PDA

View Full Version : Darn that Stu

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 9:48 AM
Darn it Stu, your articles on tools got me thinking. I know, some folks don't think I can, and I will admit it is a limited thing. Well anyway, I started thinking that I had a bunch of old stuff that just might make some good tools. I came up with 4 items and thought I could pass them by all of you for any insights you might have. So, here goes:

Item 1 - Steel bar that my Dad used to use as a punch or rod to knock things loose, usually under a car, I believe he made it from a machine gear shaft. It measures 17" long, 1" thick on large shaft and 2/3" thick on small shaft. Weight is exactly 3 lbs. This is the most promising I think. But what to make:confused: , thinking maybe a bowl gouge.
Item 2 - is a steel bar same type of material it is 8 1/2 " long and 3/4" thick
Item 3 - is this 16" bar length Cornwell open end wrench. Markings on the handle read (13 Cornwell USA EW56). It is a 1 1/16" X 15/16". Handle thickness is 5/16". I have plenty of other wrenches covering these sizes.
Item 4 - ...who knows what... type of wrench. It is 11" long and 5/8" thick.Any thoughts or insight would be welcome.

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Yep, he sort of does that to a person doesn't he. I wouldn't have a clue as to what kind of steel those items are made of.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Yep old Stu makes ya think. :eek: :eek: :D :D

George Conklin
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I was thinkng along the same lines last night while watching Woodturning w/ Dave Hout. Dave showed what looked like a home made scraper and I thought of Stu:rolleyes: . Then I thought I could try to make a tool, but I realized that would require buying a milling machine:eek: . The idea quickly faded away.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Yep, he sort of does that to a person doesn't he. I wouldn't have a clue as to what kind of steel those items are made of.

Ernie
Ernie I don't either but it is very hard without being brittle

Don Baer
04-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Chris that last tool is a basin wrench also known as a crows foot. It real handy when you have to do things likereaching up inside of a cabinate to tighten the faucet bolts etc.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 6:57 PM
Chris that last tool is a basin wrench also known as a crows foot. It real handy when you have to do things likereaching up inside of a cabinate to tighten the faucet bolts etc.

:eek: Thanks Don, I better hang on to this... I could have used it a couple of times and just didn't realize what I had.