PDA

View Full Version : Ever google your own name?

Mike Schwing
08-20-2003, 12:35 PM
go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com), and enter your own name as the search phrase. Encase your name in quotes. There aren't many Mike Schwings in the world, so just about every one that comes up from searching my own name, actually IS me. Thats scary enough in itself.

Most interesting thing I found is that I'm a bicycle dealer, and I didn't even know it! There is a manufacturer that lists me, with my correct address, as being a dealer. Why, how, what in the world for I have no idea, but I can assure you my address won't remain there for long! I've never done business with these guys, but there I am!

Roger Fitzsimonds
08-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Well I just tried it.

The only hit on me was one from Sawmill Creek, interestingly enough. Then the other 3 pages of hits were on some very rich banker in Wisconsin that I never heard of. I will have to check the family tree and see who he is. My last name is fairly unique I always check the phone book when I travel and have not found anyone new. Most of my family is in Canada.

Very interesting.

Roger

Don Farr
08-20-2003, 2:27 PM
Wow! There are a lot of me's out there. If I do Donald, I'm a pretty impressive guy. Don owns a moving company.
Strange that it don't show the company that I actually do own.

Steve Clardy
08-20-2003, 2:39 PM
put your Phone # in there and see what happens!!! Surprise!!

Mike Schwing
08-20-2003, 3:14 PM
put your Phone # in there and see what happens!!! Surprise!!

Whew! Gladly - NOTHING! Can't find me, I'm unlisted!

Don Farr
08-20-2003, 4:26 PM
But some times the internet just blows me away at the resources that are available.
Some of you I'm sure have tried this but I just found it today.
www.classmates.com
I found names of people I went to school with 50 years ago.
To cool. :cool: :cool:

Brad Schafer
08-20-2003, 5:29 PM
for something even more ominious, google your phone number (xxx-yyy-zzzz) ... unless you're unlisted/unpublished, there's a good chance that it'll put up your address, and a hotspot to gen a map/driving directions to your place. :mad:

ain't no such thing as privacy,

b

Gary Hern
08-20-2003, 6:36 PM
I tried the search. For those of you that don't know me well, I'm a Jr.

I found this article and it really brought back some old fond memories!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/stories/article/0,13285,386223,00.html

Thanks guys! I didn't even know this was out there any more.

Jim Becker
08-20-2003, 9:39 PM
I love it when someone usese "Google" as a verb... :D

Brad Schafer
08-20-2003, 10:38 PM
I love it when someone usese "Google" as a verb... :D

yup - i bastardize the language right along with the best of 'em. oops, pardon me. i have some synergies to leverage ...

;)

Martin Shupe
08-20-2003, 11:03 PM

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/stories/article/0,13285,386223,00.html

Gary, if someone were to offer me 83K for my dog (if I had one), I would take it. You can buy a new dog for a lot less than $83,000! (and lots of tools, too...)

I would have a dog, but my son has asthma. :(

Gary Hern
08-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Gary, if someone were to offer me 83K for my dog (if I had one), I would take it. You can buy a new dog for a lot less than $83,000! (and lots of tools, too...)

I would have a dog, but my son has asthma. :(

Yea, I can understand that, but in reality, stud fees took the place of a lump sum. That dog was really something. I hunted him the year prior to winning the World Championship almost nightly because my dad got put on night shift and couldn't do it himself. He was the most pleasant coon dog I've ever seen and never saw another that could compare to him in his mannerism. When he barked in the woods, you knew he was on a coon. That dog never ran trash a single time that I knew about. Someone actually asked dad if he would take $100K for him as he walked off the auctioneer's stand and he said no. That dog spoiled me so bad I haven't been in the woods coon hunting since we stopped hunting him.

By the way, the picture at the top right is of my dad and one of Dick's pups, I believe, at the mouth of the cave.

chris toomey
08-21-2003, 9:04 AM

great story gary!