PDA

View Full Version : Moving Help

Mike Hill
04-08-2006, 1:51 PM
This is REALLY off topic :) We are moving in a couple of weeks from St. pete Florida to Austin (Round Rock) Texas. Doing our own packing. One problem I have is that we have to large dresser mirrors that are oversized and need to be crated. I tried finding a picture or instructions for crating mirrors on the Internet, but failed. Have any of you ever done this? Of course I have the tools and equipment, but need some advice from someone experienced in crating.

Thanks
Mike Hill

Jim DeLaney
04-08-2006, 1:58 PM
Your best bet would be to buy a "Mirror Pack" from on of the major van lines. It's a cardboard box and frame that isolates the mirror itself in the center of a carton. They're expandable to fit just about any size mirror or large art piece. Should run less than $20 from Allied, etc. Maybe cheaper through U-Haul, or other sources.

We've got a 3' X 4' bevel-edged mirror that's been all over the country over the past 40 years, without incident. The mirror packs protect it quite well.

Don Abele
04-08-2006, 2:52 PM
Mike, I've moved a large 4x6 mirror for the last 5 or 6 moves. As Jim said, they used a "mirror pack" for it. It's a box with 2 sides open, the other 2 sides have corrugated "bumpers" on them. Depending on the size the mirror, they just slip 2 or 4 of the boxes together to form 1 large box. They also wrap the mirror in padded packing paper first so it fits tight into the box. Unlike them moving my tools, we've never had a problem with a mirror or our glass table being broken.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Hill
04-08-2006, 3:07 PM
Don and Jim. These are roughly 4X5's, but they are wood framed and I will need a box that is at least 3 or 4 inches wide. They are both attached (but can be removed) to large chest of drawers. I will do an internet search and see what I find. I am wondering why the movers said they need to be crated? WIll let you know what I find.
Mike

Jim DeLaney
04-08-2006, 8:35 PM
Don and Jim. These are roughly 4X5's, but they are wood framed and I will need a box that is at least 3 or 4 inches wide... I am wondering why the movers said they need to be crated? Mike

When the movers say 'crated,' they're meaning that they'll 'crate' the mirror (frame and all) in a mirror pack.

The packs are big enough to allow for a pretty substantial wooden frame around the mirror. These same packs are used for transporting huge paintings and artworks, too. Beleive me, they're sturdy and durable.

Don Abele
04-08-2006, 8:45 PM
Mike, like I said, our mirror is 4x6 including a 3 inch wide frame all the way around plus a pretty ornate top. It's about 3 inches thick. The attached pic is an example I found with a quick search. The box is closed on the top and left. The right and bottom are open. This allows you to "nest" boxes together (up to 4) to make a larger box. These come in several different sizes. For mirrors they also have the corrogated "bumpers" that you can put into the boxes.

Be well,

Doc

Lee Schierer
04-10-2006, 1:10 PM
I can't add much to the suggestions you already have except: Make sure you stand it up rather than lay it down. Glass travels better in a vertical orientation rather than horizontal. It also doesn't appreciate being bent.