PDA

View Full Version : A special pen for my FIL

Bob Noles
04-08-2006, 8:22 PM
I've been a little under the weather lately and trying to get out to the shop to turn a pen for my FIL who is 86 years old and has been in bad health, but recovering.

Today I gained enough strength to Get-R-Done :)

I was able to obtain some Olive Wood Blanks from the Holy land and selected the Jr Gent twist ball point pen kit. I turned it to what appeared to be perfection and was very happy with the results. Sanded to 12000 MM then EEE Ultra Shine and then friction polish. My poor picture taking does not do the pen justice and is absolutely beautiful in person.

Just wanted to share my accomplishment with y'all since I haven't posted anything in a while.

Open for critique or comments.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 8:48 PM
Nice lookng pen Bob! I'm sure your FIL will appreciate it!

Chris Barton
04-08-2006, 8:56 PM
Great lloking pen. The one I made for my FIL contained a C4 insert. Get well my friend...:D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2006, 9:09 PM
Bob, great looking pen. Olive wood always seems to be unique in its look.

Barry Stratton
04-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Beautiful. That olive wood is something special. I know your FIL will cherish it. Hope you and he feel better.

David Fried
04-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Looks great Bob.
I have one such blank that I am hoarding for a special occasion.
Looks like you found just the occasion!
Hope you both feel better.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Bob that is a mighty fine looking pen. I am sure the FIL will treasure it. Great work my friend.

Corey Hallagan
04-08-2006, 11:54 PM
That's a beauty Bob! Both the pen and finish looks great. I have never turned Olive but they say it turns nicely. I think your father-in-law will love it. Hope he gets better by the way. Bob, is that a chrome or black chrome kit? I have some of both to use. I love the look of a cigar kit. Nice job Bob!

Corey

Michael Stafford
04-09-2006, 7:24 AM
Bob, I think you did the wood justice. A very fine looking pen. I can tell you were motivated by concern for your FIL.

I find that olivewood pens with the "Holy Land" certificate are big sellers as gifts for ministers and the like for Christmas, birthdays etc. I love turning olivewood pens.

Bob Noles
04-09-2006, 7:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind compliments and well wishes. I was proud of this one for sure and only wish the pics had done it better justice.

Corey, the kit was actually gold.... I just take bad pictures. Next time I'll let my wife operate the camera :rolleyes: I think the black would look great with this wood also.

Ernie Nyvall
04-09-2006, 9:42 AM
Nice work Bob. I'm sure your FIL will be proud to have it.

Ernie

Frank Fusco
04-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Bob, I think you did the wood justice. A very fine looking pen. I can tell you were motivated by concern for your FIL.

I find that olivewood pens with the "Holy Land" certificate are big sellers as gifts for ministers and the like for Christmas, birthdays etc. I love turning olivewood pens.

Styles like the 7mm European can be made with cross clips. I make those and they are always popular. I just received a shipment for more. Either Bethlehem Olive wood or Dogwood are popular. I have some dogwood blanks to sell but when these are gone there may not be anymore for a long while.