PDA

View Full Version : Moving / Storage Damage

Don Abele
04-08-2006, 2:43 PM
Last summer the Navy transferred me from Chesapeake, VA to Boston, MA. My stuff was packed and shipped, then placed in storage for almost 6 months (waiting for me to finally get back from a small detour they had for me). When we finally got our stuff delivered, it was in good shape for the most part. We had the usual number of broken household items, as well as damage to my tools.

There were quite a few hand tools bent/broken, including several of my bessy clamp heads. They also did me the favor of dumping my screw storage bins into a box on the side!!! So now I have about 1000 screws to sort.

My shop cabinets took a fair beating as well. My miter saw/storage cabinet had 4 of the slides for the drawers busted and the door/side got dinged up pretty bad. The top cup hinge was also pulled out (you can see how the door is misaligned).

Now, before they packed everything, I coated all the metal surfaces with TopCote and yet still wound up with a lot of rust.

The drill press column is about 60% covered. My bandsaw tabletop is about 50% covered. The jointer tables are about 30%. The jointer also had a lot of the paint worn off of the top of the fence, as well as the top knob/lever is missing.

Oddly enough, the tablesaw has NO rust on it what so ever. The items mentioned above are the only things with rust on them - Odd???

As I do after every move I will spend a week or so cleaning and tuning everything back up, ensuring everything is aligned and tight (going to pay special attention to the jointer fence). But before I can do that I need to get that rust off. I know a lot of you have gone through this, and I've re-read some of the posts. So what's the "best" method you'd recommend.

Also, because of the amount of visible rust, should I be looking for anything else (ie: should I be concerned with rust in the motors)?

It's good to be back at the Creek where I know assistance with a problem like this is only a message away. Thanks for your help...

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
04-08-2006, 3:13 PM
Wheew. Sounds like a lot of damage Don. Any insurance recourse?

Rust. I use a ROS sander, 220 grit on most flat surfaces, then followed by a soft pad with wd-40. Then a coating of bees wax.

Mark Rios
04-08-2006, 3:57 PM
Don, these folks here know what you need to do and will tkae good care of you, as Steve has already started. I just wanted to thank you for your service. Not only do you do your part to keep us and our country safe but you also have to put up with this kind of extra (male bovine feces) stuff like you're asking about now.

Thank you very much.

Eric Shields
04-08-2006, 4:20 PM
Don,

Congrats on your successful return. Many thanks for your service. Though it was pre Iraq and Afganistan, I do recall how gently the movers for Uncle Sam can be (not only damage, but "lost" property). Sorry to hear/see the damage you get to clean up. Though after your wwing "break" I'm sure the last thing you want to do is clean up more than you anticipated. Best of luck getting back to the saw dust. Unfortunately I can't contribute to your delimma as I am just getting started on my shop.

Eric

Matt Meiser
04-08-2006, 4:40 PM
I used my ROS with a green scotchbrite pad to clean rust off my bandsaw table which looked similar to yours when I bought it.

Greg Tatum
04-08-2006, 4:56 PM
How well I remember the PCS moves....your experience is the very reason I always did a DITY move....I would rather spend the time packing and moving myself than deal with all the red tape to make a claim against damage...I also routinely made a bit of change on the side:) (used to be 80% of gvrnment cost)

Also, let me thank you for your service.

Don Abele
04-08-2006, 6:41 PM
Steve, as Greg alludes to the process of filing a claim with the government is a lengthy one. I have to provide a list of damaged goods first. Once it gets approved then I can have appraisals done, one for repair, one for replacement for every article that's damaged. It's gets difficult with things that I've built because there really isn't a replace/repair value. I could get a cabinet maker to come out and give me quotes, but it just winds up being a major PITA. Many military people don't file because it's too cumbersome and time consuming.

Greg, I used to do DITY (Do It Yourself) moves, but with 25,000 pounds to move, that's just too much. The governments allowance for me is only 15,000 so I end up paying for the 10,000 extra pounds (this last move was at a cost to me of $5800).

But even with all the "male bovine feces", as Mark put it, I love what I do and wouldn't change it for anything. I've been in for 19 years now and know that I won't be retiring any time soon. I've said for many years that I'll keep doing it until they make me leave!

Be well,

Doc

tod evans
04-09-2006, 7:14 AM
don, sandpaper or red scotchbrite are what i use to remove rust. i`ve found a heavy coat of wax will do more to fight rust than any of the spray formulas...02 tod

Jim Davenport
04-09-2006, 8:28 AM
Don,
As a veteran/victim of many moves during my twenty years in the navy. Stick to your guns, and file the claim. I've been retired 23 years, and see that the process is still the same. The only way to make it better for everyone is to be a "Squeaky wheel". If everyone complained about the terrible service from movers, it might finaly get better. Good luck.
I see that you're stationed on the USS Constitution.
That reminds me when I was the Discipline Chief at the Service school command at Great Lakes. My Legal Officer was a Woman "Jg" . She said she had a call from a chief on the "Constitution" about an "UA" sailor that they'd like us to get picked up. Being in a smart mood I picked up the phone, and asked if when they got him back, they were going to lash him to a "Hatch cover" and give him a taste of the "Cat o nine tails".
I was embarrased when the chief on the phone was off the USS Constellation, not Constitution, and didn't have a clue what I was talking about.:confused:

Andy Hoyt
04-09-2006, 9:27 AM
Jeez! That's too bad, Don. When I was an 8404 type HM I got all the cushy assignments in exotic locations - foxholes, tail end of C130s, bilgewater racks on gators, leaky Amtraks. So I really really feel sorry for you in your new duty station. Striped tee shirts for a naval uniform; underway one day a year (maybe); Fenway Park in easy striking distance; access to the mother of all woodworking shops. Yup! Lousy duty.

Oy! I'm jealous. And welcome back to the realm of surface dwellers.

Don Abele
04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Jim, as much of a pain as it is, I do file every time. It always amazes me at how they depreciate things (electronics fall to like 50% of their value within a couple of years). Last claim I filed was for $2800 and they reimbursed me $1200.

Andy, nice to know you are a fellow 8404. I started my career as one, serving at both Camp Pendleton (with a deployment to the PI) and at Camp LeJeune. I then did a short stint in medical research (8503) before going into the submarine community (8402), where I have been for the past 13 years. This switch to the "target" community has been a real change. Life aboard Old Ironsides is extremely interesting and rewarding, though is not as easy as I (or many others) think. As for that woodshop - shhhhh...I'm saving that for a photo essay I'm working on.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
04-09-2006, 11:01 AM
OK, so sanding using the ROS sound like the best bet. I got an offline recommendation to scrape at it with a razor to remove the bulk first.

So, you've recommended both red and green scotch brite pads and 220 sandpaper. I've never used the pads - what are the equivalent grits to them? And what's the advantage to using them over regular sandpaper?

I've also been told to use WD-40 during and/or after sanding. I assume that the during part would only be with the pads.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I wipe down with wd-40. Let it dry somewhat. Sand.
Wipe with wd-40 again. Back and forth till clean.

Bart Leetch
04-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Don I used the 220 grit & then cut a green Scotchbrite pad to fit the ROS sander it works great & leaves a nice finish. I used it with WD40 on the Unisaw that I re-conditioned.

Don Baer
04-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey doc welcome back. After your done doing what Steve said just get some Paste wax (not car wax) and give the surfaces a good coat.
BTW my sons a doc also. He's at Lejune. I been trying to take him into swithcing over to Subs I think that a set of dolfins would look nice above his FMF pin. I guess I partial to the boats since I'm an ex bubble head.:D

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2006, 2:32 PM
Hi Don, I was moved by the Navy a few times and there was always some damage so I feel for you. But like the others said, stick with the reimbursement process and get something out of it. No, it doesn't make up for all the damage but at least you'll get something. It usually made me feel somewhat better about the losses.

BTW I served at Lejeune for two years in the Dental Corps. I was lucky enough to have my best friend who was in the Marines stationed there at the same time. Boy did we have some fun going shooting everything from grenade launchers to 45 autos. That was a lot more fun than fighting cavities in the office. :) It sounds like you have a very interesting career. Good luck to you and thanks for your service to your country. Alan in Md.