PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hickory Vase

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
I roughed turned this piece way back in December at a time when someone mentioned that it would be nice if we all took progress pics. So, I did. But completely forgot that I had done so until tonight as I was saving the pics of the finally finished piece.

Wasn't the most impressive piece of wood. It began as a 22" diameter bowl blank and when I chainsawed it for roughing it kept falling apart mushy piece by mushy piece. Such is life when you're knee deep in this stuff. Anywho, this vase (maybe it's a hollow form - I dunno) is now about 8" tall and 5" across with wall thickness of a 3/8", perhaps more.

Here's the first shot showing it mounted with a wormscrew in the chuck and ready to go.

And here it is after I hacked away at it trying to find out what was hiding inside.

I then took it outboard and did some deep mush diving.

Here it is all roughed in December and ready to be ignored.

A close up.

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2006, 11:51 PM
And here it is today. Not the most handsome piece; but that's okay. Each one adds depth to the experience.

Corey Hallagan
04-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Great Photurial! I think it looks great. I love spalted wood. I like it!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Andy it looks beautiful. I really like the looks of spalted wood. Finished very nice. Great work Andy.

Curt Fuller
04-09-2006, 12:58 AM
That's a beauty Andy! I like that shape a lot. The spalted wood is some pretty stuff too.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2006, 2:50 AM
Looks good to me Andy!

Glenn Hodges
04-09-2006, 3:15 AM
Beautiful Andy, thanks for sharring it with us. That spalting is nice to look at but if it gets to soft is the devil to work.

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 7:13 AM
Andy, very nice looking piece. I like that form. Is the pith of the tree running through the center of the vase about midway through the bottom half of the piece? I see concentric circles of grain and was curious....

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2006, 8:01 AM
Thanks all.

Mike - Hey! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast today, much less something from three and a half months ago. But.....As I recall, the original large chunk was a crotch piece which I guess explains why I worked hard to get something out of it. But the crotch completely fell apart. So yup. It's pith, and I'm guessing it was the smaller branch portion that we see here.

Jim Dunn
04-09-2006, 8:49 AM
Stunning Andy. Real nice piece!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Very nice Andy. Do you find "Spalted" catches easily? I've been wrestling with some and had to throw out four small turnings already. I just got one to a place where it seems like it will be good but I took it off to practice on some other stuff so I dont ruin it. Great Job!

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I like that form Andy. Gonna have to give that a try.:)

Ernie

Jim Becker
04-09-2006, 11:46 AM
And here it is today. Not the most handsome piece; but that's okay. Each one adds depth to the experience.

Actually, I think it is quite handsome...and has a lot of character.

Don Baer
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree with Jim. It kinda looks like a Greek urn.

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Well, if all of you like it maybe I should too.

Chris - A catch in this soft stuff differs from a catch in solid wood much like the difference between driving your car into a mud hole and a brick wall. Both stop the car but one is a wee bit less expensive when you get it repaired.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 6:53 PM
Well, if all of you like it maybe I should too.

Chris - A catch is this soft stuff differs from a catch in solid wood much like the difference between driving your car into a mud hole and a brick wall. Both stop the car but one is a wee bit less expensive when you get it repaired.

Now I'm good and confused maybe the stuff I have isn't "spalted" because it is hard as a rock.

Ed Scolforo
04-09-2006, 7:30 PM
Andy, I gotta say I like it.

Pete Jordan
04-09-2006, 7:51 PM
Andy,

The bowl looks great but the lathe looks a little washed out.

Pete

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-09-2006, 8:17 PM
Very interesting piece, Andy! I KNOW you had your face shield in place, to catch all the goop!

Bruce

John Miliunas
04-09-2006, 8:47 PM
Hey Andy, nice piece! It has that Roman-esque look to it! :) The only question I have is what did you do with it between Dec. and now??? DNA or just throw it up on a shelf??? :confused: :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 9:41 PM
Now I'm good and confused maybe the stuff I have isn't "spalted" because it is hard as a rock.

Christopher, spalted wood doesn't have to be soft or punky. The spalting will start right after a tree is cut down if it is left in a warm, humid environment. If left for too long though, it will start to get punky, but then if it's purdy enough you turn it anyway and hope for the best.:D

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
04-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Christopher, spalted wood doesn't have to be soft or punky. The spalting will start right after a tree is cut down if it is left in a warm, humid environment. If left for too long though, it will start to get punky, but then if it's purdy enough you turn it anyway and hope for the best.:D

Ernie
Thanks Ernie that makes it a lot clearer.

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Once again - thanks.

Pete - :cool:

Bruce - No face shield. Actually no nothing. I'm a new afficiando of nude coed turning.:D Honestly, the way the stuff flies off on initial cuts I often wear an old pair of hockey shoulder pads.

John - It sat and sat and sat for two months loosing weight. Then when I first tried the DNA approach I threw it in and weight stabilized within a week.

Chris - What Ernie said. This stuff came from Mike Cutler (down in CT) who intentionally left it on the ground in the round under a pile of leaves for three years just to see what would happen. I happened along and scored it.

And there's still more to come. I'm just now into the really big stuff, and it's all getting bowlerized.

John Hart
04-10-2006, 7:38 AM
Very nice Mr Hoyt. I agree with J.M. ...Romanesque...maybe Egyptian....Maybe the period immediately after when the Romans destroyed the Egyptians, stole all their artwork, then claimed the style as their own. ;)