PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl - Second Attempt

David Fried
04-09-2006, 12:43 AM
My first attempt, a couple of weeks ago, failed.

I mounted the blank on a faceplate and got the outside shaped and then noticed a crack. I didn't know what it meant or what to do. I hopped on here but very few people were on. I PMed Ernie Nyvall and Andy Hoyt. They both responded!! I REALLY appreciate that. I spoke with Andy on the phone and learned it was a stress crack that could be turned out.

I turned some more off the outside and hollowed out the bowl. I gave it a DNA bath and let it dry it for a week. I finished the inside and flipped it around to finish the bottom. I had it in the jumbo jaws when I had a slight catch. My rim was so thin it broke. I know the real problem was I hadn't brought up the tailstock to support it.

Live and learn - I roughed out another bowl and set it aside to dry.

This morning I went through the same process and I remembered to bring up the tailstock!

This is Buckeye from John Hart, 4 3/8 inches across and 2 3/8 inches high - finished with Mr. Hart's Secret Finishing Recipe.

Just about the right size for ice cream when you have company watching.:D

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Way to go David!

Outstanding!

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
David that is a nice bowl for the first one. I like the fit and finish. Great work. They will get easier from now on.

David Fried
04-09-2006, 1:02 AM
Way to go David!

Outstanding!

Thanks for the kind words and more importantly your support!

... They will get easier from now on.

I hope so!

Of course, I come running home from the shop all excited. I hand the bowl to my son and ask him if knows what it is. He looks at it, turns it over, and asks if it's a funnel I forgot to put the hole in!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 2:49 AM
Outstanding David! I happy for you! Congrats!

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 7:18 AM
David, a very fine bowl, first, second or 73rd! I like the form and finish. Only suggestion I can make for improvement is to dress up the bottom a little. The flat bottom is a little plain and the nice form you turned inside and out is deserving of a pretty little bottom.;)

Bob Noles
04-09-2006, 7:52 AM
David,

You have a winner there. The figure of the wood is striking.

Nice Job!

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 8:07 AM
As a fellow "rookie bowl turner", who appreciates your tribulations. Thats a beautiful bowl.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-09-2006, 8:46 AM
Very nice, I hear my chuck is soon to be winging it's way over here to me, so I hope to join you in this bowl turnig stuff.

Very nice indeed!

Cheers!

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 9:50 AM
Alright David. Looks good. Nice form and finish.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 9:52 AM
David, I like it and I really like the thickness. Good Job!

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 10:21 AM
David it looks great! I like the size and shape, nice looking wood as well. Good job!

Corey

David Fried
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Only suggestion I can make for improvement is to dress up the bottom a little.

My real goal was to get this one off the lathe in one piece. Since I killed the first one doing the bottom I was determined to do as little as possible and get it off the lathe! My left hand was literally holding my right back as I kept seeing possibilities. Next time ....

This one will be the first piece I've ever signed and clearly marked as bowl number one. I've decided to box it up and send it to my mom in California who turned 79 and is feeling old. Hope this cheers her and gives her some bragging rights for awhile!