PDA

View Full Version : What tools don't you have and why don't you have them (other than price)?

Frank Pellow
04-09-2006, 8:55 PM
I now have a very well equipped shop, but I find that I frequently surprise someone when I tell them that I don't have tool X, Y, or Z.

I decided to put together a list of tools in this category -starting with the ones that are most obvious by their absence.

1) Vice: Three months ago I got rid of a "mediocre" woodworking bench because it was not worth the room that it occupied. It had two "sub mediocre" vices. So, I find myself in the very strange position of not having a vice in my shop. All my life, even when we lived in a small apartment right after our marriage, I have had some sort of shop and, until now, there has always been vice in that shop.

2) Woodworking bench: I have two general purpose bench and one Festool multi-function table (MFT) that I am making do with until I build a "proper" bench.

3) Router Table: These things scare me. But, I have recently decided that I will buy/make one in spite of this fear. That, along with the workbench, will be high up on my list of projects when I get back into my shop next autumn.

4) Combination square: I simply never got around to buying one and, as near as I can tell, there is nothing that combination square can do that I can't already do with some other tool in my possession.

5) Powered Miter Saw: What with my table saw, my MFT, and a good non-powered compound miter saw, I simply can't justify getting one of these.

6) Dado Blade for Table Saw: I much prefer making dados with a guided router.

7) Wood Lathe: I might get around to buying of these some day but it won't be for a long time. It is more likely that I will get a metal lathe, a forge, and some welding equipment. I did a lot of metal work in high school and really liked it.

8) Wood Moisture Meter: No excuse -I should have one.

9) Drum Sander: I simply don't need one of these. I have three Festool sanders and they easily handle all my sanding tasks. I do have the parts for a 18 inch V-Drum sander from Stockroom Supply and plan to get around to making the portable case for it "one of these days".

10) Mortising Machine: I have not had many projects where mortises were called for. The few mortises that I have needed to make were easily handled with drill and chisels. I expect that I will get one some day.

11) Dovetail jig for a Router: So far, I not made much that required dovetails, so have made do with cutting these by hand. As is the case with a mortising machine, I expect that I will get one some day.

12) Spray Gun: Up until now brushing and rubbing have worked well for me. I am only just starting to experiment with different ways of finishing projects and I expect that by this time next year I will have a spray gun.

13) Power Nailer: I don't like using them. I feel that I can use better nails and do a better job when nailing by and. And, I am very fast. Maybe, if I was working where time was money I would feel differently.

14) Compressed Air Machine: This is related to the previous two items.

15) Downdraft Sanding Table: Because of the great dust control with my Festool sanders, this would be redundant.

16) Radial Arm Saw: I am afraid of these and will never have one.

added later:

17) Biscuit Joiner: I don't think that biscuits are any better than dowells. But, I might buy the Festool Domino Loose Tenon machine when it becomes available in North Amrerica becuase loose tonons are better than dowells.

(18) Belt Sander. I find them quite hard to control. And, now that I have a Festool Rotex 150 sander, a belt sander is rudundant.

Michael Ballent
04-09-2006, 9:04 PM
Aside from price/money.... I would say that my most limiting factor would be the space I have available in the shop :( I personally would love to have a 22-44 Performax, and an oscillating spindle sander (although there are no projects that require it at this time)

I agree on the RAS, too scary for me, but I love my CMS

I would also never get a CNC machine, too complicated to run ;)

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 9:05 PM
Two more shapers.
One more table saw, leaving it for a dedicated dado doer. Lol

Outa room for more shapers, so will continue to use my dual router table setup for rail and stiles.

Another molder, so I could do half round moldings, window, door trim.
37" wide timesaver belt sander. 10 grand is a little hard to choke down, so i will stil with my dual drum sander.

Allen Bookout
04-09-2006, 9:06 PM
I don't have an oil filter wrench anymore. I do not mind saw dust but just hate getting greasy or oily. Never liked it. Time for someone else to do the dirty work.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-09-2006, 9:11 PM
Don't have and probably never will have a shaper. I know, a shaper will do things a router table can't, but I have only used one 3 or 4 times and never felt comfortable doing it. If there is one true fear I have in a wood shop, it would have to be a shaper.:o

Ken Garlock
04-09-2006, 9:21 PM
What I don't have, but plan on getting:

Edge sander.

Drum Sander

Planner

Downdraft sanding table (build)

Real workbench. I have been using a door on saw horses for 4 years.:eek:

Might build a panel saw for ripping plywood in the wood storage shed(aka garage extension.)

Frank, you need to find a new acronym, Microsoft already has MFT, Master File Table.:p

JayStPeter
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Frank,
Most of the things I don't have are due to lack of financial resources. So, I buy the things I need for a particular project and try to avoid the "hey, I think that would come in handy sometime" purchases.
I am a year into what I assume will be a multi-year effort to build a proper woodworking bench. That one is more time constrained than finance constrained. Since my next project is fininshing my basement, it doesn't meet my criteria for need right now, but it will be the first thing I do when I get out of construction mode and back to woodworking mode.

While I do have a long list of tools not currently in my show, my short list of items that I see having an immediate impact on my next couple projects is:

MFT - I can see this coming in handy finishing out the other half of my basement.

Mortiser - Upcoming projects have many. I'm tired of extra hand work to round over my tennons to match the radius of my router bits.

Veritas Med Shoulder plane - I did mention tennons, the LN rabbeting block does OK, but I can see this (or the large) giving a little more control.

Veritas LA Jointer - Flatten a bench. I'm not happy with all my bench planes, but I don't even have a jointer. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with this model.

Drum Sander

Pin Nailer

Somewhere in there, I really want to upgrade my planer. I just went through my benchtop and got it functioning nicely again, but it'll wind up back in need of that again sooner than I'd like.

The main tool I don't have in my shop, for no particular reason, is a lathe. It sound appealing to have one, but also sounds expensive. I'd like to have a method I'm happy with for sharpening my hand tools before adding a whole bunch more things that require sharpening. I've decided to forego a lathe until I can afford a good one and all the necessary accessories.

I also have no excuse for not having a Moisture meter.

I am on the fence for the RAS. The shop I used to rent time had one and it was great for hacking long rough boards down before processing. It actually seemed safer for that than the methods I currently use. I would also like to run a dado blade in one for making dadoes in long boards. Unlike Frank, I prefer my dado blade over a router any day. Unfortunately, it's constrained by being in the table saw and can only do what I can safely run through it. Shimming the width is much quicker and easier than any method I've used to make non-standard width dados with a router. They regularly come up for sale in the classifieds, so I may pick one up sometime and evaluate if it's worth the space it takes up or not.

Jay

Rob Will
04-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I now have a very well equipped shop, but I find that I frequently surprise someone when I tell them that I don't have tool X, Y, or Z.
5) Powered Miter Saw: What with my table saw, my MFT, and a good non-powered compound miter saw, I simply can't justify getting one of these.

Frank,
I'm trying to imagine life without a CMS (powered) :eek: .
You're right....that one got me.

Rob

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
A bandsaw and the biggest factor is space. Just not much room for much more than a mini.

Corey

Bart Leetch
04-09-2006, 11:46 PM
My own shop building. That is a tool right? The place that my shop is in used to be a storage room here at 1 of the apartment complexes that the LOML & I manage. Hopefully & prayerfully when we move on to different work & into a place of our own with a nice kitchen for the LOML with a bigger shop area for me. I would even settle for a 2 car garage with the electrical breaker box in the garage. My dream is a 28' x 32' building with a 10' ceiling with a bathroom & deep sink & cyclone.

Paul Downes
04-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Sure could have used a drum sander and shaper this weekend.

Pin nailer is on the list.
Vacuum bag/stuff for veneering
cyclone dust collector
I have an old roof top air conditioning squirrel cage blower that needs to be made into a dust collector/filter. After this weekend of sneezing that's getting moved up the priority list.
wood working bench is in the plans soon.
I might be able to fit these items into the existing shop.

Got a commision over the weekend which might just pay for some of these items. The wife just rolled her eyes when I mentioned this. Looks like I'm going into the custom box making business. everything from pine boxes to quilted maple.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-10-2006, 7:13 AM
I don't have this because it's too damn big.
Otherwise the price is right.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-10-2006, 7:33 AM
Your lists are neat, fun to read and some good insights there too.

My biggest tool that I don't have, but that I really want, is a normal bandsaw. Big Blue, my re-saw bandsaw is really only set up to do that.

My lovely wife has recently discovered (:eek:) them curvy Queen Anne style of legs for furniture, and those should be cut on a bandsaw.

There sure are a number of other tools I'd like to get, like a smaller lightweight engine chainsaw for those adventures in bowl blanks at the side of the road trips, but that can wait, my little electric unit will run off the van's power converter.

Hand tools, well that is a whole nother can of worms, the list is endless :D

Cheers!

Robert Johnstone
04-10-2006, 7:40 AM
I don't have a lathe in part for the usual reasons--lack of space or funds--but mostly because I don't have the time to learn the set of woodworking skills required to become a proficient turner. I'm overwhelmed enough trying to master the many tools I already have. And yet. . .some day.

Tyler Howell
04-10-2006, 7:48 AM
I'm with Bart on this one. A free standing shop.
That 4 steps up, quick 90* turn at the fridge, and down a flight is a killer for an old man:o .

Per Swenson
04-10-2006, 7:49 AM
Frank,

I am with Mr. Clardy and Mr. Leetch on this one.

5000 sgft of concrete. Thats all. Heck I am the type of redneck

who would be happy with tarps untill I had the building around it.

Per

Jim Davenport
04-10-2006, 8:22 AM
I dream of a larger shop!!!:rolleyes:
Then a Uni-saw, and a Oneway lathe.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-10-2006, 8:27 AM
RAS....can't find a good one...they have mostly been abused 'round these parts.

PLANER...sold mine [22-560 with an impending problem] back in 02 and never replaced it...now I need to.

LATHE....space mainly...I need to redo the lumber storage and move it upstairs as well as the compressor and DC....time is the main enemy here.

John Kain
04-10-2006, 8:28 AM
Space is my limiting factor right now.

I NEED a new table saw very badly.
I NEED dust collection
I would like a bandsaw pretty soon.
I would like a planer soon

I'll be moving into a bigger house within the next 2 years, so I'll look around more then.............

Ed Labadie
04-10-2006, 8:32 AM
Still waiting on a bandsaw, up until now I hadn't found one the really appealed to me. With the release of the Grizzly G0513x this year that may change. I would really like a wood/metal combo saw, but the ones on the market now seem stripped down with no fence included etc.
Also keeping my eyes open for a shaper, sooner or later I'll find decent used one.

Ed

scott kinninger
04-10-2006, 9:43 AM
Bandsaw
I haven't been able to justify the cost yet. I am a novice and build mostly "square" things, otherwise I have been able to get by with a Bosch jigsaw, handsaw, or my table saw. I would someday love to try my hand at making veneers but I have plenty of other things to occupy my time until then.

Mark Singer
04-10-2006, 9:55 AM
What I have done for years is add a new tool as a new project comes along that requires it. I also like to learn new woodworking techniques...so a new project with a new technique often requires a new tool. This helps justify the cost and need and your ability and shop will grow concurrently

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 10:37 AM
What I have done for years is add a new tool as a new project comes along that requires it. I also like to learn new woodworking techniques...so a new project with a new technique often requires a new tool. This helps justify the cost and need and your ability and shop will grow concurrently
That's very good advice Mark, but it does not answer my question.

Mark Singer
04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Frank,
I would need a bigger shop to really add much...at this point I am doing a little upgrading of machinery...jointer/planer/mortiser should be coming today. The upgrading is difficult because I already have high quality tools. I really don't need any hand planes...I have many. I sliding saw would not really improve my woodworking and I don't have the space. My shop is layed out efficiently for the space and it could use some organization. I just added some Auriou Rasps ....I really feel like I have everything I need and as time permits I can continue making stuff. I have a vacuum pump and have not set it up yet...that will be a great tool.

Byron Trantham
04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Frank,
I would love to have a thickness sander - no space. I would love to replace my 6" jointer with an 8" - no space. Other than that, I'm good to go. Like Mark, I buy when the need arises - space permitting.

Jesse Cloud
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Frank,
Your question got me to thinking. I came up with four categories of stuff I don't have (due to other than $$ reasons):

1)Stuff I don't trust to be accurate - radial arm saw, laser guides on saws

2)Stuff I just don't like (spent my career in computers, happy to leave them behind) - CNC, laser burners

3)Stuff I need to find time to learn - lathe, veneering, some hand tools - would love to have these, but not till I have built some other skills - its easier to buy the tools than to build the skills;)

4)Stuff I would have if the shop were bigger - assembly table, more lumber storage, good mobile cart

Thanks for posing the question.
Jess

Lee Schierer
04-10-2006, 1:07 PM
1. I don't have and don't plan to buy a biscuit jointer. I see absolutely no advantage to owning one. There are lots of joints that are stronger and a loose fitting biscuit seems to offer no advantage to alignment for glue ups.

2. I don't have and don't plan to buy a lathe. While I've done some turning, it just doesn't thrill me to do turning. I must be immune to the lathe bug. After you have one or two bowls what do you do with it.

3. I don't have a splitter and don't plan on getting one. I can't see how they can work from a pure design stand point. The wood can't close up enough that a splitter that is narrower than the blade is going to help and a splitter equal to or wider than the blade will interfere IMHO. Before all you splitter owners jump me, do a cad layout of your splitter and blade set up and see what I mean.

There are probably lots of tools I should have, but haven't justified the price,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.

Steve Clardy
04-10-2006, 1:23 PM
1. I don't have and don't plan to buy a biscuit jointer. I see absolutely no advantage to owning one. There are lots of joints that are stronger and a loose fitting biscuit seems to offer no advantage to alignment for glue ups.

2. I don't have and don't plan to buy a lathe. While I've done some turning, it just doesn't thrill me to do turning. I must be immune to the lathe bug. After you have one or two bowls what do you do with it.

3. I don't have a splitter and don't plan on getting one. I can't see how they can work from a pure design stand point. The wood can't close up enough that a splitter that is narrower than the blade is going to help and a splitter equal to or wider than the blade will interfere IMHO. Before all you splitter owners jump me, do a cad layout of your splitter and blade set up and see what I mean.

There are probably lots of tools I should have, but haven't justified the price,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.

Not jumping. Just don't understand.

tod evans
04-10-2006, 1:33 PM
frank, the only tool i`d really like that i don`t curently own is a very nice norris infill smoother...main reason for not owning one......it`s a luxury i don`t need.......................yet..02 tod

Jan Williamson
04-10-2006, 1:38 PM
I need a jointer real bad. I was given funds to buy one but ended up using the money for DC ducting. I plan to build a thickness sander though, similar to the one in the current shop notes magazine. Only it will have it's own 1 hp motor.

Reg Mitchell
04-10-2006, 1:46 PM
good question Frank...I don't have a lathe.....I would, I think< like to do some lathe work but the thought of that tool catching on the workpiece and flying up and sticking in my head runs chills down my spine. I have seen what it can do thanks to a pic in her,I think it was, and the pretty much sealed my fate. No lathe :o

John Bailey
04-10-2006, 3:37 PM
Good List!!

1. Table saw - I find a radial arm saw is more convenient and takes up less room.

2. Bandsaw - I'm still looking for that perfect bandsaw.

3. Vortex - I hear you have to buy a lathe to get one of these, and I'm not crazy.

Bart Leetch
04-10-2006, 3:45 PM
Not jumping. Just don't understand.

"Before all you splitter owners jump me, do a cad layout of your splitter and blade set up and see what I mean"

Don't need to I've seen mine in action right on the saw. They work no question about it. It's a win win situation.

Jim Hinze
04-10-2006, 3:59 PM
* I have to finish my workbench, then that'll be satisfied.

* Don't have a moisture meter -- no excuse.

* 3hp Cabinet saw -- So far my old delta 2hp hybrid has performed well.

* a separate shop building (in the basement right now, about 1000 sq/ft)

Bill Ryall
04-10-2006, 4:02 PM
#1- Stand alone 800sq ft+ building. Had a 420sq ft shop in Pittsburgh, but the house in Maine doesnt have one- yet. Money is the big issue there.

#2- oscillating spindle sander. On the short list, and will probably be the next purchase.

#3- shaper. haven't really needed one enough to justify it, plus #1 is an issue

Vaughn McMillan
04-10-2006, 6:09 PM

Not jumping, but unless you've seen the difference between using one and not using one, all the theory in the world is just that -- theory. (Keep in mind that from a design standpoint, bees cannot fly.) Drawing a CAD layout does nothing to demonstrate the results one can get by using a splitter, just like a CAD diagram of new shock absorbers won't demonstrate how the change will affect a car's handling. In my case, it's not so much about keeping the wood from closing up on the blade, it's about keeping the wood aligned after it has passed the bade. All I know is that I get cleaner, more consistent rip cuts with the splitter than without. (And I've done a lot of rip cuts, both with and without a splitter, so I feel pretty qualified to make that statement.)

Back onto the original topic, I'd say a DC system, upgraded electrical service to my shop, a drum sander, and more shop space are on the top of my list. (The list is long, so why bore you with the details?) All are contingent on having the money to do it. I expect to eventually upgrade pretty much all the major tools (TS, BS, jointer, planer), but the current ones I have will get me quite a way down the road before I outgrow them, and even then, I expect to keep the old ones (space permitting) when I do upgrade.

- Vaughn

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 6:17 PM
Back onto the original topic, I'd say a DC system, upgraded electrical service to my shop, a drum sander, and more shop space are on the top of my list. (The list is long, so why bore you with the details.) All are contingent on having the money to do it. I expect to eventually upgrade pretty much all the major tools (TS, BS, jointer, planer), but the current ones I have will get me quite a way down the road before I outgrow them, and even then, I expect to keep the old ones (space permitting) when I do upgrade.
- Vaughn
So, you are saying that there are no "popular" tools that you don't have for reason other than money. Surely there are some that you just don't want.

Chris Barton
04-10-2006, 6:22 PM
So, you are saying that there are no "popular" tools that you don't have for reason other than money. Surely there are some that you just don't want.

Hi Frank,

I have been contimplating this question for a day now and have to say there are no tools I don't have for a reason other than money. And, for that fact, I can't really say that there are any tools that I can't get if I wanted. But, I am very happy with my tools and more is not always necessary or better.

Now, I could stand a 5,000 sq climate controlled shop. At just under 2,000 sq ft I am cramped.

Vaughn McMillan
04-10-2006, 6:42 PM
Good point, Frank. I got off track there.

I don't really want a RAS. Used one quite a bit in high school, but between my little CMS and a handsaw, I can handle the few rough crosscuts I need to do. Someday I'll possibly have a SCMS, but my current projects sure don't justify one. Other than the RAS, I can't think of anything that I don't want. There are several others that I don't currently need, but I wouldn't turn away from...like a shaper or spindle sander.

- Vaughn

Michael Ballent
04-10-2006, 6:48 PM
Now, I could stand a 5,000 sq climate controlled shop. At just under 2,000 sq ft I am cramped.

Chris your shop is larger than my house :D But my house is climate controlled ;) :p

Dan Larson
04-10-2006, 7:02 PM
Hi Frank,

Interesting question. Here's my wish list:

-trio of Veritas low angle planes (jointer, jack & smoother.)
-LN dovetail saw.
-LN bevel edge socket chisels.
-Diefenbach workbench.
-Shelix head for my jointer/planer.

A few other tools that would be nice to have, but I will probably live without for the foreseeable future:

-oscillating edge sander.
-drum sander.

Just a fantasy at this point:

-a separate shop building.

Dan

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 7:17 PM
Don, there are a lot of great things in your wish list. What I am also asking about is tools that people do not have and do not want and why they don't want them.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-10-2006, 7:37 PM
I don't do pocket holes so I guess there's a whole bunch of pocket hole jigs/machines I don't have and don't want.

I can't see a reason to buy a jointer longer than a nr 7 so I don't want a number 8.

I'm sure there are others, but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what I don't want when there are so many things I do want!

Allen Grimes
04-10-2006, 7:38 PM

16) Radial Arm Saw: I am afraid of these and will never have one.Ok well, both of those are tools that I will likely never buy, for pretty much the same reasons.

I don't plan on buying a jointer either. Because, I don't see a logical reason to buy/use one, but if I have trouble and think that I will need one, I will get it later. I dont think that will happen though.

I dont like biscuits so I will likely never buy a biscuit jointer. I would much rather use mortise and tennons.

Im not sure if I would bother with a Format Slider, or just skip that and go with a CNC machine, but that is too far in the future to talk about now.

That's all I can think of right now

Jeff Geltz
04-10-2006, 7:43 PM
I don't have a Leigh FMT jig and probably never will. I can make better looking M&T joints with my LN chisels and shoulder plane and I get a huge kick out of the look on people's faces after telling them they were made by hand.

I have a Mortiser and wish I didn't. It's never worked all that well. Now it collects more dust than it makes.

All the rest of the tools I wish I had but don't will find their way to my shop someday. These include: More LN chisels, a 3520B lathe, and a tablesaw with scoring capability.

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 8:01 PM
I dont like biscuits so I will likely never buy a biscuit jointer. I would much rather use mortise and tennons.

I don't like biscuits either so I wwnet back and added this to my original list. Thanks for the reminder Allen.

Bob Noles
04-10-2006, 8:10 PM
Frank,

Great Thread! I am shocked that no one has listed the infamous Rotozip to your list so I will claim it.

About the most usless tool ever made in my "opinion" ;)

Had one once and was so glad to relieve myself of that thing I could have danced at the time. So I am Rotozipless in my shop and all the better for it. :rolleyes:

Dan Larson
04-10-2006, 9:18 PM
Don, there are a lot of great things in your wish list. What I am also asking about is tools that people do not have and do not want and why they don't want them.
Oops, my bad...
Dan

Bart Leetch
04-10-2006, 9:34 PM
Frank,

Great Thread! I am shocked that no one has listed the infamous Rotozip to your list so I will claim it.

About the most usless tool ever made in my "opinion" ;)

Had one once and was so glad to relieve myself of that thing I could have danced at the time. So I am Rotozipless in my shop and all the better for it. :rolleyes:

I have used one many times to cut steel in places & ways I could not have done otherwise. I don't use it for wood work but the newer Sears model my friend has a plunge base & works good routing wood in a tight spot too. You just gotta use your imagination.

Jeff Singleton
04-10-2006, 9:50 PM
Well I think a Ramco or Timesaver 24" or 37" widebelt would be in order because my Wysong 604 edge sander and the Master 24" and State T-5 can't do all the sanding there is. I would also replace my T-5 spindle sander with a Master. I would aslo like a Altendorf F-45 or Martin sliding table saw, hay, this is my dream after all. You can also throw in a Whitney 105 planer with a spiral head. Don't really need anything else except a thicker concrete floor to hold up the 105.

Happy Splinters,
Jeff Singleton:rolleyes:

Marion Rood
04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Shaper, they scare me--power feed or not.
RAS, they scare me, take up too much space and I have SCMS
Lies-Nelisen Bench planes, at this time I am into wood planes.
Wood-rat, router-raizier and such. I have router table with fence. Works fine.
8 inch jointer. I'm happy with 6 inches :rolleyes:. I don't have room for more.
I could think of more, but I don't want to limit future shopping sprees.:)
Marion

Greg Koch
04-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Sorry, but it sounds to me like a thread looking for a tool to bash! :( Guess I'll go out and see if I can cut my fingers off cleanly with my dreaded and dangerous RAS...:eek: ROF ROF

Vaughn McMillan
04-11-2006, 4:08 AM
...I am shocked that no one has listed the infamous Rotozip to your list so I will claim it.

About the most usless tool ever made in my "opinion" ;) ...
I don't think I'd try using mine for fine woodworking, but there have been a number of little jobs that were too big for the Dremel, and too small for other tools I have. I used mine just last week to cut an oval hole in plywood that was in an ackward place that wouldn't fit a jig saw, and I didn't want to get out the coping saw. I've also used it to enlarge the holes in a ceramic sink that were just undersized for a new faucet. I could definitely live without mine, but it does come in handy from time to time. ;)

- Vaughn

Marion Rood
04-11-2006, 7:19 AM
Sorry, but it sounds to me like a thread looking for a tool to bash! :( Guess I'll go out and see if I can cut my fingers off cleanly with my dreaded and dangerous RAS...:eek: ROF ROF
I am happy that you like your RAS. I guess table saws scare some people. It scares me to bungy jump, but many people do it with out problems. I don't think I bashed RAS or shapers or lie-nielsen bench planes--I just said why I don't include them in my shop.

Frank Pellow
04-11-2006, 8:06 AM
I guess that some bashing is inevitable with this topic. But, I am happy to observe that there has been very little of that.

The question was worded and illustrated with generic tools rather than specific brands and almost everyone has stuck to mentioning generic tools.

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2006, 8:22 AM
Frank,

I am lacking a "real" workbench with front and tail vises also. Presently my "bench" is a wimpy 2' x 4' table and my "vise" is an old B&D Workmate. My goal is to have a new workbench in place by the end of spring, but it's looking like I'm going to have to build one, since the only one I've found so far that I really like "just happens" to cost $2000. :( (I was even toying with the idea of buying it until SWMBO reacted the way she did when I told her the price!:eek: :eek: :eek: )

One machine I am lacking that I plan to own within another year or two is a drum sander. I also don't have a mortiser, but none of my projects have required one. (Building a workbench might change that! ;) )

Had to laugh when I read your comment about combination squares. I own one and use it constantly for marking 90/45 cuts and for drawing parallel lines, but I think the biggest reason I use it is that it's so doggone convenient.

Your fear of a router table can be healthy. Just be sure to use featherboards when milling smaller pieces. I think that the jointer takes that role with me, but that's partly because my shop teacher in HS told us about a guy losing a hand and part of a forearm on one--a gruesome story that put the fear of God in me and lives in my memory 30 years later notwithstanding the fact that the rest of my memory seems to have gone to h--- in a handbasket!

Like you, I lack a moisture meter and it's time for me to get one, since I just bought a chainsaw and am beginning to cut "free" lathe blanks.

As for a buscuit joiner, I have a PC 557 and love it. It does make the jobs go more quickly for me.

Mark

Greg Koch
04-11-2006, 8:39 AM
"What tools don't you have and why don't you have them (other than price)"

"So, you are saying that there are no "popular" tools that you don't have for reason other than money. Surely there are some that you just don't want."

"What I am also asking about is tools that people do not have and do not want and why they don't want them."

I guess I just saw the question/comments differently....going from "don't have" to "don't want".

I don't have a CMS because I found a deal on an RAS first..., but I would like to have one later. I'd like several other things, but the $ comes into play.

Jamie Coffman
04-11-2006, 9:21 AM
Probably be a few months before move in and I'm already in a pickle over what goes where and how to keep things as flexible as possible. If I ever get off the fence about this damn GCSS I'll be able to figure out what to do w/ my other saws but a band saw would be sweet. Everything else, table, chop, dual router table, etc. is on rollers that are intended to allow me to pull them off of the wall when extra space is needed. Frank, the one portable that you mentioned not having was a biscuit joiner. When they first started becoming popular I made what was then a very unsure decision to buy and have never regretted. I am constantly amazed at the utility of these little buggers and how forgiving they are to work with. Just finished a rush job on a 3 story custom wooden stair for a high end home theatre showroom located in an old crooked brick warehouse. Customer provided a pile of mahoganey railings w/ a funky profile and treads that were all undersized. He had a tight deadline because the previous contractor just disappeared. I have a P/C and a DeWalt that we used to fab everything on site and it turned out great. The railings had multiple offsets and returns that were a challenge but it all worked out. Try it, you'll like it.:)

Frank Pellow
04-11-2006, 9:44 AM
Frank, the one portable that you mentioned not having was a biscuit joiner. When they first started becoming popular I made what was then a very unsure decision to buy and have never regretted. I am constantly amazed at the utility of these and how forgiving they are to work with. Just finished a rush job on a 3 story custom wooden stair for a high end home theatre showroom located in an old crooked brick warehouse. Customer provided a pile of mahoganey railings w/ a funky profile and treads that were all undersized. He had a tight deadline because the previous contractor just disappeared. I have a P/C and a DeWalt that we used to fab everything on site and it turned out great. The railings had multiple offsets and returns that were a challenge but it all worked out. Try it, you'll like it.:)
Jamie, I have tried them and I don't like them. But, I am glad that they work for you.

Bart Leetch
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
"Just stated a new shop"

I have looked outside & stated there is my new shop, there is my new shop, there is my new shop its never worked so please tell us how you stated a new shop into existence.:D :eek: :D

Jamie Coffman
04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I meant arted, I just arted my new shop:o

Hal Hanevik
04-12-2006, 2:47 AM
I am not sure what a "tool that you don't want" is? How is this possable? Never enough money, never enough time! What I really want/need is a bigger stand alone shop with ac/heat, hot cold running water, toilet facilities, and maybe the Binford Tool Girl as an assistant:cool: Other than that i am sure if I don't have it yet I will before much longer!

Mike Cutler
04-12-2006, 6:13 AM
All right here is my list.

1. A Shoptask Milling Machine/ Lathe Combo for metal work. I am sick and tired of buying extruded aluminium geegaws. I would like to make my own jigs and fixtures out of steel.

2. Lessons from Bruce Page on how to use Item #1. :D ;)

3. Oscillating spindle sander

4. Drum Sander/Edge Sander

5. A really nice set of mortise chisels

6. A really nice set of bench chisels

7. Planes. Shoulder, Low angle block, and #6. All high quality.

8. Complete set of riffers, rasps and files.

9. A Sjosberg bench. LOML saw one and tried to get me to buy it on the spot. I just don't have room for one though.

10. Time. I just don't have enough.

I'm not really a tool collector, per se. I usually buy a tool as I need it to perform a task I either can't do, or would be too time intensive to do another way. When I buy tools I am looking to save time, or increase the quality of what I am doing.

Nice thread you started here Frank.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-12-2006, 6:18 AM
All right here is my list in order or preference.

1. A Shoptask Milling Machine/ Lathe Combo for metal work. I am sick and tired of buying extruded aluminium geegaws. I would like to make my own jigs and fixtures out of steel.

2. Lessons from Bruce Page on how to use Item #1. :D ;)

3. Oscillating spindle sander

4. Drum Sander/Edge Sander

5. A really nice set of mortise chisels

6. A really nice set of bench chisels

7. Planes. Shoulder, Low angle block, and #6. All high quality.

8. Complete set of riffers, rasps and files.

9. A Sjosberg bench. LOML saw one and tried to get me to buy it on the spot. I just don't have room for one though.

10. Time. I just don't have enough.

I'm not really a tool collector, per se. I usually buy a tool as I need it to perform a task I either can't do, or would be too time intensive to do another way. When I buy tools I am looking to save time, or increase the quality of what I am doing.

Nice thread you started here Frank.

#1 totally agree, would love to get my hands on one too!

#9 :eek::eek::eek:

#10 I can help you with this one, it is a two step program

Step one: throw/give away or sell you TV

Step two: sleep less, sleep only 5 to 6 hours a day, and get a 30 minute cat nap around 3 to 4 PM.

Cheers! :D

Michael Gibbons
04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Lets see...

1) radial arm saw

2) hollow chisel mortiser

3) scroll saw

4) another router table

5) bigger lathe

6) HVLP sprayer

I' realized the other day that I could go to Woodcraft and spend $5000 and not buy anything over $300. I told the LOML that after the big machines are bought it will be the accessories and doo-hickeys that will kill me

Rob Bodenschatz
04-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I told the LOML that after the big machines are bought it will be the accessories and doo-hickeys that will kill me

I have a feeling you're going to wish you hadn't have said that. :rolleyes:

Stephen Dixon
04-12-2006, 1:02 PM
I don't really have a need for a computer controlled robotic welder but I sure would like to have one if I could afford it. If it's a tool want it.

Steve

Joe Jensen
04-12-2006, 2:58 PM
#1 for me is more space/freestanding shop. Space today is really the limiter for adding new tools. I currently have 2 bays of a 3 car garage dedicated to tools and the shop. When I have a large project ongoing, the 3rd bay is tied up as well. I currently have the following large tools
1) 10" table saw (sold PM66, Sawstop on order)
2) 3HP PM model 26 shaper (the shaper and table saw are tied together with extra cast iron tops to make a 7 foot wide solid cast iron table
3) 14" Dewalt (original saw company now) Radial arm saw. I have this set up as a dedicated 90 degree cutoff saw with a Biesmeyer fence, 8 feet on each side of the blade. I am using a 100 tooth 12" Forrest blade. Get perfect crosscuts on everything with this.
4) 14" PM bandsaw. Wish I had room to upgrade to a heavier saw for resawing.
5) Combination belt/disc floor standing sander. I use the disc a lot, but never use the belt. Wish someone made a good oscillating spindle sander / disc combo.
6) 6" stroke Rockwell Drill Press
7) 8" PM Jointer with a Terminus cutterhead
8) PM Model 100 12" planer
9) Oneida 2HP dust collector with ecogates to all machines
10) I didn't list the pile of small tools, but my single best purchase ever was a WAP drywaller 10gal vac with HEPA filter. This was ridiculously expensive, $1000, but it's amazing. better specs than the Festool and Fein for CFM, static pressure, and it's only 56 decibels compared to the Festool at 70 some. WAP was bought by Alto. Then have an new version that's only about $800. If you really want the best vac, this is it.

Wish List
1) Terminus or Byrd cutterhead for the Planer. Just need to decide, then I'm ordering
2) Oscillating Spindle sander, need to find space, I've needed one a lot lately. Looks like I'll buy the Jet unless someone comes out with a good one that includes a 12" disc.
3) Thicknessing sander, Woodcraft had a nice 24" drum sander, maybe from General?. I don't really have room for this, so...
4) Real hardwood workbench. I don't use hand planes and such, so I don't really need a true carvers bench, but I'd like one. I may be able to eliminate a rolling cart and fit one in. I'd have to build it myself. I am rebuilding the outfeed table for my new saw and I will make this one very solid to use for the same things.

When I get the 40x60 dedicated shop.
1) Widebelt sander
2) 24" planer with Termius or Byrd cutterhead
3) 12" jointer
4) 2-3 assmebly tables
5) downdraft sanding table
6) Heavy duty floor standing motiser

Dream
1) CNC Router and quiting my job to become a custom door and stair builder. Tooling cost for a 5 axis machine, about $300K new. Dream on...joe

tim rowledge
04-14-2006, 2:46 PM
Mike, don't waste your money on the ShopTask. I had one (there's even pictures on my website) and sold it after too much frustration.

It's not that there is anything dreadfully wrong with them - they're a long way from being precision metalworking tools but they do the basic job ok - it's just that they take so long to set up to get anything done.

A concrete example is in order. I wanted to make some small items for my model panes, see http://www.hobby-lobby.com/freuden.htm for a picture and note the little aluminium bits that hold the propellor blades. You'd think that would be a cinch, eh? Problem is that you need to use a centre drill to establish the centre hole and they're short so the mill head has to be low. Then you need to change the head height to fit in the drill chuck and drill bit. Whoops, there goes your alignement! Get that sorted and then put in the end mill to do the end slots. Dang, the quill can't reach so lower the head and realign... and so it goes on. It took me a weekend to do what would take an hour, tops, on a 'real' mill.

I'm not against multi-purpose tools by the way, my main WW tool is a MiniMax CU300, but I like to have ones that actually do the job(s) well.

Jesse Cloud
04-14-2006, 3:09 PM
Last Christmas my wife's brother got her a "woman's toolkit". It had all the usual stuff - hammer, pliers, screwdriver, etc. but they were all smaller than normal and had no heft to them. Needless to say, they couldn't drive a nail or turn a screw. She was furious, plans to get revenge this Christmas :rolleyes:

Corvin Alstot
04-14-2006, 3:58 PM
Mike, don't waste your money on the ShopTask.
. . . they're a long way from being precision metalworking tools but they do the basic job ok -
it's just that they take so long to set up to get anything done.
I'm not against multi-purpose tools by the way, my main WW tool is a MiniMax CU300,
but I like to have ones that actually do the job(s) well.
Tim/ What do you recommend instead. The curious would like to know.

tim rowledge
04-14-2006, 4:24 PM
Dang, I hoped nobody would ask that tricky question!

For a mill, you really, really want something that provides repeatability of setting; imagine if every time you raised or lowered your sawblade you had to realign the fence for square and distance.

You need a mill with a proper registered way for the head or a 'knee mill' where the table goes up&down. That way everything stays in good alignment. The nicest option is a second hand Bridgeport J type or similar but we're getting into noticeable expenditure here. In fact *anything* to do with machining metal gets expensive fast. Even the damn material is expensive!

My advice is make friends with someone that has already got a good, preferably CNC, machine :-) That's what I did...

Joe Mioux
04-14-2006, 9:15 PM
A hollow chisel mortiser.

I can cut a mortise, just as easily with a forstner bit chucked up in my drill press and clean up with some sharp chisels than I could with a dedicated hollow chisel mortiser.

It may take a couple minutes longer, but who cares. This is just for fun.

In addition to the above, all those jigs, that could be easily fabricated out of scrap wood.

Homemade feather boards v plastic, aluminum tapering jig v homemade, pushsticks, etc

Joe

Mike Cutler
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Dang Tim. That's a bummer to hear that the Shoptask,or Smithy's, aren't everything I had thought.
I have access to a complete machine shop, and the machinist's at work, if they are not to busy. I just wanted something at home to do some "lite work".

I've also seen, on that internet auction sight, that a real milling machine can be had fairly cheaply (compared to their new cost). The shipping costs would be steep though.

Time to do some more research, and thanks for the feedback.

Walt Pater
04-15-2006, 9:03 AM
-Drill Press. Some people can't live without them, understandably so. I've been able to survive without one. (OK, I do have one, but it has needed a belt for about 7 years and is currently used as a coat hook).

-Lie-Nielsen #9: Iron Mitre Plane. I just like the design. I would love one but probably will never be able to justify the expense. Just don't do enough handwork. If someone can justify the expense for me, please chime in.
Neat thread, Frank.

James Ayars
04-15-2006, 3:11 PM
Money factors into pretty much the reason for every tool I don't have. But here is what I can think of.
1. A belt sander. Not a bench top model as I would like one of those. I mean the hand held kind. I've never seen the need for one as my other sanders work for me. My friends that remodel kitchens, however, swear by theirs.

By back ground is more carpentry than wood working so I don't know enough to know which tools I don't want.

Mark Rios
04-15-2006, 3:44 PM
1) A large (medium sized to some ;) ) bandsaw, say in the 16', 18", 21" range;

2) A jointer, at LEAST 8" but preferably 10" or 12";

3) a true cabinet saw, something to cut plywood on, or at least 1/2 sheets of plywood.

Money isn't necessarily the issue, I need more space. My "shop" is my big trailer which has to house all my tools so the machines need to be mobile. Tools/machines roll out in the morning and back in at night. I have 5" casters on my work carts and they can roll over any crack or gap or bump. But even with a mobile base with the big casters, either of the above mentioned machines would need to be stored in the trailer and pushing 450 to 600 pounds up the ramp (or trying to stop it going down the ramp :eek: ) just isn't going to work, especially everyday. Plus, while the bandsaw would stand up inside the trailer with no problem, it would have to tilt a little to get through the door opening. I could probably do that once in awhile, very carefully, but I wouldn't want to do it twice a day; just too dangerous with something that heavy. My table saw is the only machine that normally stays in the trailer and I do all my cutting on it inside although it gets turned sideways to get any other carts/tools/machines in and out.

Right now in my life I work for a real estate guy and I live in the places that I remodel. This isn't going to change (I don't plan on it anyway) anytime soon so I'll just have to do without for now I guess. (sigh)

edit: Oh yeah......and a 24" planer would be nice too! :D

tod evans
04-15-2006, 3:46 PM
1) A large (medium sized to some ;) ) bandsaw, say in the 16', 18", 21" range;

2) A jointer, at LEAST 8" but preferably 10" or 12";

3) a true cabinet saw, something to cut plywood on, or at least 1/2 sheets of plywood.

Money isn't necessarily the issue, I need more space. My "shop" is my big trailer which has to house all my tools so the machines need to be mobile. Tools/machines roll out in the morning and back in at night. I have 5" casters on my work carts and they can roll over any crack or gap or bump. But even with a mobile base with the big casters, either of the above mentioned machines would need to be stored in the trailer and pushing 450 to 600 pounds up the ramp (or trying to stop it going down the ramp :eek: ) just isn't going to work, especially everyday. Plus, while the bandsaw would stand up inside the trailer with no problem, it would have to tilt a little to get through the door opening. I could probably do that once in awhile, very carefully, but I wouldn't want to do it twice a day; just too dangerous with something that heavy. My table saw is the only machine that normally stays in the trailer and I do all my cutting on it inside although it gets turned sideways to get any other carts/tools/machines in and out.

Right now in my life I work for a real estate guy and I live in the places that I remodel. This isn't going to change (I don't plan on it anyway) anytime soon so I'll just have to do without for now I guess. (sigh)

mark, sounds like a small electric winch may be in order? .02 tod

Mark Rios
04-15-2006, 3:56 PM
Yeah, that's been suggested a couple of times to me. But moving them around twice a day at least is going to take more time than I care to take.

You should see me when it starts to rain. This past 8 weeks or so have been the rainiest that we've had for years here in central CA. We had 25 days of rain in March. I would roll out and then it would start raining and I would scramble to get stuff covered and back into the trailer. Then, It'll stop for an hour or so and look like it's going to stay dry. So I roll out again and then, a couple of hours later I'm scrambling again. This isn't normal and it certainly isn't going to last but I'd rather do without the tools (for now anyway) than go through the hassle of the winch idea.

However, I may get something like that set up just to have when I need to move. :D

Frank Chaffee
04-15-2006, 5:09 PM
My "shop" is my big trailer which has to house all my tools so the machines need to be mobile. Tools/machines roll out in the morning and back in at night.
Hey Mark,
If you haven’t already, check out J. Baldwin of Whole Earth Catalog fame, and his mobile workshop the “Silver Turd”, an Airstream trailer equipped with tools and hardware which he moved to sites for design and construction projects. Lots of good ideas there that might be useful for what you are doing.
IIRC (tempered by the adage “If you remember the sixties…”), he made some trailers that predated the modern “slideout” function we see on the RV market today.
If my books from 30 years ago weren’t buried under 30 years of books I would look at myself.
Frank

Bart Leetch
04-15-2006, 5:15 PM
Sounds like a Tommy Lift on the back of the trailer would be handy. I think you could hook the hydraulic pump up to an electric motor so all you would need is to plug it in & turn the motor on to run the lift gate. Also what about putting a flip up light weight roof on the side of the trailer or an RV awning that you could roll the tools under. Also make a fold down or up set of tables that you can put the CMS into. This kind of situation take a little imagination but you can over come most of the obstacles.

Also go to your local library & see if you can find The Workshop Book by Landis. This book has several mobile workshops in it that may give you some ideas.If you can't find it there they may be able to order it in for you from anothe library or you can purchase it from Taunton Press.

Frank Pellow
04-15-2006, 6:18 PM
Money factors into pretty much the reason for every tool I don't have. But here is what I can think of.
1. A belt sander. Not a bench top model as I would liek one of those. I mean the hand held kind. I've never seen the need for one as my other sanders work for me. My friends that remodel kitchens, however, swear by theirs.

By back ground is more carpentry than wood working so I don't know enough to know which tools I don't want.
Hey, I dont want a belt sander either. I am going to add it to my list in the first post in this thread.

glenn bradley
05-03-2006, 3:56 PM
I don't have a "REAL" bandsaw. An old 12" Craftsman has made due. My baby-Delta drill press is challenged frequently. CMS is a must but, we all work on different stuff differently, eh?

A note on those wishing for a pinner. I finally broke down when Woodcraft had them at 40% off or something like that. For trim and small piece work; it is the way to go!

Donald Van Slambrook
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I built a 30x40 shop/garage a year ago, so my carpentry skills are pretty much up to snuff. Now I need to whittle down my measuring tolerances to make some good use of my new shop. :)

Have:
Replaced Crapsman 10" contractors saw with PM 2000,
Home made router table with PC router
HF floor drill press
Home built work bench
Dewalt sliding chop saw
Rigid lunchbox planer
the usual assortment of hand power tools, corded and cordless

On the "to get" list so far:
Jointer
Bandsaw
OSS
Drum Sander
Stand for chop saw
better router table w/ lift and big router

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-04-2006, 4:01 AM
My shop is a workbench that's approximately 2 x 4-1/2 feet.

I can't imagine being without a combination square. I'd be lost.

1) Table saw. Don't need one (for the times a power saw is needed, I have a miter saw and a circular saw, as well as a small band saw). I'm trying to get in some more practice with the hand saws. Obviously, I don't have a dado blade either, but hey, isn't that what stair saws are for? I have two of those.

2) Lathe. I've never been able to justify the space.

3) Jointer. Ditto. (I can joint with hand tools)

4) Planer. Ditto. (I can plane with hand tools)

5) Compound miter saw -- haven't needed one, so I just have a plain old non-compound one.

6) Moisture meter -- I need one.

7) Compressor -- I don't use nails (or anything else that requires a compressor) often enough to justify one. I typically use wiping varnish, wiping lacquer, or shellac as finishes, depending.

8) Dust collector. Okay, well, I have three benchtop tools, so why invest in a huge system? I have one of those cyclone paint buckets. The rest goes in a shop vac. I don't use power tools enough to warrant anything bigger.

9) Floor band saw. I'd love one for some big-ass resawing, but don't have one due to space constraints. I currently have a benchtop model due to space constraints.

10) Floor Drill press. If I had to have one single floor-standing power tool, this (or the bandsaw) would be it, though I could certainly make do with a mechanical one. :) I currently have a benchtop model due to space constraints.

11) Router table. For what? Not really things I need to use one for, so I don't have one.

12) Biscuit joiner. For what would I need one?

13) Pocket hole jig. See #12.

14) Dovetail jigs (except for the Veritas one designed for a handsaw). Hand saws make them irrelevant.

15) Sanders other than an ROS. I use a scraper, but sometimes you just need a ROS for the occasional reason.

16) Lie-Nielsen planes. Eventually, I hope to go there. I especially covet the miter plane and the skew block plane, but I'll likely be getting spokeshaves first.

17) Milling machine. A desire in search of a project.

18) Superior grade chisels. I need to know exactly what I want first and I don't yet.

19) Tormek accessories. Eventually, but I'll buy them as I need them.

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 9:08 AM
I do not currently have enough quality hand tools...that will take care of itself over time. I also do not currently have a Euro sliding table saw. I want one, but the cost of our home addition will likely make that a difficult situation financially, especially after just dropping a bundle on a large outdoor play-gym for the girls. Since I'm doing the cabinetry, I was considering building in the cost of the saw to the project, but may or may not be able to pull that off. Ching...ching...!

Frank Pellow
05-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I do not currently have enough quality hand tools...that will take care of itself over time. I also do not currently have a Euro sliding table saw. I want one, but the cost of our home addition will likely make that a difficult situation financially, especially after just dropping a bundle on a large outdoor play-gym for the girls. Since I'm doing the cabinetry, I was considering building in the cost of the saw to the project, but may or may not be able to pull that off. Ching...ching...!
Jim, it certainly appears to me that it should be part of the cost of the project. :)

Frank Pellow
05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Deirdre, thanks for your extensive and well thought out reply. It certainly sounds like you have figured out the right set of tools for the work that you do.

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Jim, it certainly appears to me that it should be part of the cost of the project.
I don't disagree...but until we have cost estimates for the whole project, I can't get too excited about buying a new saw. Even with a recent small raise I copped combined with the bigger one that Dr. SWMBO will soon have, there are limits to how far we can extend ourselves, especially after one of these gets installed!

http://www.rainbowplay.com/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Favorites/1/gr_1.jpg

Frank Pellow
05-04-2006, 11:36 AM
WOW Jim that sure looks like fun. It makes the one that I built at Pellow's Camp look very mundane. Are you going to instal it yourself?

Scott Coffelt
05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I can sum it up in two words plus a bonus word.

SHOP SPACE, MONEY

First is the shop space thing, I'd love to have some larger primary machines: 24" dual drum sander (currently have 16x32 Ryobi), Big edge sander (currently have 6x48), 15" planer (have lunchbox), really nice bench (have a combo storage and outfeed table).

then the money factor creeps in: all the Festools they make, several more LN planes and saws, spokeshaves, etc. These will just have to slowly be acquired.. cause I ain;t made of money yo know and I haven't found that tree it grows on either.

Jim Becker
05-04-2006, 1:45 PM
WOW Jim that sure looks like fun. It makes the one that I built at Pellow's Camp look very mundane. Are you going to instal it yourself?
Yes, a lot of fun. No, they are going to install it...$99 for delivery and setup. And I really don't have the time....it will be hard enough to deal with site prep before it arrives in 3-4 weeks. It's all cedar and redwood...no PT lumber. Very heavy duty and has a lifetime warranty. (Yea, I know...who's lifetime? :) ) Material cost to build something similar would be a lot less, but I have less than zero time for such things. And they take AMEX... :D

BTW, to keep somewhat on topic, like Scott, I'd also like more shop space. Not going to happen, however, outside of the small space gains I get by moving turning stock and some of my lumber storage upstairs.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-04-2006, 3:47 PM
Well, my approach is "embrace constraints." My husband wanted the garage free and clear, so it means I'm a bit space-limited. (This is, btw, fair, as my stuff occupies more of the house than his does.) I'm hoping that with the move to the new place and the bigger garage that I can get about 2x the space without objection.

Philip Glover
05-04-2006, 4:39 PM
It's space that restricts what I have.
I want to build a new new shop on my property, but, because of deed restrictions and conservation land restrictions I can't build what I want.
So, I am now looking to buy industrial space, use what I want and lease out the rest. My wife is okay with it a long as the rent income is positive. My main requirement is that the shop is within ten to fifteen minutes of my house.
The good thing for me is the kids will not be interrupting me when I am working.
My wife, however, will make me take them if she wants peace and quiet :o At least my 10 year old daughter likes to drill holes with the drill press. She wants to be a dentist when she grows up - no kidding.

PCG

Frank Pellow
05-04-2006, 8:00 PM
Well, my approach is "embrace constraints." My husband wanted the garage free and clear, so it means I'm a bit space-limited. (This is, btw, fair, as my stuff occupies more of the house than his does.) I'm hoping that with the move to the new place and the bigger garage that I can get about 2x the space without objection.
So will, two times the space mean two times the tools? :D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-05-2006, 3:11 AM
Don't I wish?

Actually, I wanted to build a plane till so I can keep them in a useful place. The problem with this approach is that HWMBO will be able to figure out when I've made another acquisition.

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 9:07 AM
HWMBO

Hmm...your house seems to work inverted from all the rest of them! You need a promotion to SWMBO!!! :D

Chip Olson
05-05-2006, 1:44 PM
Tools I don't have and don't want...
<ul><li>Lathe. Can't justify the space, and turning doesn't really appeal to me.
<li>Biscuit joiner. I find my pocket-hole jig more than sufficient for tasks where I might otherwise need one.
<li>Radial-arm saw. My very first woodworking projects were done on my father's RAS, but when I discovered table saws I never looked back. (He even offered to give it to me when I was setting up my shop.)
<li>Mortiser. I don't do nearly enough M&T work to justify one, and they take up space (and in a 9'x12' shop, space is a big deal.)
</ul>

Jim Andrew
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
You can never get a big enough shop. Mine is 26 x 50, and it's too small. Been thinking about building a new house so I can get a bigger
shop. Would have to be 40 wide. Surely that would be big enough. Only
trouble is how big would the house have to be? Jim

Mike Hollingsworth
05-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Nothing with batteries
When buying a battery operated tool you're not done paying for it.
Tools with cords ALWAYS work.

mjh

Frank Pellow
05-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Nothing with batteries
When buying a battery operated tool you're not done paying for it.
Tools with cords ALWAYS work.

mjh
Except when you accidently cut the cord (which I did to my jigsaw cord this afternoon :( ).