PDA

View Full Version : Overarm Blade Guard

Steven J Corpstein
02-21-2003, 9:49 PM
Does anyone have experience with overarm blade guards on a Delta CS with a 30" Bies? What are the pros and cons of the one you are using?

Ed Falis
02-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Steven,

I don't have exactly your saw configuration, but I don't think that matters much wrt the overhead guards.

I have a Brett-Guard (see http://www.tablesawguards.com/ for one source). The version I have is the 50" cantilevered mounting that attaches to the rear fence. They make one for 30" fences as well, but you should discuss with them what you need for mounting hardware.

The guard is great. It comes with a small regular kerf splitter that's not too much hassle to take on and off. I leave it at about 7/8" high and can run the kerf in my homemade crosscut fence extension past it. You can also get a thin-kerf version.

The guard itself can be used for ripping, dadoing, molding, rabbeting and a lot of other kinds of cuts you would normally remove the guard for. It acts as a hold-down as well. There's a small adjustable anti-kickback cleat inside the guard. If you want it out of the way, you twist a knob to release it, and it hinges up and to the right above the table.

It's expensive, but I think it's worth it because it doesn't give you many excuses to not use it. And you can always move it to the next saw.

- Ed

Ted Shrader
02-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Steven -

I have a 50" Brett Guard<sup>®</sup>, same as Ed. His point about it being easy to use is key. If safety equipment is not easy to use, it doesn't get used.

I am able to swing it up out of the way to put the cross-cut sled on the saw. I like the fact that the Brett Guard<sup>®</sup> won't let the workpiece ride up off the saw table. Adjustments for thin rips are very easy.

Ted

Terry Hatfield
02-22-2003, 12:12 AM
So , I built one. This is a plan from Wood mag.

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/tabduscolbon.html

I really like it and it cost me about 30 bucks. Works great. No experience with the already made ones.

Terry

Terry Hatfield
02-22-2003, 12:13 AM

Steven J Corpstein
02-22-2003, 11:03 AM
I appreciate the input. I had the choices whittled down to either the Brett-Guard or the Biesemeyer. Price is no object when it comes to my fingers staying put.

Phil Phelps
02-22-2003, 6:58 PM
[ Price is no object when it comes to my fingers staying put. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, but I don't think the guard alone is the answer. It does give a bit of comfort knowiing there is something covering the blade. But, many times it gets in the way. I use mine for the dust collection mainly. It's an Excallaber, and does what it is supposed to do. Terry's does what they all do. And it is the least expensive. Good luck and watch those digets. :p

markus shaffer
02-22-2003, 6:59 PM
i have a brett guard and have been very happy with it. i'd look into the mounting hardware for your particular saw. i've got an aftermarket fence on my saw which didn't allow for the normal mounting. however, i have a large outfeed table directly behind my saw which i mounted it to. i mentioned this on another post, but i'll repeat it here. i also added a biesemeyer splitter which i think is a very worthwhile purchase. the only thing about the brett guard that i don't like is that it doesn't allow for the splitter to sit underneath the guard. so i modified the splitter and moved the guard forward to allow for the splitter. at some point, i'll take the time to make a new guard that will allow for the splitter to sit underneath. in the meanwhile, i'm glad to have spent the money on the guard and the splitter. they certainly were not all that cheap, but much better than the loss of some digits. and let's not mention the trouble i get with the woman of the house when i'm hurt for any reason. makes skateboarding all that more dangerous a hobby when you're not allowed to come home hurt..

-markus

Ron Jones near Indy
02-23-2003, 1:37 PM
go over to Badger Pond and check out Gordon Sampson's creation

Dan Barber
02-23-2003, 2:03 PM
You might want to check out my homemade version of a blade guard. You can see the web page here:

Shop Built Blade Guard (http://www.woodisourart.com/tablesaw/bladecover.htm)

It's one I built about 2 years ago. I have AutoCad and PDF files available of the design. I'll make them available for download on the web page within the next hour or so.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers,

Dan

http://www.woodisourart.com/tablesaw/images/DSC00033.jpg

Steven J Corpstein
02-23-2003, 3:02 PM
Dan, you did a great job and I downloaded the plans. I spent 24 yrs. in the machine shop before switching careers to IT Administration so I think I'll give the prints a good look. Thanks again for the input.