PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Ring Box...

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Here is another ring box I turned and documented for a little project I am working on. This one is from some walnut and is 4 3/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall. This box is a simpler and plainer version.

Thanks for looking and any critiques appreciated.

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Very smooth Mike. I like the angle of the lip... Looks nice.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Another beauty Big Mike. I love that one also. Great work. I want to try some of those type boxes. I watched Dave Hout on DIY last night make one.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Mike ....I like that wood, form and finish! Like Bernie....I want to try something like that in the near future......Do you turn wet wood or dry wood for those type of boxes?

Pete Jordan
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Another beauty Big Mike. I love that one also. Great work. I want to try some of those type boxes. I watched Dave Hout on DIY last night make one.

I watched that too. Does he put it somewhere to dry or try to finish it the way it is now?

Pete

Raymond Overman
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
You can't go wrong with walnut. Nice box Michael.

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Mike, that is a beauty! Just love the walnut and what you did to it.

Corey

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the nice comments. I do appreciate them.

Ken, I use dry wood for the vast majority of my boxes. The only exception being when I use green wood to rough turn end grain boxes and then alky dry the roughs. But those roughs I allow to come to equilibrium in my hot water heater closet long before I finish turn them. These ring boxes are a simple way to get started in box turning.

Bernie, I am envious of you. I don't have access to DIY so I don't get to see Dave Hout's show. I would love to pick up turning tips, particularly on boxes from someone like him.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Great job! I like the overhang on the lid.