PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a part that fell off my G1023SL

Larry Browning
04-09-2006, 7:20 PM
I was lowering the blade on my Grizzly G1023SL when I heard a clank like a nut or something fell into the bottom of the saw. After taking the motor cover off I found what appears to be some sort of a flange. I could not find anything that resembles this part in the exploded parts diagram, so I am turning to the experts here at SMC. I am afraid to start the saw up until I can identify this part. What do you think this is? Where does it go? Is it important?

Dave Mapes
04-09-2006, 7:28 PM
Larry

Looking at the parts list for your saw that looks like the flange bearing cap (see page 58 Part number 35B)

I agree with you do not run you saw until you resolve what that part is as it looks to a part that needs to be inplace or something will come apart.

Dave

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 7:54 PM
Crawled all over mine. Looked at parts book. Mines older, so different #'s
Looks to be arbor shaft flange, on far side away from you standing at the front. If it is this flange, you need to be looking for a nut also.
Nut holds it onto the shaft.
Arbor shaft that runs your blade up and down

Larry Crim
04-09-2006, 8:00 PM
Larry, dave is correct it is the cap at the far end of the arbor away from the blade, That cap covers the bearings at the gear bearing housing and is held in with 3 screws, look for the screws before you turn on the dust collection. It is not shown in my parts manual that came with the saw, Mine is also a left tilt but that should not make a difference.
Pat

Larry Browning
04-09-2006, 8:05 PM
Larry

Looking at the parts list for your saw that looks like the flange bearing cap (see page 58 Part number 35B)

I agree with you do not run you saw until you resolve what that part is as it looks to a part that needs to be inplace or something will come apart.

Dave
Dave,
My book only has 46 pages. the exploded parts diagram is on pages 39-41 and the parts list is on 42-43. Mine shows part 35 as a gear bearing housing, and there is not part 35B. My book says revised January 2002. I think I may visit the Grizzly web site and look at the latest manual.

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 8:05 PM
Looks like they made a change on Larrys saw. Mine has a nut holding flange on. So yes, He should be looking for screws instead of a nut.
Wonder why the change?

Larry Browning
04-09-2006, 9:09 PM
Ok, I have figured it out. I found where it goes, but the 3 screws holding it in place are long gone into the DC bin. The parts list on their web site says I need 3 10-24 3/8" long. I'm thinking a trip to the hardware store would be quicker and much less stressful than sifting thru the DC dust bin.
Thanks everyone, I will now be able to sleep tonight.

Ken Deckelman
04-09-2006, 9:31 PM
You may want to put a little Locktite (Blue 242) on those screws when you re-assemble it.

Just a thought...:)

Larry Browning
04-09-2006, 9:53 PM
You may want to put a little Locktite (Blue 242) on those screws when you re-assemble it.

I had already planned on it!

Bruce Page
04-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Ok, I have figured it out. I found where it goes, but the 3 screws holding it in place are long gone into the DC bin. The parts list on their web site says I need 3 10-24 3/8" long. I'm thinking a trip to the hardware store would be quicker and much less stressful than sifting thru the DC dust bin.
Thanks everyone, I will now be able to sleep tonight.
Larry, make sure to get decent quality screws. Lowes carries grade 5 and maybe grade 8. I wouldn't want less than grade 5.