PDA

View Full Version : tool gloat, and goblet

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I visited the local woodcraft store Friday to drool on the tools. I left with a new "bowl scraper" I had a long day at work Saturday, so early this morning I was out on the new Rikon. I had a short piece of maple left over from the first goblet. So after sharpening the new scraper on the Tormek. I whipped out another small goblet. It's again finished with wax, and buffed.
Here's pictures for the "PP"

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Jim..........I've looked at those Pinnacle tools.....what's your opinion? I'm currently using a 1/2" round nosed scraper by Robert Larson but I'd like to get a real heavy bowl scraper.........I keep drifting to the Sorby "heavy duty" scrapers but price......so how do you like your Pinnacle?

BTW....nice goblet!

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Congrats on the new tool Jim. I'm thinking on profiling one of my scrapers like that.

Nice work on the goblet.

Ernie

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Jim..........I've looked at those Pinnacle tools.....what's your opinion? I'm currently using a 1/2" round nosed scraper by Robert Larson but I'd like to get a real heavy bowl scraper.........I keep drifting to the Sorby "heavy duty" scrapers but price......so how do you like your Pinnacle?

BTW....nice goblet!
I've just used it once this morning. It sharpened real good. After grinding on the Tormek at 200 grit. It had a nice "burr" generated on the edge, and cut real smooth on hard maple.
I'll know better after I make my "square bowl". Right now I'm deciding whether i'll use a piece of Padauk I got in the woodcraft grab box I bought, or use a piece of camphor log I've got, for a kinda natural edge effect.
I drool on the "Sorby's" when I go to the woodcraft. But the price is hard to take. The Pinnacle was only thirty four and change.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Jim that is a nice looking goblet. Nice fit and finish. Great job.

Jim and Ken about half my tools are pinnacle. I like them a lot. I like there fingernail bowl gouges and fingernail spindle gouges. Seem to hold the edge well and like you say the Sorby's kinda make you swallow hard when you look at the price. Maybe if I was a production turner.