PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone

Jan Williamson
04-08-2006, 2:46 PM
I 'm a newbie. I have just been given permission to "occupy" the entire garage (double) for my woodshop. I painted the garage floor to cover up the unbelievable mess I made building a boat 2 years ago.
I am now working on installing a Clearvue DC, and the huge task of ducting(PVC) (to ground or not to ground?). Maybe I will be able to actually build something this year

Bart Leetch
04-08-2006, 2:58 PM
I have had PVC duct for at least 8 years & never grounded it. No problems what so ever. Welcome to SMC.:)

Steve Clardy
04-08-2006, 3:09 PM
Welcome Jan!

Richard Gillespie
04-08-2006, 3:13 PM
Jan;

Welcome to the Creek. Lots of good people here. Got a question, somebody probably has an answer for you. Feel free to jump in, newbies are treated well.

Don Abele
04-08-2006, 3:15 PM
Welcome Jan. Like Bart I too have a PVC duct system and have had it installed in many different states in the US with different humidity levels and have never had it grounded and have never had a problem. If you search the threads, you'll find quite a few on this topic. Some have experienced static shocks from their pipe, as I said, I haven't. And rest assured, the explosion myth is just that - a myth.

Again, welcome to the Creek.

Be well,

Doc

Dave Richards
04-08-2006, 3:22 PM
Welcome Jan.

Congratulations on that shop.

Hey! Did you ever get that new mast built? Why aren't you out sailing? ;) :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-08-2006, 3:25 PM
Welcome Jan!

Congrats on the new shop!

The ClearVue is a good unit, try to use only 6" pipe to the machine, and as little flex hose a possible, as few corners as possible too.

Don't worry about grounding PVC, that is a myth, as you can't ground it anyways.

Welcome!

Oh yeah, we like pictures! :D

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 3:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jan! Good luck on that shop!

John Bailey
04-08-2006, 3:42 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jan. So, you claim you built a boat, eh! You'll come to learn that things don't happen unless we get to see a picture. So, let's see the boat. What kind is it?

John

Ron Jones near Indy
04-08-2006, 3:49 PM
Jan,
Welcome to the Creek. Nice and knowledgeable folks here. I think you will like it!:D

Mark Rios
04-08-2006, 3:59 PM
Nice ta meet ya Jan. Welcome.

Eric Shields
04-08-2006, 4:11 PM
Welcome to the creek Jan. If you built a boat then you definitely have some valuable experience that many of us here can draw from. Look forward to discussing and seening your work.

Eric

Doug Shepard
04-08-2006, 4:59 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Keep us posted (with pics or it didn't happen:D ) on the ClearVue install. I spoke with them yesterday after trading a few emails over the last week. I still need to work out a few issues on my proposed installation, and will then place an order with them.

Don Baer
04-08-2006, 5:13 PM
Welcome to the creek Jan.

Dave Richards
04-08-2006, 5:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jan. So, you claim you built a boat, eh! You'll come to learn that things don't happen unless we get to see a picture. So, let's see the boat. What kind is it?

John

I can vouch for Jan that she built a boat. She built one like mine.

Jan, that doesn't let you off the hook for pictures, though. John is a deputy with the Picture Police of which Tyler Howell is the chief. You don't want Tyler to start harrassing you for pictures. He'll put you on double secret probation. :D :p

Jay Knoll
04-08-2006, 5:30 PM
Jan

Welcome to the Creek -- but don't take after Dave! See, he says that you built a boat like his -- where is the picture of His boat? Maybe if you post a pic of YOUR boat you can say that he built one like yours. :)

Oh, this picture stuff is a slippery slope!

Seriously, welcome, we look forward to (dare we say it?) PICS

Jay

Jan Williamson
04-08-2006, 7:03 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I would post pictures if I could figure out how:confused:
Dave, I got the rudder fixed but I have yet to build the new mast.
My shop.. er... garage got so full and messy, I had to do something. So this spring it is shop renovation time. My husband gave up his half (more like he got crowded out):p
So give me some instruction as to how to post pics and I'll post them of the clearvue and may a boat pic or two.:)

Marion Rood
04-08-2006, 7:29 PM
Hello Jan,
I am still figuring out how to do the picture thing but here is a sticky on how to do it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

Of course, I want to see pictures too.:)
Nice to meet ya.
Marion

Jan Williamson
04-08-2006, 8:05 PM
36050Ok, here are some pics.36051

Jan Williamson
04-08-2006, 8:24 PM
http://groups.msn.com/WeekenderBoatbuilding/janwilliamsonsvioletsbloom.msnw

Jan Williamson
04-08-2006, 8:26 PM
I don't know what I'm doing yet:confused: 36059

Roger Bailey
04-08-2006, 8:41 PM
Hello Jan! welcome to SMC

Dave Richards
04-08-2006, 9:02 PM
Hey Jan, it works! What have you got up in the forepeak in that shot. She looks a little down at the bow. :D

Get that DC set up and get on that mast. The sailing season is upon us. Oh and if you haven't done it, check in at Frank's willya? There are folks wondering about what's become of you.

Jan Williamson
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Dave,
I just started on the shop last month, It used be a garage/storage/boat shed after all.:) I have never had a real woodshop set-up before so, it is exciting. I had to do something about the dust. (asthma)
It will be amazing if I get the DC going very quick. It still has to be wired,ducted and I have to make new port on all the machines. I just finished planning the duct location. I bought the pvc and fittings, and am ready to hang the pipe. I have a complicated table saw with the tilting arbor/motor that I am not sure what to do. I am thinking about building an outfeed table/cabinet that surrounds the table saw and incorporating the dust port within the cabinet.
The weekender(in the picture) has a person standing behind the mast (heavy gal) and I had two batteries and two 50lb sand bags in the forepeak. I could probably do without one of the sand bags. And maybe stick to one or two persons. I have some paint repair to do on the deck/cockpit too. Seems there are several areas of paint that has bubbled:mad: I may go with scraping/sanding everything off between the toe rails,(hull is fine) and going with a two part paint.
I'll pop in on Frank's site and say hi:)

Pete Harbin
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jan!

Pete

tod evans
04-09-2006, 7:03 AM
welcome jan!

George Kretschmann
04-09-2006, 9:15 AM
Welcome aboard Jan

I grounded my PVC but don't really think I needed to. It was not that hard to do and fairly cheap.

Jim Dunn
04-09-2006, 9:17 AM
Welcome Jan. Lost of good information here on the Creek. About boats and all sort of life lengthening wood working ideas. I keep about 10 projects going at a time as I don't think anything will happen to me till I'm done with all of em.

John Bailey
04-09-2006, 9:22 AM
Great little boat Jan. Is that a Devlin design? How about the particulars, length, beam sail area?

John

Mark Singer
04-09-2006, 9:26 AM
Jan...a great big welcome to the Creek!

Ron Fritz
04-09-2006, 9:13 PM
Hello Jan and welcome to the Creek. You'll find really great people here. It appears that we share similar interests, woodworking and sailing, although I can't claim that I build my sailboat.

Von Bickley
04-09-2006, 9:25 PM
Jan,

Welcome to the Creek...

Tyler Howell
04-09-2006, 9:56 PM
Welcome Jan.
Love a tiller in one hand an sheat in the other.
Fair winds;) .

Jan Williamson
04-10-2006, 1:19 PM
The boat is a Stevenson designed,"weekender" It is gaff rigged, 19ft when you count the bow sprit. It is built from marine plywood, and VG doug fir. The hull, cockpit and deck are fiberglassed with one layer of 6oz cloth. The sails are polytarp, but I plan to make a dacron sail. I spend over 50 hours just sanding. All with a little handheld Dewalt orbital. The boat totals over 800 hours labor. Loved every minute, (mostly):)
Here is why I am working on the shop right now:eek: , 36225 Gaff36224

John Miliunas
04-10-2006, 2:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Jan! :) Looks to me like we may have some learnin' to do from you! Neat boat and you have yourself a swell start to that DC system. Once that gets done, you'll be wondering what you've done without it for so long! :) Anyhow, keep those pics coming! Appears that you do marvelous work! :) :cool: