PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this Saw?

Tim Clark
04-08-2006, 3:57 PM
Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile and see I share some of your enthusiasm for old hand tools.

I was at an antique barn earlier today and found a basket of fairly old saws and this one seemed interesting to me. I know next to nothing about the really old ones and hope my awful pics are enough for some of you diehards.

Mike Wenzloff
04-08-2006, 4:08 PM
Hi Tim,

The most helpful thing you could do is light it better and especially have a good shot of the medallion--but even the whole handle would be useful.

If I had to guess it would be a Harvey Peace or Richardson.

It's possible a name can be found on the medallion with a little cleaning or even rubbing with a clean cloth.

Take care, Mike

Tim Clark
04-08-2006, 4:19 PM
I appologize for the bad pic. I was hoping it would come out better.

I'll try to get back to the barn and go for better lighting.

The medallion does have an Eagle in the center, the top wording is partially readable but I forget what it is (it isn't HP or Richardson) and I didn't have my magnifier with me. The bottom word is "Superior". The handle is attached with two brass rivet/screws and the "nuts" on the other side are slotted on either side of the screw (for removal?). I couldn't find anything on the blade except surface rust.

For $7 I should have just grabbed the darned thing.

Thanks,

Mike Wenzloff
04-08-2006, 4:33 PM
I appologize for the bad pic. I was hoping it would come out better.

I'll try to get back to the barn and go for better lighting.

The medallion does have an Eagle in the center, ...For $7 I should have just grabbed the darned thing.

Thanks,
Go buy it...Sell it to me for $15 plus shipping :D

Really. It's an early saw that looks to have been badly filed at least at the heel. It's not a Disston, and evidently not an HP or Richardson. At the top it may well only read "Waranted" and so there's little to go on if that's what it says.

Probably prior to 1880 or so as it has split nuts by the sounds of it.

Take care, Mike

Tim Clark
04-08-2006, 4:57 PM
You jogged my feeble memory. I think it says "Waranted". I think I'll run out and pick it up and try to clean it up and get some better pics. I tried to post some other pics of it but they exceeded the file size allowance.

Thanks Mike.

Tim Leo
04-09-2006, 11:48 AM
For $7 I should have just grabbed the darned thing.

Thanks,

We woodworkers can be such a miserly bunch...

Tim Clark
04-09-2006, 2:20 PM
OK, my memory is like a steel sieve. Everything passes straight thru.

I had this saw mixed up with the one I posted yesterday.

Total length is about 16.75" and the blade is about 13.25".
This one has the three brass screw/rivet thingies with the split nuts.
The medalion has the eagle centered with Warranted on top and Superior on the bottom.
There are no marking on the blade that I can see. Would there be something under the handle?
I paid $21 for it.

While I'm thinking of it, where can I find info on old tools like this? If you could recomend a pocket book that I could take with me I'ld like to hear from you.

Hopefully these twp pics will help.

Mike Wenzloff
04-09-2006, 2:36 PM
Unfortunately, Tim, there isn't as detailed of information as regards specifics of non-Disston saws.

For Disston:
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

For Simonds:
http://www.geocities.com/sawnutz/simonds/index.htm

For Harvey Peace:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/hwpeace/

And I'm sure there are more. For a who's who of sawmakers, there is Schaffer's Book Handsaw Makers of North America. Most of what it contains is a listing of Names and dates of operation and location.

The second saw appears to be simply a cut down, full-size handsaw. Speculation as to why is either the saw got a non-repairable kink or perhaps to fill a need.

Take care, Mike