PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action...........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
OK, I don't have a bolt thick enough to make a nice 1/2" bowl gouge, but I think this bolt is about 3/8" thick.....

This is another motorcycle bolt, but this time from the engine.

I ground a groove in the bolt, to mimic a real bowl gouge.

and end view

Now I put an Irish grind on it, to the best of my ability.

I hope I get a chance to chuck some wood and give it a spin. Need to make some handles too.

Well, what do you think? :D

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Inching into the Abyss, one motorcycle part at a time...

"Stu, that's the biggest dust-collector shroud I've ever seen! When did Honda start making woodworking gear?" :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Looks like it might work Stu. Can't wait to hear the results. Great work.

Curt Fuller
04-08-2006, 1:00 PM
The only part the wood ever gets to know is the cutting edge and that looks just like a bowl gouge to me. What did you use to grind the groove?

04-08-2006, 1:28 PM
I used a hand held angle grinder with a cut off disc, not a sanding disc.

I'm thinking of making up a jig to hold the bolt, and then put an abrasive cut off disc on my SCMS and clamp the jig down, the bolt would be held in place, and I can set the depth of final cut with the SCMS, and I can also swing the SCMS each way a few degrees to make the groove more of a V instead of just a straight cut.

Should work :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Don Baer
04-08-2006, 1:36 PM
Looks good stu but the true test is in the tasting so mount up a blank and let er rip tater chip.

Randy Meijer
04-09-2006, 3:59 AM
Unless that is some pretty good steel in that bolt, you may have a problem keeping an edge on it for long??? Good luck.....certainly worth a try!!

04-09-2006, 4:20 AM
Unless that is some pretty good steel in that bolt, you may have a problem keeping an edge on it for long??? Good luck.....certainly worth a try!!

You may very well be right. The bolts I have are rated as VERY hard, as they are engine bolts, and the engine in this bike is a stressed member, so the bolts holding in on are really top stuff.

I have a bunch of them, as I have a spare (busted) motor from a bike that I bought for parts that was crashed.

Besides, I might just end up buying a bowl gouge, as I found a place in Japan that the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Cheers!