PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Ring Box w/ cabochon...

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Another ring box I turned and documented. This little box is made from cherry and has a madrone burl cabochon inlet into the lid. The burl turned out to not be too burly and is plainer than I hoped for. But the turning it took to get it flush ended up turning away the best figure. Oh well....:o

This box is 4 1/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" tall. Critiques appreciated....

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
I really like it. The contrast on the madrone burl cabochon set into the lid really sets it off.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Mike that is a great ring box. Very pleasing to the eye with the contrast in woods. Finish looks awesome. I am wanting to learn how to do lids like that with different woods. Also wood like to learn how to do inlay. Great work Mike.

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Another beauitful little box Mike. That Madrone looks great with the cherry. Mike, you writing a book?

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Silky smooth finish Mike and another beautiful form.

Ernie

Bob Noles
04-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Excellent little box Big Mike..... just excellent! You better be glad you don't live close by me or I would be spending more time with you in your shop than you would care to think of :eek:

I alwyas look forward to seeing your work as it is such an inspiration.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
The burl is a great accent in this box. Beautiful work!

Barry Stratton
04-09-2006, 1:11 PM
I like, I like it Big Mike. This is a perfect design for a "collaborative" scroll/turning project a few of us are working on. Your work is amazing.

Frank Chaffee
04-09-2006, 1:12 PM
Michael,
The burl cab is placed very nicely in relation to the cherry grain. If it were placed more symmetrically, I think it would have become boring or trite. What you did seems to make the lid dynamic and flowing rather than static, as well as balanced.
The forms of the body and lid make me think of stones shaped by grinding in moving water. Each piece is beautiful in itself, and it’s beauty enhanced by it’s complementary relationship to the other.
Thank you for sharing another of your outstanding boxes.
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 1:13 PM
Plain my foot! Nice even grain in the body.....Anything more wood detract from that inlay! Excellent work as alway Big Mike!

Chris Barton
04-09-2006, 1:16 PM
That's a beauty!

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 1:21 PM
Barry, it may not be apparent from the pictures but the cabochon is not scroll sawed into the lid. It is a separate piece that was turned as a disc and then parted off of a waste block. Then I scooped a recess equal in diameter to the cabochon and glued it in. Then it was just a matter of turning it flush with the rest of the lid and finishing it.

Frank, again it may not be apparent from the way the pictures were taken but the cabochon is actually dead center in the lid. I know now, looking at the pictures that it appears to be off center but that is just a result of poor photography.

Thanks again for the nice feedback.:D

Frank Chaffee
04-09-2006, 4:03 PM
Frank, again it may not be apparent from the way the pictures were taken but the cabochon is actually dead center in the lid. I know now, looking at the pictures that it appears to be off center but that is just a result of poor photography.
Thanks again for the nice feedback.:D
Michael,
I did see that the burl cab is centered in the lid, and what I meant by not being symmetrically placed referred to it’s interplay with the waves of cherry grain. Sorry I was not clearer about that.

I was also going to applaud your photographic skills, but now after looking more closely at the pics, I see some lighting issues you could stand to address in the future. Of course, your skills as a photographer as well as a woodworker far exceed mine.

Again Michael, thanks for sharing your work with us, as I always enjoy your threads.
Frank

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 6:08 PM
Doh, Frank, I am afraid I am not artist enough to follow what you were saying in your first reply. I see now what you mean. Just serendipity that it worked out that way. It was not intentional I assure you. Thanks for explaining.:D

Ed Scolforo
04-09-2006, 6:13 PM
Beautiful fit and finish, Mike. The cab really sets it off.
Ed

Travis Stinson
04-09-2006, 6:17 PM
Another winner! That's a beauty Mike.:cool:

Curt Fuller
04-09-2006, 6:35 PM
Another nice box Mike. Sure got that plug to fit tight. Nice combination of woods too.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-09-2006, 9:14 PM
Great lookin' little box, Mike!

Bruce