PDA

View Full Version : How to process Burl??

Frank Stevens
04-08-2006, 2:19 PM
Ok,
My computer has been up and down so I can't post any gloat pictures, :rolleyes: but I have aquired some burls.
One a fantastic burl that's bone dry. Don't know if it was on a tree that died or has just been so long since it was cut. I believe it is Walnut
The others are fresh, some I cut last night. Some a week ago and are Maple.
I hit all exposed cut sides with Anchor Seal and put them in my back workshop out of the light. Figured a long slow dry was probably best.

I'll listen to any and all ideas on how they should be treated. Some are large..size of two basketballs.

One question I have is how to clean off the bark to show all the natural edge and spikes?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Parker
04-08-2006, 2:45 PM
I'm about to start roughing out several walnut burls, I'm going to try boiling it for a couple of hours to see if I can keep the eyes from developing splits on them. These pieces are covered in eyes, that seems to be the biggest problem I have with burls. Slow drying is probely the best way to go but I don't have the patients to wait.
Frank

Frank Stevens
04-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Frank,

Keep us posted on your results.

There has to be other people out there with burl experience!
Anybody? :confused:

Frank

Frank Fusco
04-09-2006, 12:16 PM
This must be the 'Frank' forum today. :) I acquired some oak burls also. They were so heavily figured and gnarly that turning anything large would not be possible. So, I saw them up into pen blanks and sent those off for stabilizing. From one oak burl pen I have made so far, I'm sure the rest of them will be equally spectacular.
Frank

Frank Stevens
04-10-2006, 7:00 PM
Well in my search I came up with this old article about a turner that uses a pressure cooker to cure his green bowls.

A side benefit is the bark comes loose from the burl.:D

Read on and let me know what you think.
http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/putting_the_pressure_on.htm

Frank