PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Jason Boushard
04-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi guys I am a newbie. I am a member of the tidewater turners but I am only doing pens at the moment. I would like to learn how to make bowls and other things but I dont have a chuck for my lathe yet. I have been going thru the posts and you all do very nice work. I hope I can step up and do the same. I have been turning for about 5 weeks now. Here is my latest pen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/hazegry/wood%20working/100_4676.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Jason. Welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here. We like pictures so post'em as you turn'em. That is a great looking pen Jason. What kinds of wood did you use? What kind of finish? Great work and keep it up. Looks like you are of to a great start.

Cecil Arnold
04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the creek Jason. Nice pen.

Jason Boushard
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
its african blackwood with a bloodwood centerband the finish is ca

Don Baer
04-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice pen Jason. If you want to do face turning all you need is a faceplate. A chuck is handier but not necessary.

George Conklin
04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Jason. Welcome to the Vortex. There are a lot of great pen turners here. You'll fit iin perfectly:) .

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow, that is a great looking pen. Nice work on the centerband! I love A Blackwood and it looks like you got the CA finish down! Welcome to SMC Jason and your in good company, we got lots of newbies here and lots of seasoned turners to help us out!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Very nice pen Jason.

I agree with don on the faceplate. I didn't have a chuck on my first bowls and use a faceplate and a glue block. It works fine.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Welcome Jason, Nice pen, can't wait to see what you do with a box or bowl...or for that matter a BONKER! Just keep reading, these guys have an answer for almost everything.

Jason Boushard
04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
what the heck is a bonker?

Jim Dunn
04-09-2006, 9:23 PM
Welcome Jason. You'll have a great time here. Hope your marrriage is stable:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 10:36 PM
what the heck is a bonker?

It's the formal pass time of all Creekers. Do a search and view the pictures easier to show than tell. That's ok, I didn't know at first either. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32748&highlight=bonker

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Jason.........Welcome to the Creek! Neat place and this turners forum is home for a bunch of hooligans! A bonker.....well that's a long story..but last fall I was a flatlander teasing the turners.....They bombed me....They sent me a lathe...a Jet Mini VS......The first thing I turned looked like a baseball bat that had been washed once too often and shrunk. Here in the N/W and other places a short bat is often used to thump large fish to keep them from injuring someone in a boat. So I turned a "bonker". If you look at Andy Hoyt's avatar you'll see him sporting the one and only Official Idaho Bonker. Andy started the process of surpising me with a lathe, so I thought it appropriate that he should have it for a keep sake......That's a bonker....these idiots then had a bonker contest to see who could make the best bonker....they're tough to make:rolleyes: ....a bunch of fathers here had their children turn for the first time ....a bonker.....we, the contestants voted the kids as the winners.....If you notice the recent contests have kind of followed the learning process that most turners go through from easy to progressively harder projects...currently we have a goblet contest going....who wins?....we all do....the newbies like me gain new skills .....the experienced people get to show off their talents and we all get to tease and laugh...and learn.....

Again....Welcome to the Creek!

John Hart
04-10-2006, 7:30 AM
Welcome Jason!!!! Show us your Bonker!!!!!:D

Paul Douglass
04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Welcome Jason. This is a great place to hang out even for one like me that don't get to turn much. One of these days I will and I am learning a lot hanging here.

Edited to ask: What kind of lathe you using?

Jason Boushard
04-10-2006, 9:34 PM
I started my first bowl using my faceplate hope to have it done in the next few days.

Barry Stratton
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the creek! This is a great bunch, they haven't acted tired from all my questions (yet) Very nice pen also.....

Jason Boushard
04-11-2006, 10:55 PM
somebody asked what kind of lathe I have a Rikon mini lathe. I liked it so much I went out and got a Rikon drill press. :)