PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Walnut

Travis Shipman
04-09-2006, 11:52 AM
First of all, thank you all for what you are doing. Being a veteran, I fully understand the value of something such as this. I have a small amount of small scrap walnut lumber that I'm willing to donate to the Freedom Pens project. What is the minimum and maximum dimensions that can be used? The majority of it is 3/4" thick.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-09-2006, 1:17 PM
Normally the dimentions are 3/4 X 3/4 x 6". This allows for a variety of styles. For slimline pens, the lenght can be 5 -1/2".

Bruce

Travis Shipman
04-09-2006, 4:23 PM
Most of the walnut I have is 3/4 thick with widths varying from 3/4 to 1-1/8. I can cut them down to 3/4's but don't have the time right now. I will cut them to 6" lengths and ship them for free if anybody is interested in them for Freedom Pens.

Chris Cannon
04-10-2006, 4:51 PM
Travis,

I am to receive 20 kits from Jackie and would be happy to use your walnut to make the pens. I'll send you an email with my address and will include your name and information with the completed pens when they get shipped.

Jackie Outten
04-10-2006, 5:20 PM
Travis,

Thank for your kind donation.

Jackie Outten

Travis Shipman
04-10-2006, 7:43 PM
No Jackie,

Thank you for your excellent forum and this wonderful thing you all at SawMill Creek have been doing for our deployed troops. It truly means a lot. I will do whatever I can. Keep up the great work!

Chris Cannon
04-14-2006, 5:25 PM
Travis, the walnut got here today and it looks good. Thank you!

I am anxious to get started and will send you some pictures when they are completed.

Chris

Chris Cannon
05-07-2006, 6:04 PM
Here are some of the pens made with the walnut from Travis. The lighter segments are beech.

Travis Shipman
05-13-2006, 6:47 PM
Those pens look great, Chris. Thanks for posting them on this forum; I know the wood I sent is going to a great cause.

Chris Cannon
07-06-2006, 5:59 PM
Travis, I sent off the Freedom Pens yesterday, they should get to Jackie today or tomorrow. I used your walnut on 14 pens and included your email with each one of them.

Thank you for making the work possible with your donation of the walnut wood. (The pens were all similar to the ones I posted a while back - I wasn't able to borrow another digital camera.) I think we made a good team.

Chris