PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw recommendation - under $300

Don Abele
04-09-2006, 8:38 PM
OK, I recently caught up on the thread about chain saws and oddly enough I am in the market for a new CS. My 18" Craftsman died after only 16 years :p

I read the merits of the Husky and the Stihl and they sound great. I use my CS fairly infrequently (3-4 times a year a couple of hours each time) and usually for light duty applications. I can not justify spending over $300 for it, especially since the "low end" Craftsman lasted so long.

I have looked at the current Craftsman, Poulan, Homelite, and today was at Home Depot and saw their Echo brand. These are the brands that are readily available at places I know (there's also a local Husky dealer - cheapest was $330). They all seem to be about the same quality in general appearance and the price range is from $150-$300 (18 inch bar with 40cc or so engine).

So what say ye, the collective intelligence...

Be well,

Doc

Jerry Olexa
04-09-2006, 8:42 PM
The key word is STIHL !!! IMHO, they are the best. I've had 2 of them and they are v dependable and great quality. Expect to pay more than the BORG brands but well worth the difference. They have several models under $300 and you'll have to buy from a STIHL dealer. As a young guy, I had a Homelight which lasted about 3 seasons of light use..all IMHO

Frank Pellow
04-09-2006, 9:01 PM
I have both a Husquvarna with a 26" blade and a Poulan Pro with a 20" blade. I have had the Husquavarna for about 20 years and it owes me nothing because of all the work that I have done using it. But the Husquavarna is expensive, and it is heavy, and it is somewhat cantankerous. Three years ago, I bought a Poulan Pro 295 and it is a lot easier to use. It can do about 95% of the lumbering that I now want to do and, at about $300 Canadian, it is a lot less expensive than the Husquavarna. My Poulan gets very heavy use a our summer camp for about two months every summer.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-09-2006, 9:24 PM
I bought a Stihl last year and am well satisfied. I don't use it often, 4 times last year, but it starts easily and cuts great. I looked at the units at Lowe's and they just didn't seem to compare favorably. I only got a 14" model and it was $170 set up, fueled and ready to go in a case. FWIW, I don't know about all the others, but Stihl recommends using a mid-grade fuel to prevent overheating the engine.

Jim Becker
04-09-2006, 9:43 PM
Don, even if you have to save an extra month or three, buy a Stihl, Husqui or similar for long-term satisfaction.

Rob Will
04-09-2006, 9:46 PM
I have several chainsaws on a farming operation. I purchased a Stihl 026 pro, now the employees NEVER use the other saws.

Personally, I think some people buy bigger saws than they need. I like to look at how much a saw weighs and how much HP it has. A 2.6 Stihl engine will saw circles around a 3.3 Homelite and weigh about 3 lbs less.

There are a few interesting internet articles on the history of Stihl.

I would buy the best Stihl I could afford without adding weight.

Rob

Ian Abraham
04-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Of the brands you mention, the Echo would be the best option. They make some very nice smaller sized saws. Be aware the Stihl make professional and homeowner saw models. The Pro grade ones are very good (but pricey). The homeowner models are just good (and still pricey) ;) I've got 2 Stihls, 60 and 135cc, both have been very reliable.
I've also just got a big Dolmar saw that I really like, but dealers for them aren't so common. Friend has got a new Oleo-Mac saw thats a good little unit as well. Husky makes some very good units too, but like Stihl they have pro and home models. The ones sold thru chain stores are the home quality ones.
Plenty of options out there, but the cheap saws at the big stores are 'throw away' machines, hopefully they last a few years, then you throw them away and buy another one.
Get something decent and you should get another 16 years use :rolleyes:

Cheers
Ian

Brian King
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a small Echo blower and limb saw and 2 Stihls an 041 and an 025. I also have a Stihl blower and straight shaft trimmer. I have to say I really like both brands and the quality is pretty close. The Echo brand is not as well known but this can save you some bucks. Stihl is good stuff but I think the name adds a little to the price. I love my little Echo limb saw. Best $200 bucks I've spent. Light powerful. For middle size work I use the 025 and for big stuff I use the 041.
Can't go weong with Stihl or Echo.
Look for your best deal on the size saw you want. Look at engine size and weight of saw. Max bar size it will run also. It is always good to have a little extra power. No one ever said
" Man....I my saw has too much dern power "
Good Luck. Brian

Steven Wilson
04-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Does your BORG provide service? Thought not, go with a local dealer who carries Stihl, Jonsrude, Huski, or Echo and services what they sell. Myself, I chose a Stihl 290 Farmboss and have been very satisfied with it.

Allen Bookout
04-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Frank likes his Poulan but I am sure that it is an upper level model. After Hurricane Charlie hit us we were all desperate to get anything to cut trees out of the way so I hurried to Home Depot as I heard that they had gotten in chain saws and purchased a low level Poulan. Almost impossible to start and would not run long enough to cut through anything. Took it back and there was a pile of them laying there that had been returned. So I would say stay away from the Home Depot level Poulans. An employee there said that they were getting back all of the Poulans but had real good luck with McCullocks so I bought one of them and it worked perfectly. I almost never use a chain saw so I am not the one to say which ones are good but I got the McCullock out a year later and it started right up and worked great but bare in mind that it had very little use so was in reality still a new saw but it did impress me how much better it was than the Poulan for about the same money.

Not being a frequent user I cannot recommend any brands but I have heard so much over the years about the Stilh that I think that I would have to do like Steven said and buy a Stilh from a dealer if the cost was not completely out of line and I was not in an emergency situation. Otherwise I would buy the McCullock again, not because the others may not be good buys but because I have had good luck with it for limited work which sounds like the way that you would use one.

Richard Blaine
04-10-2006, 1:27 AM
But the Husquavarna is expensive, and it is heavy, and it is somewhat cantankerous.

The newer Huskies are better. We've used Homelites, Echos, and finally a Husky here on the farm. My brother refuses to use anything but the husky now that we have one, but the Echos were good machines. I wouldn't be afraid to by an Echo for home duty.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-10-2006, 2:21 AM
But the Husquavarna is expensive, and it is heavy, and it is somewhat cantankerous.

Frank, have you rebuilt the carb on your Husky?

My old Husky was like yours, I rebuilt the carb...........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/husky/ball_of_fuzz_location.jpg

and now it starts right up and runs like a champ.

Don, you might want to look around for a good used saw, this could save you some money, if you are careful.

Another brand to look at is "Shindaiwa" (Shin-die-wa) a Japanese brand, they make very good saws, but they are not so popular over there. If you can find a dealer close by that knows what they are doing and they sell the Shindaiwa saw, that might be a good option. We see them everywhere here in Japan, and they have a very good reputaion.

Cheers!

Jason Roehl
04-10-2006, 6:36 AM
I ditto the thumbs-up on the Husqy, I also ditto the thumbs-down on the Pooplan. I could also be talked into a Stihl. Here's where I bought my Husqy (no affiliation, just very satisfied with price and delivery):

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

You'll see that there are quite a few models for under $300. When I bought mine, I went with the one that had the highest power-to-weight ratio (better than the comparable Stihl at the time), the 372xp (replaced by the 575xp) but I also didn't want to buy another chainsaw for many years, and I cut a lot of firewood. But, if you don't have a place locally to get a Husqy serviced, I'd go for a Stihl.

Brad Schafer
04-10-2006, 8:24 AM
Don- my dad/brother/I have several saws between us. Primary uses for all our saws are fence-row clearing, woods/creek bottom cleanup, and orchard work. We all burn wood.

Brother/dad have both 21" Stihls & Husqvarnas, and both prefer the latter (primarily due to chain speed; it's newer than the Stihls). Although brother prefers Husq, he now uses the Stihl after backing his truck over the Husq. (!!!)

I have 2 Stihls - a .038 and .046 (both "Farm Boss"; dunno if that means anything or not) and an Echo CS-3000. Stihls are 21", Echo is 14". If I have big lumber to deal with, I use the Stihl. for ANYTHING else, I use the Echo. In fact, I use the Echo for some bigger logs if I can figure a way to double cut and get thru.

Primary reason for Echo preference is weight - I can clean a felled tree in no time with the Echo and still have enough wind left to burn the brush & split/stack the rest.

Echo, Stihls and Husq have all received similar treatment (apart from the truck incident) - no one unit seems to "wear better" than the others.

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those saws, but I would suggest getting a chain file when you get the saw. 5 minutes of dressing every now and then make everything last longer (including you).

b

04-10-2006, 8:27 AM
I would suggest getting a chain file when you get the saw. 5 minutes of dressing every now and then make everything last longer (including you).

b

Boy ain't that the truth!

get one of the good guides too, when you start out on this, you may need the help of a good guide, sure saved my bacon a few times!

I'd also have a second chain for the saw, sharp and handy, as you never know what you will find in the wood, and it could bust your chain.

Cheers!

John Shuk
04-10-2006, 9:39 AM
I'd say buy the biggest Stihl or Husky you can get within the budget.

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 9:48 AM
I second the recommendations about getting good file and guide for same and using it frequently.

I seem to be the only one here who has good things to say about a Poulan. Mine really has had a lot of use and has stood up well. It would appear that I am very lucky. :)

04-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Frank, I think the biggest thing against the Poulan that I've heard (Over at the Chainsaw forum at the Arborist site) is the dealer network cannot seem to get their stuff together in the US.

Do you have a good shop that supports your Poulan?

I've heard great things about the saws from the guys over in the EU, and now one Canuck! :)

Cheers!

Frank Pellow
04-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Frank, I think the biggest thing against the Poulan that I've heard (Over at the Chainsaw forum at the Arborist site) is the dealer network cannot seem to get their stuff together in the US.

Do you have a good shop that supports your Poulan?

I've heard great things about the saws from the guys over in the EU, and now one Canuck! :)

Cheers!
Yes, the Candiaan Tire store in Hearst Ontario where I boiught the saw does support it. And, they have done one maintenance service on the saw. I usually do this sort of thing myself on my various motors up at Pellow's Camp but every two or three years, I take the item (be it an outboard motor, a generator, a gas pump, a chain saw, etc.) back to the local dealer to have a proffesional service.

By the way thanks for the advice on the Husquavarna carb. I will check it out on my next visit to the island.

Greg Narozniak
04-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Find a Local Dealer and see what they have available used. I picked up a Stihl 026 with a new 18" bar and a new .325 Pro chain from my local dealer for $125 (Stealth Gloat!). I have used it for 2 years without any issues and will not need to upgrade any time soon. I bought 2 more chains and a few files and I am good to go.

I am partial to Stihl although my father has a Husky 359 that really does run strong. It runs a 20" bar with 3/8" chain on it and it does cut well but I feel it does not rev as well as my Stihl. It could be my imagination who knows.

Any of the mentioned brands Stihl, Husky (Jonsered), Echo, Shindiawa (488 is a very good choice), Solo 651, John Deere CS-56 (They are made by a very promenant European saw maker) and even Makita (Made by Dolmar) are excellent saws. The Holmlites and Poulans are not what they used to be in my opinion. I still remember using my fathers Homelite (Back when they were Blue and all Metal casing) saw was HEAVY but it did cut well. Not in the same league as what is sold today.

Local Service is the selling point for me. I know I take my saw in where I bought it and have it serviced without any issues or delays.

David Beverly
04-10-2006, 11:10 AM
The John Deere saws are made by Efco/Emak in Italy. They are very good saws at a good price. I have the JD CS62 and a Husquvarna 55. The JD/Efco is easily made as well as the Husquvarna.

Greg Narozniak
04-10-2006, 2:06 PM
The John Deere saws are made by Efco/Emak in Italy. They are very good saws at a good price. I have the JD CS62 and a Husquvarna 55. The JD/Efco is easily made as well as the Husquvarna.

That's it Dave, Efco is the company I could not remember the name and did not have the time to look it up.

very nice saw for the $$$

Jamie Coffman
04-10-2006, 3:31 PM
Had a Poulan Pro & Homelite from H.D. both take a sabatical in rapid succession after starting to clear my back 40 a few years back.Took both to a local repair center where I was told not to shed a tear for the H-lite just set it adrift on an iceberg, the Poulan was questionable in terms of cost to repair vs. value. At this point I believe I was possesed by aliens because I was not able to recollect later to my wife how I came into possession of the $700 Stihl 460 Magnum chainsaw that I returned home with. Wifee wanted the saw and I to go the route of Jack's magic beans, by throwing both of us out a window, but we managed to escape her malicious grasp. That was about three years and several hundred cords ago and I will atest to several things; you can never have too big of a shed/garage/shop, you can never have too many tools, and having a chainsaw that's twice as big as what would have been adequate will make you smile like an idiot everytime you use it. That said, collect cans and bottles off of the side of the road or get a paper route if must but don't go for adequate. You really can't appreciate the difference between a good commercial saw and a home center wannabe until you get to spend some time together making music. Where I used to procrastinate about cutting up or felling trees on our property because the saws were a pain I now am vigilant to the opportunity to kill a tree. Just the act of turning a chore into something enjoyable has a value beyond mere dollars, even if it's a seemingly obscene amount of said dollars. Go for the Stihl and make it a big 'un, your wife won't mind...trust me.:rolleyes: :D

Allen Bookout
04-10-2006, 5:10 PM
Jamie, You must be a professional writer. Wish that I could express myself like that! Allen

Jerry Olexa
04-10-2006, 5:23 PM
JAMIE!! VERY WELL SAID!!! Exactly my feelings. This is one place to spend the extra dollars!! You'll be repaid w enjoyment everey time you use it. Another STIHL benefit: I used to keep it stored @ my cabin in the woods and forgot to winterize couple times. Each spring, ONE pull and I was happily cutting....Very well written, Jamie!!!

Barry O'Mahony
04-10-2006, 5:54 PM
Don,

What do you use the saw for? That would help determine the right one.

I have two Stihl's, a Farmboss and the smallest one they make (the "lightweight wife's saw"). For some jobs one is the best, for some the pther one is. For dropping Doug Fir in the woods day after day, neither one would do as well as the big guns the pros use.

Jason Roehl
04-10-2006, 6:58 PM
I should mention that I don't care a whole lot about weight. There are a couple reasons for that. One is that, in general, heavier means faster (a good saw will cut quickly under its own weight--you should neither have to push or hold it back). Two, I am still relatively young and fit at 31. I look at cutting wood as just another workout, just like my job as a painting contractor. I think I'm healthier for it.

The Poulan I had was junk from the start. The first one lasted all of 5 minutes before it locked up. I took it back to the blue Borg in exchange, and got a saw that I worked on as much as I worked with, no joke. It was a 20". Now, with the 20" Husqy 372xp I have, I easily can cut the same amount of wood in 2 hours that I would cut in 6 with the Poulan running well the whole time. There's just no comparison. Do I get tired quicker with the Husqy? You bet, but I don't ever have to use it near as long.

With every chainsaw thread, I've noticed that there are NEVER any strong opinions offered... :D

John Bailey
04-10-2006, 8:40 PM
I have a Stihl Farm Boss 29. Can't say enough good thins(or things) about and it's in your price range.

John

Jim Becker
04-10-2006, 9:23 PM
I forgot to mention in my earlier post... the Stihl .029 Farm Boss with an 18" bar is what I bought a few years ago and yes, it's "close" to your price range.

Jamie Coffman
04-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Years ago George Carlin did a bit about stuff... that we spend all of our time trying to get more stuff and then having to keep getting a bigger box to keep our stuff in so that noboby will steal our stuff while we're out getting more suff. This is my life. I spend most of my time either trying to earn to buy more stuff or building a bigger place to keep it. Consequently "winterization" on the Coffman plantation consists of cramming, stuffing or shoving whatever you're trying to store into whatever bowed door shed or garage will still allow you to close it. There it will sit until called upon again, possibly in a week - maybe not for a year, with every expectation that it will perform its designed purpose with the certainty of a brand new tool. Partially due to superior Japanese and German engineering and partly due to God's penchant for overseeing the wellfare of morons and idiots, I seem to have aquired a collection of mechinized yard weaponry that tolerates this sort of abuse with aplumb. For whatever reason, knowing full well that the Honda engineers intended me to check/change the oil, wipe off the extraneous debris and offer the fuel system a swig of Stabil, I still have every expectation that the mower that I put away last fall with a full bag of clippings still hanging from its rear will start on the first pull. Consciously anticipating success, while subconsciously expecting failure, I have been amazed by the fortitude of these small internal combustion wonders when they suddenly bark out of hibernation with narry a chance to cuss. The Kohler engined Troy Built tiller has been pulling this off for almost ten years now. The Honda mower almost six. The Stihl chainsaws three and four years. The exception to the rule has been the zero radius turning Hustler commercial mower that I baby. Always has its fuel been fresh, battery dutifully trickled, joints lubed and blades sharpened. This regemin is supplimented by season opening and mid season trips to the dealer for a check up. All to no avail. Not once has its damnable Briggs & Stratton even considered cooperating. If it's not the starter it's the carb. If not the carb then a demonic belt. Should have got a Honda In closing let me just add that another bounty to be realized in overbuying quality is the beauty of being able to get away with such stupidity. If it will put up with me and mine it will likely last forever in the hands of a responsible adult.;)

Paul Downes
04-11-2006, 12:11 AM
I've used husky's professionally, and they get it done quicker than any other saw's I've used. That being said I have a stihl 029 which I call my 'carry' saw. It's been very dependable and doesn't wear me out when I have to carry it long distances. (I work sometimes clearing log jams in the local streams.) For your application I would look for a stihl. I don't know if they sell Stihl, but I got a great deal on my 385xp Husqvarna from Wise equipment, Shaumburg, il. You can find them on e-bay. They beat any price I could find by $75. The warrenty is valid no matter where you get the saw and my local dealer said he couldn't blame me for taking the deal. Came with 3 chains and free shipping to boot.

Don Abele
04-12-2006, 7:17 PM
OK...I knew that I would get all kinds of responses to this, especially after reading previous CS posts.

Annndddd...I knew that resoundingly you would recommend the Stihl or Husky...I just needed more prodding. Oddly enough, it was when I was discussing it with LOML that she turned the bulb on bright. She said, when you replaced your tabletop tablesaw what did you buy? (Answer: the Jet cabinet saw - a MAJOR upgrade). Soooo...why not do the same with the CS as well...well, OK honey...

So, I did some comparison and got it down to what seems will work for me:

Stihl MS-280, 18 inch bar, 54.7cc, 11.7 pounds
Husky 350, 18 inch bar, 52 cc, 10.6 pounds

There is a significant price difference - $400 for the Stihl, $280 for the Husky (within my original budget). Now several of you gave the thumbs up to the Husky. Is the Stihl that much better to justify that much of a difference?

Also, several have talked about the Stihl 029 - I can't find it anywhere locally - they have the MS-290 which is $499 (BTW, "locally" for my Stihl dealer is 35 minutes away, Husky dealer is 10 minutes).

So...one last go-around before I take the plunge this weekend and pick it up.

Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

Ron Jones near Indy
04-12-2006, 7:23 PM
Given those circumstances, I'd go with the Husky and enjoy looking for another toy--er, tool--with the savings. No doubt in my mind about that.;)

Fred Voorhees
04-12-2006, 7:58 PM
Don, as others have said, it's best to go just a tad further and get a brand that the pros would recommend and that is a Stihl or Husqvarna or any of the other top brands. The quality and dependability is there and worth the extra bucks. I have had a Husky for a few years and use it only once in a while for firewood purposes, but it sure is nice to know that that sucker will come through for me every time I pick it up.

Paul Downes
04-12-2006, 9:14 PM
Don, just wanted to throw you another thought. At my local stihl dealer, the chain for my 029,(older version of the now 290) is of .325 pitch, it is more expensive than the 3/8 pitch chain which is of a BIGGER size. The reason stihl opted for the smaller chain on the 029 had to do with it's power. It's in my opinion, it's a bit under powered.

I would probably go with the Husky as you have been thinking. It uses 3/8 chain and should perform well for your occaisional cutting.

I picked up my 029 at a pawn shop. It was practicly brand new and was a good deal. You might want to look around.

I do agree 100% with some earlier comments that a bigger saw is worth the extra weight because of the higher HP. I get a lot more wood cut with my bigger saw in the same amount of time. If you keep your chain sharp most saws will cut good. I have a chain grinder, but sharpen 90% of the time with a file. After a little practice it is relatively easy to use a file. Remember to file the rakers down after you sharpen the chain a few times. The rakers set the depth of cut in the wood and even if the chain is sharp, if the rakers are too high it won't cut as fast. I use a flat file to lower the raker height. Most of the pro's I know file them down right off the bat. There is a higher kick-back risk by doing this, but if you know what you are doing kick-back shouldn't be a problem.

A few saftey tips; never cut when you are tired. Always keep the thumb of your forward hand wrapped around the handle, I see a lot of guys who get lazy with the thumb and if the saw should kick-back your hand can slip off the handle and you can miss the chain brake. Wear chaps. When ever you have to move with a running saw, snap your wrist forward and set the chain brake. Wear chaps. Always wear saftey glasses. Hearing protection is good. Steel toe boots. Did I mention chaps? I've seen a lot of cuts on knees and on other parts of legs, they aren't pretty. On forestryforum.com there is a saftey section. I would highly recommend some time reading through accident reports. There is also a lot of good advice there on proper felling and cutting techniques. Forestry (logging) is the most dangerous occupation around so it's worth the extra effort to do it right. Most of the fatalities I am familiar with were primarily caused by operater error. I think you will be quite happy with the Husqvarna, good luck.

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Stihl Imho

Steven Wilson
04-13-2006, 1:40 AM
Well, if you're satisfied that the Husky dealer has been and will be around for awhile and will give you good service/advice should the need arise then go with the Husky. I bought a Stihl because I have a number of very good Stihl dealers in my area and very few Husky.

James Mudler
04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I noticed today, HD has the 18" ECHO on clearance for $200 from $289

Jake Helmboldt
04-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't know if you have already pulled the trigger, but the 350/280 comparison is apples to oranges. The 350 is a good saw for your needs from what you describe, but the newer 353 (Husq) is a little more and a more refined saw.

The 280 is one of Stihl's pro series saws (even #s are pro, odd #s are homeowner). But it never seemed to really develop a big following. The 260 would probably be a better bet, or the bigger 361 (an odd departure from their numbering system).

If you truly have a limited use for the saw then the Echo always seems to get the best bang for the buck vote. Not quite as good as Stihl or Husq, but very good and cheaper.

As for where to buy, either buy online or buy from a full-service dealer. Lowe's has limited models, don't provide service, and charge full retail. Stihl only sells through dealers. If you are not worried about service then Dolmar/Makita is a great choice, as are Efco (sold under Cub Cadet and John Deere badges as well as their own). Jonsered are also great and are essentially Husqvarnas, however the lower end Jonsereds/Husqs are actually Poulans as all are owned by Electrolux. Avoid those models like the plague.

Personally I think Stihls are overpriced. Their pro series saws are very good, but very pricey. And Husq/Jonsey have better anti-vibe and filtration. I have a 359 Husq that is great, though for smaller homeowner type jobs I would like to have a smaller, lighter saw like the 353 or the new Dolmar/Makita 5100 which is getting rave reviews.

Jake

Don Abele
04-16-2006, 7:43 PM
Guys, thanks for all the great advice. Let me give you some more info before I tell you what I think I have decided on.

Getting a saw from a full-service local dealer really isn't a high priority. I will only live here for another couple of years. Remember, I'm in the Navy and move every 2-3 years. So having a company that has a bunch of nation-wide service locations is more what I was looking for (and both Stihl and Husky have that).

I want something that has the same size bar but a larger engine as my last one (the Craftsman was an 18 inch, 42cc model). Also, that Craftsman was 14 pounds - I need something lighter. So, the main thing I used to ween my list down was power to weight ratio, within the 18 inch bar range and an engine of at least 50cc's (this completely eliminated all brands except Stihl and Husky).

The Husky 350 was at the top with a 4.91:1 ratio, then the Husky 353 at 4.7:1 (it weighs half a pound more than the 350). The Stihl 280 came in 3rd at 4.68:1 (and was the heaviest at 11.7 pounds). I did also compare the Stihl 270 and 290, but their ratios were low with relatively high price tags that didn't seem to fit.

So, it looks like the Husky 350 gets the nod. The local Lowes is out of stock, but has them on order - they should be in this week. At $280 that also gives it the best price to power ratio above and beyond all of the models I looked at.

As for safety, I already own (and always use) a chain-saw helmet/face-shield/ear protection combo, chaps, and steel toed boots. Thanks for the reminder - I see a lot of people using chain saws without any protection (and I've also seen my fair share of them as emergency-room patients).

Thanks again to all for the great information...I'll post the obligatory "gloat" when I actually get it.

Be well,

Doc

James Suzda
04-17-2006, 1:05 PM
Lets throw another brand into the mix. You should take a look at the Jonsered saws. I'm on my second Stihl and we will always grab my Son's Jonsered when we have some serious cutting to do! (BTW, the crankshaft broke by the clutch on my first Stihl saw.)
Jim