PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Opinions

Greg Tatum
04-09-2006, 2:16 PM
I am looking to purchase a new one and would like to know which one is the quietest available....it will be used in a hobbiest shop. I would like to use it for spray finishes, brad nailer, air sander, impact ratchet and basketball blower-upper....price range is under $300.00 and smaller would be better....I am limited on space in my 2 car garage/shop.

TIA

Chris Barton
04-09-2006, 2:24 PM
Hi Greg,

I have a 25+ year old Sears (really Campbell Haufstead) that has served me well over the years. Quite is a relatived term when it comes to compressors. Mine is a 2 cyl, with a 20 gal tank and is on wheels with a handle and has done everything from spray house paint (and every other finish you can think of), run impact drivers, air sanders, die grinders, etc without any problems.

Brian King
04-09-2006, 2:50 PM
Hello,
Do a search on Eaton Compressor and you'll see they have 2 nice portable units. One is $139. and one is $169. Very nice for the money. Cast iron cylinder and crankcase has oil in it. Plus a 2 year warranty. For comparison the Craftsman 9-16746 lists at $500+ and you can get it on sale for about $350. It has a 1 year warranty and it oil free.
I don't think you'll find a quality fullsize unit for under $300. So a quality portable might be your best choice. Stay away from the oiless units.
I am not affiliated with Eaton. But I do plan to get a compressor from them this year so I've been researching and they look like the best for the money.
My .02
Brian

Doug Shepard
04-09-2006, 2:56 PM
I know they've gotten better and quieter since I bought an oil-less Craftsman about 5 yrs ago and I'm sure there are better oil-less ones than Craftsman too. But after half a day I boxed it up and took it back to get an oil type compressor. There was just no way I could put up with the noise. It was the loadest tool by far in my shop. Even the jointer and planer were quieter. For home shop use I shy away from the oil-less models whatever brand you end up with.

Ken Deckelman
04-09-2006, 2:58 PM
I would like to use it for spray finishes, brad nailer, air sander, impact ratchet and basketball blower-upper....price range is under $300.00 and smaller would be better....I am limited on space in my 2 car garage/shop.

TIA

Using a spray gun (HVLP or Regular) and air sanders use LOTS of air, You need to check CFM ratings on the tools you plan to operate versus the compressor you buy.

IMHO, you will need a 80 gallon, 5HP minimum compressor to operate these tools, and you can't get that for $300.00 and not take up alot of room.

Barry O'Mahony
04-09-2006, 3:14 PM
I agree with Ken, I think you have some contradictory requirements here: under $300, small, quiet, and it has to run air sanders! i don't think you are going to find anything that fits all of those.

Rob Blaustein
04-09-2006, 3:51 PM
I have this one and love it:
Thomas Compressors T-30HP 1-1/4 HP 4.5 Gallon Pancake Tank Compressor

My wife bought it a few years ago after reading lots of reviews. Amazon has it--here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TRCO/qid=1144610952/sr=1-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-2055181-3460021?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013) is the page. I agree with all the reviews--it is VERY quiet. It is also oil-less. With the $25 off coupon it will come at under $300. I've only used it to run various nail guns and to blow air to clean surfaces, so can't speak for some of the other functions. I have only one minor complaint which may not affect you if you plan to keep it in the shop and not move it--it's pretty heavy (probably close to 50 lbs--shipping wt is listed at 60).

Ian Barley
04-09-2006, 4:35 PM
I agree with others "small", "quiet", "$300" and "air sander" don't belong together in any paragraph. The only way that you will get a compact, quite compressor that is pushing anything like the volume needed for the average sander is to go to something like a hydrovane unit. They are designed for places like dentists and graphic designers, often run without any tank but can, properly powered, generate the amount of air that you want. Problem is you probably need to add a 0 to the amount.

Allen Bookout
04-09-2006, 6:27 PM
Add me to the list that agree that you will need a much larger compressor to do all of the thinks that you list. You can power your nailers and blow up basketballs with the smaller ones but forget the rest on the list. Like others have said, check the cfm required to run each tool and then buy a compressor with more output than that required. I have kicked myself for years for buying too small and I finally just buckeled down and bought one that I felt was adequate for what you are planning on using it for. Ken hit it right on the head as far as I am concerned---5hp (running hp, not starting hp) and an 80 gallon tank. Watch out for CH and Home Depot as they list starting hp which is REAL deceptive advertising so I stayed away from them for sure (crooks as far as I am concerned).

After much research I decided on an Ingersoll Rand 5hp 80 gal single stage unit. It is only single stage but gives plenty of air volume and a psi of 135. It is rated for continous duty if you use synthetic oil, is very quite (for an air compressor) and runs very smoothly. One thing that helps is that I mounted it on pads and bolted it to a concrete floor. You will need a 60 amp 220 volt #10 wire hook up. It does not take up much space as it is vertical. One thing to be aware of is that these types of units need to be 12 inches from any wall so that could be a restriction for you. I had to replan where to install it.

Of course if funds are no problem you could get an IR two stage unit but would have to add another $500 or so to the price.

If you have a Tractor Supply available they had the best price that I could find and could pick it up right away. Northern Tool also handles the same brand but from what I found I could only get the 60 gal tank, it cost as much as the 80, and I had to wait for a month or so for it to be delivered. Here is the TSC link to the unit.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1010&sonID=469&productID=9181

I know that this seems like a big jump from what you were planning but if you can swing it you will NEVER be sorry.

Good Luck! Allen

Brian King
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hello again,
Rob, why would you recommend a 1.25hp 2.7cfm @100psi oilless compressor with another $29.00 bucks to get a warranty on the pump over a 4.5hp 5.5cfm @90psi with oil and two year warranty for half the money? I must be missing something here.
I agree with all the posts about running anything that requires alot of air. These little compressors will not handle it. You could run all you have listed except the air sander. Stay away from oilless.
Get an electric sander with the money you save.
Brian

Kent Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
You will need a 60 amp 220 volt #10 wire hook up.
Correction on the electrical: 10 ga wire requires a 30A maximum breaker.

Allen Bookout
04-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Correction on the electrical: 10 ga wire requires a 30A maximum breaker.
Kent, I agree. However Ingersoll Rand said that the 60amp recommended breaker was for the momentary overload start. Even though 30 amps would run it (22.7 amps) the starting load would trip a 30 amp breaker every time. It might be wise to run heavier wire but the current set up is working as recommended. I will have to check the legality as it would not be much of a problem to pull out the 10 ga and replace it. I do not know if code permits a hard wired motor to be wired with an oversize breaker for starting amperage.

Greg, I have been thinking. You could go with the 3hp and 60 gallon tank and save a couple of hundred bucks and be close to what you want to do. Check the spray guns that you are going to use as some of them take a lot of air also, especially the HVLP pressure feed guns. You are looking at around 12 cfm at 50 psi.

Allen

lou sansone
04-10-2006, 6:08 AM
I agree with others "small", "quiet", "$300" and "air sander" don't belong together in any paragraph. The only way that you will get a compact, quite compressor that is pushing anything like the volume needed for the average sander is to go to something like a hydrovane unit. They are designed for places like dentists and graphic designers, often run without any tank but can, properly powered, generate the amount of air that you want. Problem is you probably need to add a 0 to the amount.

I agree with Ian, but I will add that another option in the US is IR's new line of small rotary screw compressors that start in the 5 hp range. they are very quiet. you can hold a conversation when they are running. I have one in my shop at work and love it. they start at 3.5k
lou

Curt Harms
04-10-2006, 7:23 AM
I have a P-C HVLP gun and it doesn't require a 5 h.p.(real) compressor to operate. The air sanders probably do-so buy an electric ROS. I have a C-H oilless rated at 5.5/90psi 8.6/40 and it works fine for hobby use. I have a Sears portable rated at around 3.8/90psi ??/40 psi, wouldn't use this compressor for any significant spraying but wanted to see. I plugged the P-C gun into it, set the regulator at around 25 psi, squeezed the trigger and held it. The compressor ran continuously but was able to hold the tank pressure around 70-80 psi. Conversion HVLP spray guns don't seem to be the air hogs that they're accused of being. The same is not true of air sanders from what I've heard.

Curt

Russ Filtz
04-10-2006, 7:24 AM
How about the IR Garagemate? About $550 and semi-portable. I think it's 60-gal, vertical, but probably doesn't have enough air for the sander. Could be wrong though. Check Amazon or Northern Tool.

Curt Harms
04-10-2006, 7:29 AM
I have a P-C HVLP gun and it doesn't require a 5 h.p.(real) compressor to operate. The air sanders probably do-so buy an electric ROS. I have a C-H oilless rated at 5.5/90psi 8.6/40 and it works fine for hobby use. I have a Sears portable rated at around 3.8/90psi ??/40 psi, wouldn't use this compressor for any significant spraying but wanted to see. I plugged the P-C gun into it, set the regulator at around 25 psi, squeezed the trigger and held it. The compressor ran continuously but was able to hold the tank pressure around 70-80 psi. Conversion spray guns don't seem to be the air hogs that they're accused of being. The same is not true of air sanders from what I've heard.

Curt

tod evans
04-10-2006, 7:33 AM
greg, ian,allen and lou are on target. if you plan on doing any air sanding at all you`ll need to up the ante. figure that any 5"r/o sander is drawing as much air as an open 1/4" line, if you drop the sanding requirement and stick to an hvlp and nail guns your delivery problems will be far less. but remember with compressed air you have moisture issues that must be delt with also.....02 tod

Brian Parker
04-10-2006, 8:44 AM
Greg,

I did a lot of reading on compressors that were somewhat portable and yet packed some mustard while leaving me with some green in my pocket still. I opted for an oil-less compressor made by Ridgid (Model OF45150). It has a lot of features including a 4.5 gal capacity (two tanks), two couplers, built in regulator, roll cage (useful for when on the roof & general protection in a garage). Off the top of my head I believe that it puts out a nice 6.2 SCFM @90psi and 7.4 SCFM @40psi. Also it has a 3yr warranty :)

It says that you can run two roofing or two framing guns at once on it so there is power there. I have used it for painting (both quart and touch up guns) and I don’t have to wait for it to recharge. Sure it runs while I spray but it never gets to the point where I need more psi than it is able to put out. I also have my CP impact wrench that I use on this. I can not attest to the claims of running two big guns at once but I can state that I have done both roofing and decking with my guns and this compressor and its always had plenty of air for me when I needed it. I also have ran my narrow crown stapler and brad nailer off of this compressor.

You said that you are looking for an air sander compressor and I’m with Tod on this one….get out your pocket book and get a 30 gallon or more tank as those puppies suck air pretty darn fast. I’d stick with an electric sander and get a compressor like my Ridgid or one in its class.

I believe that I paid ~$233 at HD (BORG), its $259 normally but I had a 10% off coupon.

/All of use use airguns with our compressors don’t buy the ones at the HD/Lowes (BORG) they are junk. Go to an autoparts store and get a good one, it will be a little more money but it will last. My uncle is on his 4th or 5th BORG air gun and I have my Milton air gun still going strong.

//If you are spraying or using air tools much get one of those moisture traps. The small ones are ~$14 at the Borg, get a brass male adaptor with the male threads and a universal coupler with male threads. This will catch the water in the air and save your air tools. If you want a pic let me know and I’ll post one for ya.

///Also get rubber hoses those PVC and nylon hoses are junk and seem to want to keep their form and don’t like to lay where you put them at. I got a good 50’ rubber hose for $20. If you are planning on small runs get an additional 25’ hose. I got two 50’ and one 25’ hoses. I keep one 50’ hose on an old garden hose holder/bracket beside the compressor at all times and use it for in the shop. Sometimes I hook up the 25’ one for when I need to use the air gun in the shop. I use my second 50’ run when I do roofing and larger projects so that I don’t have to move the air compressor while I’m working.

Here are a few reviews on the compressor that I mentioned. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

New Woodworker Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgid4.5comprvu.html)

Western Roofing (http://www.westernroofing.net/tool_review/11_04/tool_review_rigid_11_04.htm) (They actually rolled it across a roof)

I dont know the name they just review tools (http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidOF45150_Compressor/Ridgid_OF45150_CompressorReview.html)

HTH
Brian

Greg Narozniak
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
How about the IR Garagemate? About $550 and semi-portable. I think it's 60-gal, vertical, but probably doesn't have enough air for the sander. Could be wrong though. Check Amazon or Northern Tool.

Excellent compressor, you will not be disappointed in the Garage Mate. Another brand to look at, if longevity is your goal would be SpeedAire.

I picked up a CH 2hp 26 gallon and it runs my air gun and air tools ok enough to get by. A Large 80 gallon would be nice but it is not in my budget.

Alex Berkovsky
04-10-2006, 11:13 AM
...Off the top of my head I believe that it puts out a nice 6.2 SCFM @90psiBrian,
Even though the sticker on the unit does say that it puts out 6.2 scfm @90psi, their web site (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OIL-FREE-AIR-COMPRESSOR/index.htm) states that it produces 4.9 SCFM @ 90PSI.

Brian Parker
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Alex,

Humm I see what you say now after visiting Ridgid’s website. I called the 800# and talked to a tech about this issue. He stated that the compressor has not changed at all rather they have begun to accept the International SCFM Standards rating. It’s about 75% of what the advertised SCFM rating. Thus the advertised 6.2 SCFM is 4.9 SCFM under the international measuring system. I did find out that Cambell Hausfell is the manufacturer of the Ridgid compressor, and if you want to ask more questions about the ‘new’ standard you can call Jesse Moore at 877-851-2300, I was told it’s a direct line to him.

I asked the tech on the phone if there was any documentation on the web concerning the change and he said not that he was aware of. This whole ‘switch over’ seems a bit confusing. The tech was not aware of air tool manufacturers changing their required SCFM ratings as of yet.

Being that said I will still stand by my compressor. I'm not sure why they had to go and change...its like the metric system vs standard units each thinks that theirs is the best way.

Allen Bookout
04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
If you really want to know what you are getting purchase a unit from a honest company that has a good reputation. This is especially true regarding air compressors as I have found out.

Brian Parker
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Allen,

I dont mean to read your post the wrong way but would ask for some clarification. Are you stating that Ridgid is a dishonest company and has a bad reputation or are you just stating that in general one should buy from a good company with a proven track record of being there. My opinion is that Ridgid is honest and reputatble. Sure they haven't been around pneumatics as long as plumbing but I think they are a good company.

Alex Berkovsky
04-10-2006, 12:38 PM
... I called the 800# and talked to a tech about this issue. He stated that the compressor has not changed at all rather they have begun to accept the International SCFM Standards rating.Briam,
Thanks for the leg work.

Allen Bookout
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Brian,

I think that Ridgid is a fine company and has some very good products but I think that they could have made a better choice in who manufactures their air compressors. I had a CH compressor that was involved in the class action lawsuit a few years ago and it appears to me that they have not changed their ways very much--just enough to stay within the law. Now I am reading what you have to say about the cfm rating and wondering what is going on with that. I cannot see them downgrading a current unit of their own free will. If they have, good for them.

Some manufactures list running hp and not starting hp which gives me confidence. Some even test the units to get the actual cfm output at certain pressures and not calculated outputs which is even better. Some people may not care but I prefer to purchase from these types of companies. To me, advertising the "real" performance is honesty.

Allen

Brian Parker
04-10-2006, 1:23 PM
Greg,

Allen pointed out something that I forgot to mention (thanks Allen). Pay attention to that HP rating it can be decieving! Some people as Allen stated only list one HP rather than peak (Initial startup HP) and running HP.

Do some homework on what features you wish to have, size, tank type, dual connectors, HP etc and see which one best fits what you want. Sometimes its tough to get the answers on the web and you have to call the manufacturer directly and ask some specific questions, alot of time they will let you talk to someone in their engineering dept.

Allen,
I see the Ridgid compressor as the Dewalt/Black n Decker relationship. The one is basically a rebranded item with more 'toughness' and features. Its tough to find a great manufacturer who delievers a solid product at an affordable price nowadays.

/I hear that HD is clearing out alot of their Ridigid sanders and such and plan to replace them with the cheaper models made in China. Its a shame that they just go by price and not also by quality.

Greg Tatum
04-10-2006, 3:04 PM
WOW!! what great info from all y'all....I must now re-think my needs....the air sander is one I have had for 4-5 years and never used...bought for cheap from a yard sale...it's a Dynabrade....spossed to be a good one so even tho I can't run it, I've kept it 'cause it was such a good deal....I did have a IR that my exwife's dad gave me (5hp/20gal) but lost it in the split...now that I think of it, even that didn't work too well;) ....I am open to selling the sander since I do own a ROS....I could apply the cash to a bit more compressor....

Lou, thanks for the tip on the IR rotory screw compressor...looks good...by the way, do you wanna buy a nice air sander for say...3K? I can swing the .5 I think:D ;)

The GarageMate looks promising and Northern has free shipping on it...thanks Russ

Thanks for the info on the Ridgid, Brian... I avoid HD, Lowes and Sears if possible tho....I like a local store called McLendon's...Earn it here, spend it here.

Allen, I don't have the room to add a 60A to my box...I'm doing a home remodel that might require a subpanel so I'll ask the electrician about adding to that....could free up a slot in the main?

Here is a pic of my small, noisy but free compressor and the sander that I guess I'll no longer need:o who woulda thought that such a small tool would require such a large compre$$or:eek:

Tanks again for all the terrific info....maybe I'll post a gloat in the days to come.