PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova2

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 1:00 PM
I was looking at the Super Nova2 chuck and thinking of getting one. If I was to buy one what jaws should a guy get with it? It comes with the #2 jaws. Right now I will be doing bowls and boxes mostly along with some candle holders.

George Conklin
04-08-2006, 2:08 PM
Hi Bernie,

I have the Super Nova 2 and have used the 50mm jaws that come with it for all of the bowl work that I have done so far. I have purchased several of the other jaws that are available, but still find that I use the 50mm the most. Teknatool also sells a faceplate ring that fits the dovetail in the 50mm jaws that comes in real handy.

John Strait
04-08-2006, 2:14 PM
Hi Bernie,

I have the Super Nova 2 and have used the 50mm jaws that come with it for all of the bowl work that I have done so far. I have purchased several of the other jaws that are available, but still find that I use the 50mm the most. Teknatool also sells a faceplate ring that fits the dovetail in the 50mm jaws that comes in real handy.

If any of you purchase the 50mm faceplate ring, check your 50mm jaws to make sure they are indeed 50mm. Mine were 54mm and Teknatool had to send me another set that was exactly 50mm. Teknatool and Charles at Wood Chips were excellent at taking care of it. It might be something you want to check in case you ever consider the ring purchase in the future.

john

John Miliunas
04-08-2006, 2:27 PM
Bernie, I have both, the Super Nova and the newer SN II. Personally, I really think they've made great improvements on Version 2! Nice chuck and I agree with George that, the stock jaws are fine for most work. Go for it!!! :) :cool:

Michael Stafford
04-08-2006, 3:16 PM
Shoot Bernie, it is only money!:p Get a set of all the jaws and then get a chuck for each set. I am trying to work that into my budget. I find numerous uses for the different jaw sets and it is easier to discover the new uses when the jaws are already attached to a chuck.:D

The 3" jaws, bowl jaws they are called are a very useful size and well suited for bowls both in the expansion and compression modes.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 3:42 PM
The only concern I had is I have read the NovaII has dovetail jaws. The oneway Talon is the other I was looking at has straight jaws. The one I have now uses a straight tenon. Is there any advantage to either? Thanks.

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2006, 3:46 PM
Hey Bern. If the SN2 has a set of jaws for grabbing itty bitty stuff (as in 1/4") grab 'em. They come in really really handy.

Jim Stoppleworth
04-08-2006, 4:11 PM
The only concern I had is I have read the NovaII has dovetail jaws. The oneway Talon is the other I was looking at has straight jaws. The one I have now uses a straight tenon. Is there any advantage to either? Thanks.

Bernie,
I have the SN2 also, after I cut the tenon I take a skew with the long point against the bottom of the bowl and very quickly peel a dovetail into the tenon.
I learned to do that after I orbited a bowl with a straight tenon. Won't ever forget to cut the dovetail again.:D

Jim

John Shuk
04-08-2006, 8:08 PM
I've heard famous turners who like straight jaws like the Oneway. I've also heard them advocate for the dovetail. It really is a personal preference IMHO. Get what you can afford and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 8:53 PM
Bernie........I have the Super Nova 2......For tenons that are external on the piece being turned you use straight tenons and I typically use a parting tool. For tenons internal to the piece (recessed ATAH) you use dovetails. I've cut these dovetails by first using a spindle gouge or scraper then the skew to flatten the bottoms and make the dovetailed recessed corners.

Did I communicate that clearly?

It's a good chuck that even an uneducated inexperienced novice can't screw up! DAMHIKT!

Andy Hoyt
04-08-2006, 9:58 PM
......For tenonsinternal to the piece ...... Did I communicate that clearly?..... No! I thought you were talking about a stomach disorder.

tenonsinternal = recess

or in flatland = round hole

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it.

Andy I planned on getting the small chuck that goes down I think to .43".

Corey Hallagan
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Bernie, momma isn't going to be happy buddy! Better turn her something real cool before you obtain permission... kind of like:
Here is a beautiful vase I made you......can I order the supernova 2 with the 50mm jaws!! She will say... no you will shoot your eye out! Whoops wrong movie!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2006, 12:29 AM
She finally give me the ok Corey. Except I did like Ken does. I made her a nice box and then got on my knee's and groveled. :eek: :D She said she just hates to see a grown man whine. :p