PDA

View Full Version : Update on 15 chest of drawers..pictures..

Michael Pfau
04-08-2006, 9:26 PM
Just an update on how the chest is coming along. The drawers are nearly complete. 108 dovetails in the whole chest! This has been alot of fun to build, I must say. When completed I will show again..thanks for looking.

Chris Barton
04-08-2006, 9:35 PM
Michael,

What a great piece! Loads of detail in a conservative package. Stay warm!

Brian Jarnell
04-08-2006, 9:36 PM
I have never seen a panelled back before,so far looking good.

Keith Christopher
04-08-2006, 9:39 PM
Very very nicely done !

Chris Barton
04-08-2006, 9:43 PM
Wish i were down on the fire hole casting nymphs to big browns...

Michael Pfau
04-08-2006, 9:44 PM
Chris, you mean the Big Hole?..river..

Frank Chaffee
04-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Michael,
There is so much to complement here I don’t know where to start. The chest is beautifully designed and very well constructed.
What strikes me most is the progressive drawer sizing and the pattern that alternating full and half width drawers makes. Very cool!

…And did you use the Leigh to do the sliding dovetails for the web frame as well? I tired that once but never found it to work that well so I'm curious if you did it this way.
I would like to reiterate Jason’s question from your previous thread.

One more question Michael, how do you like the Leigh Jig?

Great progress and I look forward to seeing more.

Frank

Larry Norton
04-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Michael, I absolutely love anything Shaker style. The more draws, the better! It's going to be a beautiful piece.

Michael Pfau
04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I used my Leigh24 for all dovetails. The top is through dovetails, the web frame is sliding, and the drawers are half blind, all made with the Leigh. I love the Leigh Jig! To me its worth every penny.

Chris Barton
04-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Chris, you mean the Big Hole?..river..

I was thinking closer down to the Yellow Stone. I have been going to Montana for a few years now to fish for trout...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Michael....Chris found the fishing so hot one day......he meant Big Hole but used a descriptive name...........:rolleyes:

Pete Harbin
04-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Looking good Michael!

Pete

Dana Nurmela
04-09-2006, 6:28 AM
:eek: Very nice! Such detail will be very rewarding when finished I would think.

Frank Pellow
04-09-2006, 7:15 AM
Thanks for the update Michael. I liked it the first time that I saw it and like it even more now. The panelled back is a nice touch.

Chris Barton
04-09-2006, 8:39 AM
Michael....Chris found the fishing so hot one day......he meant Big Hole but used a descriptive name...........:rolleyes:

Ohh, that sounds evil. The "Fire Hole" river is a smal river inside the park that is one of my favorites to fish. I haven't been up there in a couple of years. Too many good places to catch trout in TN and a lot closer to my shop.

George Kretschmann
04-09-2006, 8:56 AM
Is that going to be a in the shop cabinet or in the house? looks great !!!!

David Eisenhauer
04-09-2006, 9:34 AM
Looking very good - drawers and back panel. But,,,,,,, I do have a question. Will this thing be kind of tippy if it is on a carpeted floor? How tall is it? I echo your sentiments about the Leigh, love it. Only complaint I've had about mine is the sawdust coming right back at you, but I believe the newer model has a DC port or something that stops the bulk of it from heading straight at the router driver. What did you use for drawer bottoms?

Byron Trantham
04-09-2006, 9:50 AM
Boy, nice job. Those dovetails must have taken a bit of time. they look great!

Michael Pfau
04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
David...its 50 inches tall. With all the cherry, and web frames built in it, and the drawers, its quite heavy! It should stand on carpet with ease. As with the dust control, on the leigh, what I have found, is I put the jig about high chest level, on a large storage box I built for the jig. Clamp it down, and I use a full shield head gear. I can see what I am doing, and the dust is not a problem, until its time to clean up.

Jim Becker
04-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Michael, that really is a very lovely piece. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. You might want to consider submitting it to FWW or Woodwork for their gallery pages, too!

Ron Fritz
04-09-2006, 9:03 PM
Michael, very nicely done, very clean lines. The dovetails add another dimention to the design. I'd really like to see what finish you apply. What wood did you use?

Von Bickley
04-09-2006, 9:21 PM
Michael,

Great looking piece of fine furniture...:) :) :)

Michael Pfau
04-10-2006, 5:41 PM
Cherry. I used poplar for the web frames on the inside, and maple for the sides on the drawers.

Jason Tuinstra
04-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Michael, it's looking good! Even with a d4, I'm sure this is a lot of work. Imagine being CHB and doing it all by hand... ah... no thanks! The back panel looks good as well. I don't know if you have it, but you might want to check out Lee Valley and the bit that CHB designed for these panels. I got one and it works really well. Maybe you used it. I couldn't tell from the pics.

Great work!

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Nice looking. Excellent work!