PDA

View Full Version : refinishing jointer tables

James Boster
04-08-2006, 3:45 PM
I recently aquired a Moak 12" jointer that is in pretty good shape. The surface of the tables have a pretty good coat of surface rust. What method is best to refinish them. They are not bad enough to require grinding and I am not going to that expense. I am thinking of using a RO sander with 180 or 220 grit paper.

Jim Becker
04-08-2006, 4:08 PM
I generally use a ROS with 220 to clean up cast iron surfaces. Once that is done, a thorough cleaning with Mineral Spirits followed by waxing completes the job.

Bob Wilkerson
04-09-2006, 7:31 AM
Try using a razor blade in a long handled holder like they use for removing stickers on windshields. It will remove most of the heavy rust quickly saving the sandpaper for the final touches.

Bob

Brian Hale
04-09-2006, 9:08 AM
Try using a razor blade in a long handled holder like they use for removing stickers on windshields. It will remove most of the heavy rust quickly saving the sandpaper for the final touches.

Bob

Bob's got it right. After the razor and 220 grit, wax is enough to make it usable. If you want to go crazy, 400 and 600 wet/dry paper will make it a nice shiny surface. Don't worry to much about any pits as they just help hold some wax which will spread as you use it.

Brian :)