PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bowl...You don't have to be flexible to be a turner but it sure helps!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Well.......the LOML had surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Today the sun shone here for the first time in a week. She decides it's yard spring cleanup time....So she mows the yard ....well part of it....So I get to trim...finish mowing and lay down the soil sterilant on the driveways....I tried to talk her into letting me mow the whole yard but....37 years of experience.....waste of time....she ain't big but when she makes up her mind....look out....

Anyway between things on the "Honey Do" list....here's the Survivor Bowl.......This rascal survived a launching.....I redid the tenon and had finished its exterior and interior and was puting the final touch on the lip......boys and girls can you say...BIG CATCH?.....AS in a 3 inch by 3/4" rip out of the lip?.............Bad words came out of MY lips...Then I took another look at it...broke out the bowl gouge and went at it again.........Survivor Bowl.....survived a launch, a big catch and got shortened by about an inch.....maple/purpleheart/maple....5 1/4" by 2 1/4" 2nd bowl.......

Pat Salter
04-10-2006, 12:47 AM
If you don't say anything, everyone will assume you meant for it to look like it does....beautiful. ;)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-10-2006, 6:31 AM
Ken, this is just beautiful! How long have you been doing this again?:rolleyes:

Jim Davenport
04-10-2006, 7:04 AM
Ken
It looks like you won "the battle of the bowl". It turned out really nice. I like the purple heart band.

John Hart
04-10-2006, 7:12 AM
What a pretty bowl Ken. Yep...woulda never known it got injured. Great save!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-10-2006, 7:24 AM
I thought you had Bill G's video...... you are not suposed to tell anyone about those little "whoops" ;)

VERY nice looking bowl, you are really getting into this whole spinny thing aren't you!!

Cheers!

John Miliunas
04-10-2006, 8:32 AM
Dang it, Ken...I can't hardly believe how far you've come in a short period of time! Great job on the bowl and, had you never mentioned it, the "ooops" would even come up as a subject! Great job. :) :cool:

David Fried
04-10-2006, 9:01 AM
Yeah, what John said!

Looks really nice Ken! I can't believe I'm behind again, cheeze!:eek:
Guess I better get out to the shop tonight and start plotting against you!:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2006, 9:56 AM
Ken you may not have won the battle but you sure won the war. That is one beautiful bowl. I like the fit and finish. Great job sir. You did good saving that one.

Paul Douglass
04-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Beautiful bowl again, Ken. Keep'm coming!

Mind if I ask, what do you use: "lay down the soil sterilant on the driveways.... "?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Pau.....I believe it a Lilly Miller product.....Nuxoll(sp?).

Keith Burns
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Ken, you've done yourself proud. Great bowl:) Remember, catches just present design opportunities.:D

Ron Ainge
04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
ken<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You may have unknowingly made a better proportioned bowl by loosing that one inch of the top of that bowl. I like the one you made I believe better than I would if it were and inch taller with the wide band at the top. Good work<o:p></o:p>

Tim Beauregard
04-10-2006, 2:47 PM
If I were an apple I would be proud to sit in that there bowl. Beautiful!

Regards,
Tim B.

Ed Scolforo
04-10-2006, 4:46 PM
Ken, nice work, you're really coming along!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-10-2006, 6:38 PM
Ken.....................Those are design changes required by the character and stubbornness of the wood! You just cannot do what the wood doesn't want to do.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
04-10-2006, 7:07 PM
That llooks great Ken! You did a fine job... newbie..phooey!! Your doing great work!

Corey