PDA

View Full Version : J-Line jointer

Joe Chritz
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Been eyeballing an 8 inch J-line jointer on an auction sight that shall remain nameless.

It is made by Broadhead-Garrett, Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. My limited research shows that it was manufactured by Yates-American for them.

It appears to be in decent shape with a 1.5 horse Baldor motor. If I can arrange shipping and its cheap enough would this make a decent resto project.

Thanks in advance again

Joe

Jamie Buxton
04-09-2006, 12:07 AM
You have 3-phase? At the current jointer bid, the equipment to make 3-phase will cost you more than the jointer itself.

And then you have to go to Virginia to pick the jointer up. Your profile doesn't say where you live....

Joe Chritz
04-09-2006, 12:26 AM
I am looking at shipping costs tomorrow. I have a converter to use so the 3PH motor isn't a problem.

The shipping may be a few hundred so it may be a dead deal anyway.

I shall go and address that profile right away I wasn't aware it didn't say. Apologies all around, those responsible have been sacked.

Joe

Gary Swart
04-09-2006, 1:51 AM
Don't want to rain on your parade, but the shipping will kill you! That the big problem about finding machines at online auctions. You may get a decent price for the machine, but they are so darned heavy they have to go freight and it's big bucks.

CPeter James
04-09-2006, 7:59 AM
Broadhead-Garrett, Co is a firm dealing in school supplies. They bid on everything from paper towel dispensers to shop equipment. They make nothing. This is probably a school take out that they took in trade. I have heard that Yates American is nervous about lawsuits and asking schools to remove thier equipment. I just went to an auction that had two Yates wood lathes that were removed for this reason.

CPeter

Jeff Horton
04-09-2006, 9:48 AM
I have a J-line lathe and yes Yates American made most if not all of their tools. They were bought out but kept making the same things, just marketed under the j-Line name. From what I have seen they made good quality machines. If I didn't have a shop full or machines to rebuild you would bidding against me on this one. :D

Dev Emch
04-09-2006, 1:26 PM
Most of what has been said is correct. Buying, shipping and restoring machines is a pile of work and not always cheap. It pays to pick the candidate project well. As many companies got into trouble, they began the cost engieering or value engineering of their product line to lean up and stay alive. I personally do not enjoy/endorse/recommend, etc. some of these machines. Although the J-Line is yards above many new machines being sold today, they were not nearly the quality of the older flag ship machines. I have seen 8 inch yates three toes/wedge beds that are worth the effort. I also feel that the oliver 144 is vastly superior to the machine your looking at. If you can get a super smoking good deal on it, that is one thing. This jointer will not let you down. But if the costs and efforts begin to escalate, I would sincerely suggest you begin looking for an oliver 144.

Joe Chritz
04-09-2006, 8:57 PM
Thanks. I have a number in my head which I don't think I will be able to stay under with shipping. Not having a commercial account it is bound to be to high.

If this one doesn't go through I will continue the search.

Back to the sander, hoping to complete two loft beds by tomorrow.

It's not looking good (to get done that is).

Joe