PDA

View Full Version : First try at square bowl OUCH!!!

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 1:07 PM
Here's my first attempt at a square bowl. I thought a natural edge would be cool.
The new Pinnacle bowl scraper worked great.
I got nailed a couple of times on the knuckles trying to sand.
OOPS! when I looked close at it, there was a split with daylight showing through, next to a knot. Too bad, it had kinda nice grain.
I guess I'll just leave it on the bench to put stuff in.
As soon as my knuckles stop hurting, I think I'll try another.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 1:10 PM
I sure wouldn't leave that on the bench! Nice first square bowl Jim.....Excellent!

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 1:24 PM
I got nailed a couple of times on the knuckles trying to sand.
As soon as my knuckles stop hurting, I think I'll try another.:rolleyes:

Jim, sorry you got rapped on the knuckles but that is why I call square bowls whirling blocks of finger smashing death.....:p :eek: :D

Nice job!

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 1:40 PM
Nice job Jim, but man those things just scare the death out of me!!!

Corey

Jim Becker
04-09-2006, 2:15 PM
Jim...for objects like this, most of your sanding needs to be done off the lathe. It's quite dangerous to sand while it's spinning...

Nice job on the piece!

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 2:24 PM
Jim, nice job on the bowl.

If it were me, I'd squirt the crack with CA glue and let it dry. Then put some coffee grounds in it and more CA glue to fill the crack, and sand when dry. The coffee grounds will look like part of the knot.

Ernie

Chris Barton
04-09-2006, 2:26 PM
They are fun and you did a great job on your first attempt. Kind of like turning a propeller, always scary.

Lee DeRaud
04-09-2006, 3:06 PM
Here's my first attempt at a square bowl. I thought a natural edge would be cool."Natural-edge square bowl"...huh?!? what the heck kind of mutant trees you got growing down there?:eek:
Must be the kind they cut railroad ties out of...:D :cool:

Bowl is really cool, but I wish you'd posted a pic of the blank.:p

Bob Noles
04-09-2006, 3:52 PM
Jim,

I think you did a great job and with a CA fix that will make a very usable bowl. I find it very unique as you don't see many of these posted.

Great job and thanks for sharing. Hope those knuckles find fast relief :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 4:38 PM
You did a great job Jim. I want to try one of those but I think I will sand it off the lathe. Nice work Jim.

Bill Grumbine
04-09-2006, 6:20 PM
Jim...for objects like this, most of your sanding needs to be done off the lathe. It's quite dangerous to sand while it's spinning...

Nice job on the piece!

Hi Jim

What Jim (Becker) said. These things are not all that hard to turn, but sanding needs to be off the lathe, at least for the wing part. I use my drill named Sioux, a Grex random orbit air sander, and two Festool RO sanders. I even (gasp!) :eek: have been known to do some sanding entirely by hand. I have also used rasps, rifflers, and other tools often found in the arsenals of our knuckle dragging brethern over on the Neanderthal forum.

You can sand the continuous parts on the lathe, and I often do that, but I get greedy, and have been known to bang my knuckles. In fact, I banged them very recently while standing in front of a camera, but I will say no more about that since it is against the rules, and I also have a detractor here who will come after me for the slightest intimation that I might be promoting myself. ;)

Bill

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-09-2006, 9:19 PM
Hey Jim; Cracks are one of the things that make a piece ART! Fill it with something contrasting or something complimentry and it will be great!

Bruce

Charles McKinley
04-09-2006, 9:26 PM
Great piece Jim,

As the others have said fill the crack and no one will know. I really like the look of the knot and the natural edge.