PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Toolhouse anyone??

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2006, 1:41 PM
Any one order from SavannahToolhouse.com ??

I just saw the PC 690 there for $119.00 before the $20.00 rebate.

Looks tempting.

I need a lighter router than my Triton to run all over the Leigh D4 I just got.

Alex Berkovsky
04-08-2006, 1:48 PM
Is this the PC690LR model? Woodcraft is also selling it for $120 plus there is a $20 mail-in rebate and a $10 discount.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2006, 2:26 PM
Is this the PC690LR model? Woodcraft is also selling it for $120 plus there is a $20 mail-in rebate and a $10 discount.

Where do you see a $10.00 doscount??
Is that a special thing I don't get cause I don't have a coupon or code??

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2006, 3:02 PM
Amazon gave me the shipping for free.
That made the total cost $123.95

It's funny if I weren't about to be doing a boatload of dovetails I'd not have bothered with a jig at all - which is why I'm getting the fixed base router.

I saw a post somewhere on another forum where the guy said that if folks would just take the same amount of time and effort that they put into finding the right jig and bits and router and then figuring out how to get them all the work and put all that into just learning how to use a pencil, chisel, and handsaw that they'd come out ahead and be a "right dab hand" at dovetailing.

I am wondering if that isn't still true even with the ostensible "boatload of dovetails" I gotta do.

I can cut 'em by hand just fine, but it seems so much quicker to purchase my joints out-of-a-box when I'm doing a lot of 'em. Yah, it takes all the craft out of it but I'm impatient.

Lets see:
1.) Three weeks trying to get a jig and figuring which would be best.
2.) a week or two Waffling between the big PC and the leigh.
3.) Then shopping for a used jig - I couldn't bring myself to pay retail.
4.) Then $300 for a Leigh D4
5.) Then an unknown period figuring out how to use the bloody thing. It comes with a freaking book the size if War & Peace.
6.) purchasing a new (third) router. $123.95
7.) purchasing a set of compatible bits. $86.00

Have I left anything out? Probably.

Or I could have treated myself to a shiny new fancy set of Japanese or English dovetailing saws at a couple hundred dollars and just got to cutting pins and tails. Which, by the way I could have gotten along without.

YES. I'd be done by now.

But what about the next time I want a "boatload of dovetails?"

Hmmmm. Well I can still hand cut in between if I want.

Now where did I put that link for the Kitten Cannon?

Alex Berkovsky
04-08-2006, 3:45 PM
Where do you see a $10.00 doscount??
Is that a special thing I don't get cause I don't have a coupon or code??Cliff,
I received their flyer last night and it had a coupon code 55512 on the back ($10 off orders $75 or more). You do pay shipping though.

Kent Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 7:42 PM
I ordered my Bosch 1590 jigsaw from Savannah Toolhouse. They had it on sale for $135 (NEW, not recon) which is by far the best price I've seen. I was completely satisfied with the transaction.

James Ayars
04-08-2006, 9:55 PM
$135 for the Bosch 1590 is an A+ price. Congratulations, that's a great jigsaw.
James

Michael Gibbons
04-09-2006, 9:18 AM
Cliff, You could handcut the dovetails on the first drawer in a chest and when it comes time to show someone your work, only open that drawer and say "look, hand cut dovetails" leave the rest closed. Problem solved.and you can now justify having both router jig and chisels.:D