to work on. I plan on getting the Wolverine system some time, but I am doing real well with what I am using for now and I haven't ruined any tools. Knock on wood.

robert hainstock
01-10-2008, 3:55 PM
I have been turnoing and buying tools to turn for a yery long time and I like to see them stamped HSS, (high speed steel), sheffeild, or soligen. or even some of the new better blends. I think one of the best on the market right now are the Doug Thompson tools. They are Cryogenicly treeated to rockwell 60ish hardness, andthus will last longer than any other steel on the market. :)
Bob

robert hainstock
01-10-2008, 3:58 PM
The Penn syate industries jig works the same as the wolverine at a much better price.

Chris Padilla
01-10-2008, 4:46 PM
Robert, you just brought up a thread that started and ended back in 2003!! :)