PDA

View Full Version : Nicked Router Bit?

Russ Filtz
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Bought a "slightly" used CMT bit set off fleabay (first mistake I guess). When the set arrived, one bit was loose in the box and sure enough there was a small nick in one cutting edge. Not sure if the banging around did it, or was shipped as such.

Question is, is this bit still safe to use, or will the carbide proceed to self-destruct further? Should I dress the edge some with a diamond file? No pics yet, sorry. The nick is very tiny and I assume the other edge will pick up the slack.

Jamie Buxton
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
A lot of my router bits have little nicks, and I use them anyway. They often get little nicks from hitting something in the wood. If the nicks get too big, I declare the bit dead, and buy a replacement.

David Eisenhauer
04-09-2006, 9:51 AM
What about sharpening? I've got some 20 yr old, 1/2" shank carbide bits that get sharpened periodically as needed, seems to work without problems. Why not sharpen the nick out, why throw the bit out and buy a new one? I'm just curious if I'm missing something, your bits you can do what you want with them.

Steve Ash
04-09-2006, 9:58 AM
A fellow Creeker has a sharpening service that I use (Keith July) he is also able to remove a carbide tip and weld another in, sharpen it like new at a very reasonable cost. PM him if you want to ask about replacement.....and Keith take the commisson off my next sharpening.

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't worry about the nicks. Everything needs sanded afterwards anyway.
When they get dull, then the sharpener usually removes the nicks

Keith July
04-09-2006, 1:47 PM
Russ,
Many times a small nick or chip can be ground out. My first question is how small is small? Sometimes big chips can be ground out but on the big ones there is always a concern about cracks.
I sharpen many bits with small nicks but if it was banging around in the shipping box it might be cracked which would mean the carbide must be replaced, or the bit discarded.
Take a close look with a bright light and if you don't see any cracks have it sharpend.
As David Eisenhauer said with periodic sharpenings router bits will last for years.
Keith