PDA

View Full Version : I need a miter/crosscut solution

James Biddle
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
After I sold my contractor saw (and crosscut sled) and bought a Jet cabinet saw, I bought a double Dubby at the December woodworking show. I wasn't happy with the Dubby, through no fault of In-Line, and want an accurate solution I can use for both crosscuts up to 24" and miters for picture frames. Being space challenged, I'm hoping for a single solution for both. I've been eyeing the Jessum sliding table, but would like some input and alternatives.

Michael Ballent
04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Is your Jet CS a right or left tilt? The 24" crossut capacity will pretty much put you in the sliding table type config... I have heard good things about the SmartMiter by Jointech, or the crosscut sled from Incra. or you could just build a dedicated miter sled and a dedicated CC sled. Or a Festool MFT and their saw and some vac :) you were looking for some options :D

Brad Evans
04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd make two sleds; one for miters and another for crosscuts.

Here's a miter jig I made for making frames - works pretty good.

Brad
Urban pix: www.citysnaps.net

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/b-evans/Images16/MiterJigDuo.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-10-2006, 7:19 AM
Yah try the sleds before you pay for that thing. It may be great or mt may suffer from the failings of other add-on sliders. Either way if the sleds work well you won't have paid a lot of money for a limited use slider.

Jacob Snow
04-10-2006, 9:49 AM
Anyone have any good plans for a crosscut sled?

Jon Farley
04-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Quote: "The 24" crossut capacity will pretty much put you in the sliding table type config..."

I disagree...a sled to crosscut 24" (and even wider) is easily do-able. IMHO a good shop-built crosscut sled is the way to go and is just as good, if not better, than any of expensive commercially available ones. The last one I made was done with 3/4" MDF, with a piece of angle aluminum for a fence.

JayStPeter
04-10-2006, 3:07 PM
I have a homemade crosscut sled that can do 36". But, I've been searching for a better solution as it makes me want 3 arms to use. A sliding table would be a good solution. I think the JessEm can go to somewhere around 36". A Festool MFT and saw is another choice.

Jay